Top 12...Is It Already Set?

Again, I just used Troopers and BK as an example. I'm not taking anything away from Troopers from any previous years. Just stating the facts about how people aren't giving enough credit where it's deserved. If you want to be really blunt and obvious about it, guess you could compare Mandarins to Blue Knights, I mean come on... :tongue:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Mike. Troopers were in 30 shows last year. If they deserved 17th, as MisterA alleges, I think the judges would have figured it out WAY before finals week!

Garry in Vegas

Thats what is wrong with judging and scores. Every show should be independent of each other. Why does each show need to "set up" the finals. Each shows scores should reflect how the corps did THAT night, but they don't. The judges just KNOW the corps HAD to get better EVERY day right? So there is the case of slotting. Just give the score needed to maintain the spot..... I don't have an opinion on who should be top 12 this year, but I do agree that the gap as it stands may be too hard to surpass.

Thats what is wrong with judging and scores. Every show should be independent of each other. Why does each show need to "set up" the finals. Each shows scores should reflect how the corps did THAT night, but they don't. The judges just KNOW the corps HAD to get better EVERY day right? So there is the case of slotting. Just give the score needed to maintain the spot..... I don't have an opinion on who should be top 12 this year, but I do agree that the gap as it stands may be too hard to surpass.

Two years ago, both Madison and Crossmen (12th and 13th respectively) were as far out of Finals contention as everyone currently out of contention after the Denver weekend. Both corps jumped five points in a week.

It's not over, not by a long shot.

Two years ago, both Madison and Crossmen (12th and 13th respectively) were as far out of Finals contention as everyone currently out of contention after the Denver weekend. Both corps jumped five points in a week.

It's not over, not by a long shot.

I hope your last statement is correct. It would be a real boring season if everyone just maintains their position and point spread.

I hope your last statement is correct. It would be a real boring season if everyone just maintains their position and point spread.

Agreed! And I would make the same statement about maintaining positioning from 1-10.... Hope there's lots of shuffling all the way around!

Wes P

Even if someone does dig this thread up after finals for the ole "see...I called it" or whatever MisterA MisterA will still be a horses rear-end!

I really don't see a need for name calling. Just because my opinion differs from yours, and I have some valid points. Are you that worried that someone will figure out there was/is a problem with the judging. Almost anyone who has been involved in drum corps over the last few decades knows there are definitely politics involved. In fact, if you did a judge to judge comparison in scores over the course of the season, and then looked at the panel for finals night, you could probably predict the score for finals within a few tenths of a point for almost every corps.

As far as anyone who thinks I have anything against the Troopers, let me clearly state I do not. I was hoping Troopers could come back to as good as they were in the 70's. They were a fantastic corps, but they have struggled over the last 15 years. Last year they put out a great program. And they were definitely the most improved from the previous year. I am very excited for them. I just wished I felt their 12th place was valid. Unfortunately I do not. But for anyone who thinks I favor the Colts in some way, I also think there have been 2 years they have made finals which I don't think they should have. !998, and 2001. I thought they got a break in 98 as they had a bus crash the week of finals. I thought Magic of Orlando was clearly better, and Colts should have been 13th. 2001 was a very odd year, as Colts were 10th in quarterfinals due to huge penalties from Scouts and Crown for timing violations. And while they were in 12th in sem-finals. I really thought their performance on that Friday night was lackluster at best.

To be honest, I don't care who wins DCI or comes in top 12, or finishes top 17. It doesn't matter. However, I would like to see the best corps win, and the top 12 corps making finals. Unfortunately politics and storylines sometimes prevent this from actually happening. And if you don't think politics are involved, sometime volunteer for a corps, and listen to what the directors and staff have to say after critiques and recaps are available. Or if you have the time, actually graph out every single judge for every single caption over the season, and see if you don't see some irregularities. Whether it is for or against your favorite corps, it happens. And if you really read through my posts, I enjoy every single corps, from Blue Devils and Cavaliers, to Pioneer and Cascades. I support every single corps with donations, souvie sales, and sometimes volunteer when available still.

I really don't see a need for name calling. Just because my opinion differs from yours, and I have some valid points. Are you that worried that someone will figure out there was/is a problem with the judging. Almost anyone who has been involved in drum corps over the last few decades knows there are definitely politics involved. In fact, if you did a judge to judge comparison in scores over the course of the season, and then looked at the panel for finals night, you could probably predict the score for finals within a few tenths of a point for almost every corps.

As far as anyone who thinks I have anything against the Troopers, let me clearly state I do not. I was hoping Troopers could come back to as good as they were in the 70's. They were a fantastic corps, but they have struggled over the last 15 years. Last year they put out a great program. And they were definitely the most improved from the previous year. I am very excited for them. I just wished I felt their 12th place was valid. Unfortunately I do not. But for anyone who thinks I favor the Colts in some way, I also think there have been 2 years they have made finals which I don't think they should have. !998, and 2001. I thought they got a break in 98 as they had a bus crash the week of finals. I thought Magic of Orlando was clearly better, and Colts should have been 13th. 2001 was a very odd year, as Colts were 10th in quarterfinals due to huge penalties from Scouts and Crown for timing violations. And while they were in 12th in sem-finals. I really thought their performance on that Friday night was lackluster at best.

To be honest, I don't care who wins DCI or comes in top 12, or finishes top 17. It doesn't matter. However, I would like to see the best corps win, and the top 12 corps making finals. Unfortunately politics and storylines sometimes prevent this from actually happening. And if you don't think politics are involved, sometime volunteer for a corps, and listen to what the directors and staff have to say after critiques and recaps are available. Or if you have the time, actually graph out every single judge for every single caption over the season, and see if you don't see some irregularities. Whether it is for or against your favorite corps, it happens. And if you really read through my posts, I enjoy every single corps, from Blue Devils and Cavaliers, to Pioneer and Cascades. I support every single corps with donations, souvie sales, and sometimes volunteer when available still.

:thumbup: Ok, and again I say :tongue: Dude you believe in what you believe in, that's up to you. While I do agree that politics play a bit of a part in drum corps, the judges get the finals placement right in the end. I was marching in '98 and flat out-- The Colts were better than Magic, sorry. I saw the 2001 season and paid close attention (as BK was around that same placement area) and the Colts were finalist caliber that year as well! I know you're trying to provide fuel to your point, and pointing out that you thought a corps may have not been worthy of a finalist is one thing. But you said the Troopers were the 17th place corps last year? Again :shutup: I just don't think it's going to give you a ton of credibility to starting naming off corps in years that you thought were not finalists to support your point. Conspiracy in DCI? Nah... I can tell you the Colts in '98 and '01 deserved to finalists and in 2009 weren't quite there, and that's ok, they were still GREAT REGARDLESS!!!

Wes P

Yes 2nd year now and is doing fantastic... When I heard he was joining staff before last year I was elated beyond words.I had a 3 year guard member that aged out with Glassmen under his leadership and I saw the Glassmen Guard as one of the best under him. My student also said as much and that they loved him, and she was the first one to say that she'd always cheer for Gmen, but she now has to cheer for BK too!! :thumbup:

Wes P

BK '97 '98

Im not a guard person at all but he was one of the reasons why I liked Glassmen. And you can tell he is not afraid to cut people. Last year at finals he had guard sitting during parts of the show. Always has great guards.