Carolina Crown MMX

Heh - I mean this - I truly started the video with the expectation of hating the show. It took less than 30 seconds for them to change my mind.

(Though I do *not* like the uniforms - sorry, guys! I think they'd be better served leaving the vest off and going with the undershirt only - that's a very indoor-percussion look, but a very fashionable one... :sad: )

Mike

Heh - I mean this - I truly started the video with the expectation of hating the show. It took less than 30 seconds for them to change my mind.

(Though I do *not* like the uniforms - sorry, guys! I think they'd be better served leaving the vest off and going with the undershirt only - that's a very indoor-percussion look, but a very fashionable one... :sad: )

Mike

Wait 'til you see it in person. *I* expected to really be lukewarm about Nimrod (even after hearing it at a camp). But the staging and expression and *control* they show in that piece just floored me.

The uniforms....well they work (both for the show *and* the choreography) :)

Clearly there's a build to a moment that's not realized. I haven't heard Crown play the ending yet but based on what I *have* heard I fully expect the ending to very satisfying.

Well spoken. Their musical choices might seem conservative sometimes but I think that's because they are absolutely determined to be musically accessible to the audience. I think M. Klesch also does a wonderful job of translating music to work on the field without destroying it's original character.

As for the redefining...IMHO you're dead accurate here. The visual demand *while playing fantastically well * are IMHO unique to Crown.

Oh yeah.... honk !

It's a different kind of demand that DCI is awarding now. Less drill, more choreography while playing is what gets the big points.

It obviously appeals to a lot of people. I'm a little on the fence about it. No matter what, though, Crown's music is loveable to most people, I think.

can anyone answer this:

the big rifle toss and drop at the end of the opening statement- on the left- and then caught at the very end of the show on the right-- is this intentional or was it a real drop? can't see enough detail on the VOD to be able to tell... i mean... it could be brilliant, or just a simple mistake...

in other words--- drop the big toss in the opener- but catch the one at the end because there's a second chance to get it right... anybody?

Edited by nero14

It's a different kind of demand that DCI is awarding now. Less drill, more choreography while playing is what gets the big points.

It obviously appeals to a lot of people. I'm a little on the fence about it. No matter what, though, Crown's music is loveable to most people, I think.

I think they still do the "run around at 200+" thing and do it well but it's just *part* of the larger repertoire of visual vocabulary.

Personally I am most impressed with the brass being able to play the last half of Danzon. Luckily as a part of the line, we never had to deal with that demand like the brass does. I can only imagine how hard that is to play what they are playing with 50+ yards from side to side.

The design staff is definitely pushing the corps this year...

can anyone answer this:

the big rifle toss and drop at the end of the opening statement- on the left- and then caught at the very end of the show on the right-- is this intentional or was it a real drop? can't see enough detail on the VOD to be able to tell... i mean... it could be brilliant, or just a simple mistake...

in other words--- drop the big toss in the opener- but catch the one at the end because there's a second chance to get it right... anybody?

I don't know the answer to this, but if that is really the case it's a freaking awesome idea. :sad:

Now I can only wait until the next recording is up to find out...

Disagree completely. They're running all over the place throughout most/all of the Khachaturian and Danzon, and they do it well. Just because they dance during the intro and ballad doesn't mean that's all they do, or that their show is "easy" by comparison. They definitely move as much/more than Cadets. I only saw Cavies' show once so I'm not really sure, but my memory is, with all the "This is my rifle" nonsense, they were standing still a lot as well.

can anyone answer this:

In the video I took at the Chesapeake show, he caught it, so unless they made a design change between then and Ft. Mill, it was probably just a tick.