Incomplete Shows

wow...didnt know I typed that much...i'll say my post is equally mind-numbing :tongue:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read through this entire thread and it's mindnumbing!

There are so many good points on both sides of the argument.

I'll say upfront that I'm part of the "should be finished" camp (so those of you on the other side of the isle can read the rest of this with animosity).

Nope. Not even going to read the rest of it, you #$S@$(#@@)!!!!

I think that Perc2001 (I dont know if that is the exact name) made a very logical post on why shows are not complete by the beginning of the season and I think it should saved to be referred to later when this ugly question pops up again.

Oh...wait a minute. I agree with you, I agree with you!! :tongue:

wow...didnt know I typed that much...i'll say my post is equally mind-numbing :tongue:

At the risk of adding more mind numbing, I agree with you that I would much rather see a full show, but I'm understanding of the reality and it doesn't both me much. I'm still curious, though, to hear details from those who think that a corps this season benefitted competitively by not having the full show on the field. When I marched 10+ years ago, it was pretty well understood that NOT marching the full show was a competitive disadvantage. I agree that the practice exists (and will continue) because staff can do things this way with out any penalties. With directors making/approving the rules, I guess it's a safe assumption that corps don't see it as a competitive advantage either way, or else they'd make a rule change.

I obviously can't speak for all drum corps fans out there, but I for one know that there's a #### good chance if I see a show in June that I'm not going to see every corps perform their completed show.

I still go because I like drum corps and I like seeing how the corps progress throughout the season.

So far this season, I have attended the competitions in Fort Mill, SC (June 20), Charleston, WV (June 21), Clovis, CA (June 25), Stanford, CA (June 26), and Lynn, MA (July 3). I have seen some of the corps some people have complained about. Personally, I think that I understand some of the reasons why some corps do not have "complete" shows on the field during the first week or two of the season. Some of it is simply "playing the game".

Who remembers Phantom Regiment, 2008? The show was presented at a certain performance level in June, and changes were made as the season progressed. "Sparticus" evolved and took shape week to week, with new elements being added along the way to Championships. I remember seeing a very different show in August compared to what I saw in July! Was I disappointed with their July offering? No. Was I delighted with what I saw and heard in August? Absolutely! It was not the same old stale stuff that I had seen and heard earlier in the season! I was witness to a show that grew, evolved, transformed, and became a labor of love, not just for the performers, but for the fans as well! That was one of the things that made the Sparticus of 2008 so magnificent! The Phantom Regiment of 2008 was pure genius and I loved it so much that I, along with many other fans, screamed "I am Sparticus" during DCI week in Bloomington! I screamed, because I was in love with the show, even though I had seen the show more than a dozen times that season!

Someone mentioned the 1976 Madison Scouts, who came out doing one show in June, scrapped the entire show in mid-season, learned a whole new show, cleaned it on the fly, and nearly won DCI Championships with it! That was truly incredible! The 1976 Madison Scouts should go down as one of the most memorable drum and bugle corps of all time for pulling off that "impossible feat"! I wonder, will we ever see a corps do that again?

I am not disappointed with the offerings of the corps whose shows seem to be "incomplete" at this point in the season. Rather, I am looking forward to witnessing the progress the corps make during the month of July and into August! Since I will see many corps 10 or more times this season, change is good! To see and hear changes and additions in the shows is a very good thing when one witnesses a corps offering more than 5 times in a month! Seeing corps evolve as the season progresses is a plus in my book. True, I long for the "squeaky clean" execution of DCI Week, but I can take pleasure in the progress I withness during the road to Indy. I love the wonderful ride I get along the way as the corps sweep me up in the evolution of their productions!

By the way, I can hardly wait to hear the corps in Lucas Oil Stadium with the roof open during 1/4 Finals on Thursday, August 12! I have hotel/Ticket Packages available for DCI Week! There is a Free Round-Trip Hotel/Stadium Shuttle reserved for Inside the Forty customers! Contact me via e-mail for details!

Yours in drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I'd have to take issue with this, I think some of these classical composers have a few works around that are classified as unfinished and people pay good money to go here them.

Do Laker fans get a discount when Kobe sits out a game?

I imagine the next new thread will be someone wanting their money back when a soloist cracks a note or two.

GREAT idea! Forgot limiting it to just solo cracks, though. If ANY corps does not score a perfect 100, we should all demand money back since the designers failed in their job to deliver us perfect products. To help implement that, corps can start fining members for 'ticks' on the field: this could also help motivate the members to not fail in their job of performing perfectly all of the time.

I think you're on to something

:tongue:

Hey I resent that :smile: I #### near had a nervous breakdown in '97 for cracking solos on first tour. I didn't crack much on 2nd tour and on finals night I didn't crack the solo I had been, so I felt relieved, until I cracked the 3rd solo..... Re-inactment------ The solo was top of staff- F halfnote, C halfnote, G halfnote, A- tied whole note. I did this--- Dah BEeeahhhhh Dah Dahhhhhhhhhh. Wah Wah!! Don't start giving refunds for cracked notes or I woulda cost DCI money :worthy::smile::thumbup:

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I'm sorry, let me clarify. I don't really care that much about seeing a shorter show. What I care about is competition being fair, or at least as fair as possible. If you fail to see how it is currently unfair for a corps doing 7-8 minutes of show to be judged on the same criteria, with no penalty, against a corps doing a 10 1/2 minute show, then this debate is really quite pointless.

I don't think it's fair that the Blue Devils audition a greater amount of talent before a more experienced, seasoned staff than Pioneer. If you want to make things fair as possible, show length is way, way, way down there on the list of things that could be dealt with. Perhaps a DCI draft for members and staff? Just think..."This year, J.D. Shaw is arranging for the Mandarins!"

I'm gonna go with "I don't really know" and "there is no good solution."

I would love to be entertained longer but I would also like a decent show even if it means leaving off some of the end for the moment to make the beginning cleaner.

I would love to see all corps in late July or August.

I would love for more shows near where I live since I cannot fly to shows nor have any interest in watching in a dome, especially after all I've heard about seating issues.

I would love all this but I won't get it. I'll go to whatever is relatively close even if it's pretty early and understand that I may be disappointed by the quality at this point but at least I get to see ____ live in 2010. I don't think penalizing the corps who aren't "there" quick enough is the solution but I don't think it's completely fair to judge 2 corps who have a noticeably different run time the same way.

Like I said there's no simple solution but I'll just deal.

I'm gonna go with "I don't really know" and "there is no good solution."

I would love to be entertained longer but I would also like a decent show even if it means leaving off some of the end for the moment to make the beginning cleaner.

I would love to see all corps in late July or August.

I would love for more shows near where I live since I cannot fly to shows nor have any interest in watching in a dome, especially after all I've heard about seating issues.

I would love all this but I won't get it. I'll go to whatever is relatively close even if it's pretty early and understand that I may be disappointed by the quality at this point but at least I get to see ____ live in 2010. I don't think penalizing the corps who aren't "there" quick enough is the solution but I don't think it's completely fair to judge 2 corps who have a noticeably different run time the same way.

Like I said there's no simple solution but I'll just deal.

sounds like you're Canadian :tongue: