Carolina Crown-most disappointing Friday

We went to the Normal show on Friday, and like most years we went early to watch rehearsals at the stadium. I know in many years past, Cavaliers have done rehearsals at the stadium and worked with the BOA kids as well.

Friday afternoon there were probably close to 700 people in the stands for the Crown rehearsal. We were probably there for about 2 hours watching rehearsal. The staff worked well with the kids, and told them they were going to do their full run through about 15 minutes early as a reward for such a great rehearsal day. They instructed the kids to take their water break and set up for the full run through. Then they asked everyone in the stands not affiliated with the corps to please exit the stands.

I have to say my wife and I were extremely disappointed. And we weren't anywhere near as upset as some of the people there. I really felt bad for one guy who was telling us he had to take 2 days off of work to come to the show, as he lived about 5 hours away, had to rent a car, and said the whole weekend was costing him over $600. He told us he would never spend another cent at the Crown souvie booth again. Unfortunately I have to agree to some extent, and my wife and I did purchase souvies at every single booth there except Crown and Pioneer(who didn't have a booth set up there that night)

Life is full of disappointments, but in reality, what would it have hurt for people to see a full run through of the show? I would guarantee you that almost every single person at that clinic probably had purchased a ticket already for that evening. Or could they have possibly told us earlier in the day that full run through would not be available to the public, so we could have gone and watched another corps rehearsal?

One of the things that makes this even more disappointing for alot of people, is the fact that there are fewer and fewer shows every year to attend, and most of the many people we spoke to that night at the show, were only going to average 2 or 3 shows for the whole year. And watching a full run through of a show can really enhance your viewing pleasure for the evening, as you have some ideas of what to watch for in the show, and allows you to see many more different aspects of the show.

So yes, Carolina Crown, we respected your asking us to leave the stands and we did leave the stands, but please understand that many people were disappointed, and many of us did not spend any money at your souvie booth that evening, although with all the BOD kids that did, you probably didn't care. But with all due respect, in the future, could you please let people know in advance you don't want them at rehearsals, so they don't waste more time off work, driving extra miles to get to your rehearsal sites, just to find out we would have been better off to go watch a corps who appreciates the fans a little bit more.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter and I were also surprised that we were told to leave. That had never happened to us before at any Corps run through we had attended.

We went to the Normal show on Friday, and like most years we went early to watch rehearsals at the stadium. I know in many years past, Cavaliers have done rehearsals at the stadium and worked with the BOA kids as well.

Friday afternoon there were probably close to 700 people in the stands for the Crown rehearsal. We were probably there for about 2 hours watching rehearsal. The staff worked well with the kids, and told them they were going to do their full run through about 15 minutes early as a reward for such a great rehearsal day. They instructed the kids to take their water break and set up for the full run through. Then they asked everyone in the stands not affiliated with the corps to please exit the stands.

I have to say my wife and I were extremely disappointed. And we weren't anywhere near as upset as some of the people there. I really felt bad for one guy who was telling us he had to take 2 days off of work to come to the show, as he lived about 5 hours away, had to rent a car, and said the whole weekend was costing him over $600. He told us he would never spend another cent at the Crown souvie booth again. Unfortunately I have to agree to some extent, and my wife and I did purchase souvies at every single booth there except Crown and Pioneer(who didn't have a booth set up there that night)

Life is full of disappointments, but in reality, what would it have hurt for people to see a full run through of the show? I would guarantee you that almost every single person at that clinic probably had purchased a ticket already for that evening. Or could they have possibly told us earlier in the day that full run through would not be available to the public, so we could have gone and watched another corps rehearsal?

One of the things that makes this even more disappointing for alot of people, is the fact that there are fewer and fewer shows every year to attend, and most of the many people we spoke to that night at the show, were only going to average 2 or 3 shows for the whole year. And watching a full run through of a show can really enhance your viewing pleasure for the evening, as you have some ideas of what to watch for in the show, and allows you to see many more different aspects of the show.

So yes, Carolina Crown, we respected your asking us to leave the stands and we did leave the stands, but please understand that many people were disappointed, and many of us did not spend any money at your souvie booth that evening, although with all the BOD kids that did, you probably didn't care. But with all due respect, in the future, could you please let people know in advance you don't want them at rehearsals, so they don't waste more time off work, driving extra miles to get to your rehearsal sites, just to find out we would have been better off to go watch a corps who appreciates the fans a little bit more.

I understand your disappointment, and fully respect your right to air it wherever you like, BUT, if you are looking for a response from Carolina Crown as it looks like you are, you would stand a better chance of response by contacting the corps office directly. *edited for spelling and grammar*

Edited by Cron

Carolina Crown is insane about secrecy. I'm willing to bet that if a member had posted a pic of the uniform before the first show, they would have sent them home without a refund. You should send this to their head office.

That's too bad. Maybe they wanted you to see the finished product in uniform and in competition. It would be pretty lame if I were asked to leave, but it's nothing to get too upset about. Hope you enjoyed the show!

They should have taken the opportunity and charged admission. :blink:

Most corps have closed rehearsals throughout the season. It is unfortunate that the staff decided to choose Normal to be one of them, given the clinic and the shear enthusiasm of BOA kids.

Are you sure it was Crown that made this decision and not the folks at the stadium? I know my family attended a rehearsal of the Cadets last year and just as they were getting ready to do a final run there was an announcement made that everyone had to clear the stadium.

We all moaned and groaned, but one of folks associated with the school that was hosting pointed out that they had less than one hour before the gates "officially" opened for that evening's show and they really needed the place to be cleared out...which I understood.

I think the Cadets were probably disappointed to lose their audience for the run of the show as well.

If it was indeed just the decision of the corps, that's not the way to treat your fans.

Are you sure it was Crown that made this decision and not the folks at the stadium? I know my family attended a rehearsal of the Cadets last year and just as they were getting ready to do a final run there was an announcement made that everyone had to clear the stadium.

We all moaned and groaned, but one of folks associated with the school that was hosting pointed out that they had less than one hour before the gates "officially" opened for that evening's show and they really needed the place to be cleared out...which I understood.

I think the Cadets were probably disappointed to lose their audience for the run of the show as well.

If it was indeed just the decision of the corps, that's not the way to treat your fans.

good point, that could be the case