New Unis

You march drum corps. you wear a uniform. This is one of those tily little things whwere, by itself, doesnt seem so big of a deal, but added with every other little "forward thinking" idea,,,helps to destroy the activity and step on the long history and heritage.

"Performers" ?? Again, its the same type of reasoning to try and sell the activity as the "marching arts" ..so many people come up with new terminology, or PC awareness to a problem that doesnt exist and all the PR mumbo jumbo overshadows what should be important. The folks on the field presenting their show.

Sure the 50's and 60's are gone, the military bearing and color-presentation are now gone, but do we have to turn this into a touring company of broadway/showman music and movement touring companies ???

So many things good about simple drum and bugle corps are just thrown out or destroyed to massage the egos of those that think they are more important than the activitye, the fundamentals of the activity, the nature of the competiion, and the natural order of things....progress, and change, for the sake of change is not progress at all.

Why do those in "charge" feel they have to or have the right to change the paramaters of a long standing, established pastime, and try and call it evolution or creative freedom ???

True creativity comes when you have to come up with new ideas in a defined set of parameters and rules, not change them to accomodate the lack of real creativity....imgine spending less time trying to alter this activity every year and devote that time and energy to come up withmore broad appealing, challenging, rewarding shows ??

If the designers and instructors are having a hard time coming up with fresh, new ideas...maybe its time for them to go and let someone else take the reigns.....

G

What he said.

I just shudder to think of drum corps morphing into some kind of broadway touring troupe, full of "performers" and "pagaentry." I worry that junior drum corps is turning into a Glee production. (sigh)

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure Cadets and BD look and sound the same. Same for Cavies and SCV, or Troopers and Crown. :satisfied:

Seriously. I'm not sure what people are looking at at. I don't think the uniforms designs are converging either. As for designers "pushing their vision" onto corps, last I heard it is still a very collaborative process with both the corps *and* the uniform company working very closely together.

Read the articles that pop up between FJM and Stanbury - almost every time, it's the corps that drives the process. Even Cesario, who it looks like is given the lead to extemporize a bit, works within parameters that the corps works out with him.

After a few days reflection, I really think Crown should ditch the overlays, pin a metallic crown logo on those velvet shirts and just go with those - yes, it's very WGI, but it's also quite striking looking.

Mike

What he said.

I just shudder to think of drum corps morphing into some kind of broadway touring troupe, full of "performers" and "pagaentry." I worry that junior drum corps is turning into a Glee production. (sigh)

drum corps has been broadway compared to the military for decades.

10733.jpg

Apparently, someone watched "Austin Powers" one too many times . . .all we need now is one frilly lace cravat, and that ensemble will be SMASHING, BABY! YEAH!*

*apologies for using a tired and dated cultural reference, but, c'mon . . .look at it.