Incomplete Shows

Wow, this thread it still going, huh

Again, since so many seem to be arguing theories and hypotheticals, can some please point out a specific instance this season where they think that a corps who competed in a show without their closer got an unfair advantage and beat a clearly superior performance by another corps that had their closer on the field, and thus had more errors?

I suspect not, and I would guess that (for the billionth time) people are getting all huffy about stuff that is just not a reality.

That would be disappointing, wouldn't it? If all this angst was simply about hypotheticals.

Speaking of pointless penalties (huh?), if it were up to me, I would penalize corps for bad visual transitions, ugly flags, and parking the drumline on the back sideline during the ballad. :tongue:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Judges are playing along with the BS. I think Timing should be whole season. I know shows evolve but put 9 1/2 minutes on the field for the paying customer ! Geez

The corps makes the rules and decide when they're to be enforced. Well the "top" corps decide that. :tongue:

Speaking of pointless penalties (huh?), if it were up to me, I would penalize corps for bad visual transitions, ugly flags, and parking the drumline on the back sideline during the ballad. :tongue:

It's comments like this that have kept the thread alive.

No need for penalties, financial or otherwise, as there is no edict in the rules that states a show must have x amount of time marching drill. Nor should there be. If the totality of the audio/visual presentation lacks in quality in comparison to other corps who may be presenting more, then that should be reflected in the score, but don't automatically expect it to be a massive point differential. Like SCV losing to Troopers or something because they stood still for 30 seconds at the end of their show due to incomplete drill.

Exactly what I was thinking. As I posted after you:

Well, I guess my question is -- and I believe this has been asked before -- how do the judges know if a show is incomplete? Do they have a program list, with timings as to when each piece starts? If not, then they're simply judging the product they see and hear on the field. I don't see how anyone is gypped in that system. If everyone is putting out on the field what they are capable of putting out by that time, then everyone is being judged fairly. If a program is not complete, and there is a clear sense that something is missing, then it's not coming together aesthetically the way it should, and so the show will be judged accordingly, and the score will be downgraded . . . not as a penalty, but as reflected in the actual score (I'm guessing in the GE scores).

My personal preference is that corps perform what they are able to do well, and as a complete package . . . meaning music with drill. Anything less -- and that includes standstills -- is, well, less. Both are incomplete shows. It seems to me that corps are going to be penalized via their GE scores no matter which way they go, so what's the point? I just don't see it.

I HIGHLY doubt they wait until late May to start drill when they have the weather to start in January, especially in SoCal. Even the Srs start FAR earlier than May.

They sometimes have to wait until winter guard season ends to incorporate the guard, but not starting drill until late MAY??? That wastes 5 MONTHS of rehearsal time. Where are you getting THAT from?

I know for a fact that SCV didn't begin putting drill onto to the field until their May camp, which was the first weekend in May, so there you go. They spent the first chunk of the season making sure the music got the most attention it could, so the kids knew what they were playing by the time they got to the field. Isn't it better to have everyone know their music before they start learning drill than to have drill on the field but have the music sound bad because they spent all of their time learning drill?

And in the Bay Area, the weather in January is not even close to good enough to start learning drill in. Not sure if you've tried learning drill when it's in the 40s outside, but it would not be fun.

I hate bad analogies so much. DCP as a whole needs to work on its analogy skills

:tongue::worthy::smile: :smile:

please. not even just because of this thread but because i haven't seen as many horrible analogies in my life until i started reading DCP.

it's so horrible it's like *insert irrelevant, confusing or just plain stupid analogy to something totally different here*

I know for a fact that SCV didn't begin putting drill onto to the field until their May camp, which was the first weekend in May, so there you go. They spent the first chunk of the season making sure the music got the most attention it could, so the kids knew what they were playing by the time they got to the field. Isn't it better to have everyone know their music before they start learning drill than to have drill on the field but have the music sound bad because they spent all of their time learning drill?

And in the Bay Area, the weather in January is not even close to good enough to start learning drill in. Not sure if you've tried learning drill when it's in the 40s outside, but it would not be fun.

We started drill in January in 84 in BD...weather hasn't changed THAT much since then.

Gonna' call BS on that one ... Especially in the Concord and San Jose areas. No probs going outside unless it's raining. It's usually in the 50s-60s in San Francisco at that time of year.