The OFFICIAL Cavaliers Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look out :satisfied: , The Cavies are coming!

I truly believe the Cavaliers have the best overall presentation this year - followed closey by the Bluecoats. Too bad I'm not a DCI judge... :satisfied:

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

I've only seen the show a few times, so I didn't have time to really decipher the show. How do you think the show is coming along now? Is the meaning still as confusing as people found it at the beginning of the season?

Watched the ATL video finally, and I think this might be one of the best pure programs the Cavaliers have ever put on. It's incredibly well thought out, with a ton of little visual and musical details tucked in. The theme is less scattershot now, much more creepy violent-crazy "mad" than anything else - think "The Joker" type of crazy. The kind of fractured-mind visuals they're doing does make the Marine rifle segments even more spooky, I think, and as a whole, it's really gelling.

I think the mylar drums in the 2nd piece are a great touch, and it was interesting to hear how clear they come across on the video - I thought they might be fuzzier than kevlar, but that's not the case at all. The only issue is that they're not as cutting, so if anything the tenors sometimes kind of cover them up.

I love the ferris-wheel-looking drill in the middle, with the four horn boxes with CG inside as they swing around - this entire visual program has so much to love.

The only complaints I have with the show are minor tweaks - after the booming bass from the synths at the beginning, the initial horn hit comes off quiet and tinny - it probably needs a crescendo into it to reset the listener's ear. The added jazz licks from the 2nd piece are much welcome! And I think the shiny happy Richard Saucedo modulations leading up to the company front "Mad World" restatement are completely out of place for the show, but it's getting shorter and shorter as the season goes on. The entire ending was a bit jumbled, but it was a new ending too - can't fault them for that. Seriously, though, those are nitpicks - I know that.

Overall, it is just a *great* show that's being incredibly well executed right now, especially visually. They're selling the concept so well - it's taking on a life of its own. If I had a vote, they would be my champion this year, for sure.

Mike

Why does Madison have like 150 pages of posts, and Cavaliers have 9? What are people's problems with this corps this year!?!

Why does Madison have like 150 pages of posts, and Cavaliers have 9? What are people's problems with this corps this year!?!

I can't believe I 'm saying this, but I have to agree with poster " MikeN " on this one... the Cavs are surprisingly flying under the radar screen here as a Corps that is almost as entertaining as the Madison Scouts are this year musically, even though the Madison Scouts on here get lots of rave reviews this year for their show and music.

Edited by BRASSO

I think a lot of people want to see The Scouts come back into the mix of things, me included and a lot of people have a lot to say about that. The Cavaliers have been relativley consistant. Its been a rough road for the Scouts over the last 10 years or so but I think they are making progress..... as far as what I see on the field. I know there have been a lot changes internally that have affected what we see on the field and I have no idea what is going on there... nor do I want to know. That's their own business. Not unlike our changes over the past 6 months.

The best of luck to our brothers to the north of us!! See you in Indy!!!