Low-End Synth

Low-End Synth  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Considering DCI's current set of rules, how do you feel about the use of low-end synth?

• I wish it was used more.
    • I like how it has been used and really adds to the shows.
    • I am indifferent.
    • It shoud be used less than it currently is.
    • It should never be used.
    • What Low-End Synth?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea: ADD MORE CONTRAS

if your horn line sound is full of synth, you should only be able to max out at 10 of the 20 points. How can you score the horn line well if it is full of synth sound?

of course, I guess you could say that the synth sound should be ignored by the brass judge, since after all, it is not a brass instrument...

I decided to make a poll out of this because it keeps popping up in so many topics.... I wanted to see what all DCP'ers thoughts were.

Note - this poll is not about electronics, or even about rule changes..... just about the use of low-end synth in today's open electronic rule-book.

Lose it......

After a low-end synth is used...when the hornline re-enters.....they sound tinny. Same thing as listening to a stereo with the bass cranked up......and then turn the bass off......it sounds terrible....

Ditch it. Please!!

if your horn line sound is full of synth, you should only be able to max out at 10 of the 20 points. How can you score the horn line well if it is full of synth sound?

of course, I guess you could say that the synth sound should be ignored by the brass judge, since after all, it is not a brass instrument...

The brass judge is on the field, and does not consider any sound not produced by a brass instrument in any way shape or form. Of course, the jury is out on brass solos played into a mic and processed. You'd have to ask Bluecoats.

The brass judge is on the field, and does not consider any sound not produced by a brass instrument in any way shape or form. Of course, the jury is out on brass solos played into a mic and processed. You'd have to ask Bluecoats.

shouldn't it affect EM and GE too?

shouldn't it affect EM and GE too?

Those captions are evaluating the total sound produced. The question was, I think, about the brass judge specifically.

The two you mention should include the synths, either for good or not-so-good.

Those captions are evaluating the total sound produced. The question was, I think, about the brass judge specifically.

The two you mention should include the synths, either for good or not-so-good.

I know you've gone on record as being pro-woodwind but I'm curious as to how you feel on this issue?

There were several moments in several shows in Stillwater where the amped bass kicked in and it was just WAY too much. It was distracting. Add in the fact that it seemed to just be flipped on for a couple of hits, and it was downright jarring.

If I can tell you've got something amped on the field, you're doing it wrong. It's the kind of thing that should only be noticable in it's absence.