REMATCH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of experience as a past DCI judge so I will answer your question: visual is becoming more and more a color guard, body movement, theme oriented "animal". unfortunately, drill, relative to interesting and complex form development is hence less crutial. It's unfortunte in my opinion and since the wgi judges have fully infultrated the drum corps visual caption there's little hope for a comeback relative to substantive drill. look at last years national champions. how many minutes did they hang out by their set ups. I mean chairs. pretty hard to miss your spot!

True that.

If that's the case, how in the world did Cadets medal?

It's not black-and-white, just shifting that direction. I was surprised last year after hearing many tapes that the Visual Performance caption has become a field "Visual Ensemble/Guard" caption. It was extremely rare that unified marching technique or corps proper timing was EVER addressed.

Scores cavies.7245 Cadets.729 Crown.7595

Children,Children, lets put away the bows and arrows!! The Cadets and Carolina Crown are (thank goodness!!) two completely different drum corps. There are some similarities, there are a lot of differences. But they're both great drum corps and usually a treat to watch. This squabbling is sort of like (not being very modest here) Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hammil fussing about who was the better skater--the one who did her spins to the left, or the one who did her spins to the right.

Most of us who are sitting here have very little real concept of just exactly how hard those kids are working to entertain us. (That sentence didn't get good marks for grammar) I do think that the bar has been raised to such a degree that if you took corps members from a world championship corps of twenty years ago, IN SHAPE, like Scotty beamed them here from 1990, they would probably have a hard time keeping up in a corps like the Cadets or Crown. :devil:

Lets celebrate the fact that we have SO MUCH to celebrate! And we have a new picture of Hoppy!! :thumbup:

Nobody said they were both not great. This is a Forums where we just discuss stuff. They are both in a class of their own, You are right! They have two different approaches. They do both work really hard and you are right. I want to see them both at every show I go too! I guess its what you like about Drum Corps and what you feel it should be? To me the sport is trying to do the same change that WGI did. I don't like WGI like I did in the past. No offense but certain lifestyles have been jammed down our throats in WGI . (I know I gonna get some grief from this comment but its true.) A lot of instructors left the sport because of it. If you don't prance across the floor now your not doing it the way it should be. I have heard others say that Crowns show is marching Bandish with all of the body stuff. I like the show better than I did this time last year so there is hope that I will buy in again to Crowns Program. I will say I could listen to them all day long! The sound is WOW! :devil:

Follow my twitter of each show