Top 12...Is It Already Set?

I am simply stating what was more than obvious. I do respect all the kids marching, but I also state things exactly the way I see them. I wanted to see Troopers back in finals like everyone else. I thought it would have been a good thing. However, I think it needs to be earned, not happening just because everyone wants it to be that way. And unfortunately, Colts, Academy and Madison Scouts should have been several points ahead of Troopers. Spirit, Troopers, and Crossmen should have been very close in scores, with Spirit just edging out Troopers. Spirit had a little weaker show, but performed at a better level than Troopers. Spirit should have taken them in Music GE, Brass, Visual GE, Percussion, and Colorguard.

Unfortunately corps politics and storylines are the new way of judging. The last few years have been the worst. Troopers were the feel good story of 2009. Unfortunately at the expense of 4 corps that were much better than them.

Mean Begin

To whom, you perhaps. You'd get very little agreement on Troopers belonging in 17th in 2009 here among the DCP crowd, sorry.

Enough of the platitudes... politics..., more than obvious..., I mean really :tongue:

DCI judges have a very difficult job and quite frankly I think that they do an admirable job.

I don't always agree but I still respect what they do and how they do it without throwing around the "Politics" argument.

Mean End/

Please, can we now move back on to the topic of 2010 Top 12 thoughts.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't wrap my mind around BK being a fan favorite this year. Wrap your mind around this..... Funny as it sounds those that have been following the corps from the West tour tend to put BK in 10th or higher, but those that have been following the East seem to have the Glassmen and Scouts higher and in some cases BK out of finals. Not going to say it's not possible, but I think the peeps in the East and Midwest are going to be amazed when BK come to town! They've been getting the largest standing O's at any show this year on the West Coast Tour regardless of who else is there and even got a roaring standing O when they entered the stadium a few days ago. Definitely a different buzz to BK this year. Excited to see all the corps here in San Antonio. Never found Glassmen boring during he Gold years or now. I have to utmost respect for them and their style and appreciate them. Glassmen '98 one of my favorite drum corps shows of any year. Go America= Happy 4th of July!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I think I found my clone! That's exactly how I feel. BK's bringing it this year and some east coast corps aren't going to stop that. :tongue:

I do think, baring any major mistakes, that BK, Glassmen and Scouts will be rounding out the remaining finals spots this year. It will be interesting to look back on this thread come finals and see if thats correct. I just don't see Glassmen falling out and I believe Madison is this years destiny child so I don't see them missing the mark either.

Last year, Colts were without a doubt the 12th place corps. Not even a question. Troopers were basically on the level of Spirit and Crossmen, with Madison and Academy much better than Troopers. But the whole storyline got them the 12th place gift.

Troopers beat the Colts at various times all season long. Are you saying that judges at lots of shows were dishonest in how they placed those corps?

Alot of people will tell you the top 12 were set before the first show in June. Others will argue that you can't compare scores across the board. Others will say that these scores so far mean nothing, as there isn't even a full judging panel. You will hear much about the head to head competition.

My guess is that 11 of the 12 are set as you have them. I think the only corps that could have a worry would be Glassmen. And the corps they would have to worry about.. the Colts. Colts were robbed last year by what should have been a 17th place Troopers. At this point I would not put Colts above Glassmen, however, I think their show might have a little more potential by August to improve than Glassmen. And to be honest, I have the feeling if they were even within a point of Glassmen at the end of the season, they would probably end up with that last finals spot.

I'm pretty sure this is just a case of someone who is just PO'D their corps didn't make finals. They can't all make it buddy.

I dont think anything is etched in stone.... I think Academy can surge and make it, but dont they go home for 2 weeks? I would think that would be a disadvantage to them. I think crossmen have a finalist level show that can only get better, and maybe score higher when they fill the holes. Blue Knights are not in danger of missing out, and they even have a chance to surge and get into the Blue Stars/Boston/Phantom crowd. I am looking forward to Texas to actually get a grip on things. As for the Troopers/Colts argument? I dont see either making finals this year.

All shows starting after July 4th - meaning starting now - are supposed to use full panels of judges. That right there could mix things up a bit.

Lets wait until we see some head to head matchups before we proclaim anyone in or out.

And don't forget, we can always have 13 (or more) corps in the top 12. All we need is a tie for 12th at semis.

All shows starting after July 4th - meaning starting now - are supposed to use full panels of judges. That right there could mix things up a bit.

Lets wait until we see some head to head matchups before we proclaim anyone in or out.

And don't forget, we can always have 13 (or more) corps in the top 12. All we need is a tie for 12th at semis.

Really?

IIRC, the Crossmen thought that the top 12 was set in stone a couple of years back and turned in rather lackluster and flat performances at QF and Semis and pretty much gave the Scouts a 12th on a golden platter with a beautiful bow tied around it. All they needed to do was throw in a brand new AMG Mercedes Black Edition to complete the gift they so happily gave away....

I wouldn't be assuming a thing if I were on the bubble unless you want the season to end early and watch finals from the stands. A horribly foolish assumption to ever make in this activity unless one is comfortable with losing to more motivated opposition.

do you have a source to cite regarding the Crossmen thinking they had 12th locked up and didn't work hard during the last week of the season? or are you just spouting junk?