GLASSMEN

MADISON

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

Yes really.

We really will be having full panels of judges, we really need to wait until we have head to head matchups - and we really could have a tie for 12th which would mean 13 Finalists. :tongue:

Actually happened in 1977 - Garfield Cadets and Kilties tied for 12th in Prelims. 13 corps marched in Finals that year. People often forget that fact because of the DQ of Bridgemen.

Yes really.

We really will be having full panels of judges, we really need to wait until we have head to head matchups - and we really could have a tie for 12th which would mean 13 Finalists. :tongue:

Actually happened in 1977 - Garfield Cadets and Kilties tied for 12th in Prelims. 13 corps marched in Finals that year. People often forget that fact because of the DQ of Bridgemen.

That would be cool. I knew the judges panels were coming in effect but I didn't know if there's a tie that there could be 13. That'd be cool!

do you have a source to cite regarding the Crossmen thinking they had 12th locked up and didn't work hard during the last week of the season? or are you just spouting junk?

You watch their performance!? It sure looked and sounded like it when I saw and heard it! Madison came off as hungry and performed like they wanted to be in finals, unlike the Crossmen.

Maybe they worked hard, but it was painfully obvious to me and obviously to the panels that Madison wanted it more, and the Crossmen fell out, and Madison went in, quite deservedly so!

I watched the rankings that summer, and the Crossmen were consistently 10th to 12th, usually solidly in 10th all season. How do you fall out when you're in that spot at the last second over Finals Weekend, huh?? You tell me! It usually happens when someone loses momentum, and at that point in the season, usually to mental issues. If the fall-out would have happened 2 weeks before finals, which it did not-- I wouldn't be as hard on them.

So who's spouting junk, or are you just upset someone with years of experience in the activity calls a spade a spade in this case?

Troopers beat the Colts at various times all season long. Are you saying that judges at lots of shows were dishonest in how they placed those corps?

Agreed, Mike. Troopers were in 30 shows last year. If they deserved 17th, as MisterA alleges, I think the judges would have figured it out WAY before finals week!

Garry in Vegas

Alot of people will tell you the top 12 were set before the first show in June. Others will argue that you can't compare scores across the board. Others will say that these scores so far mean nothing, as there isn't even a full judging panel. You will hear much about the head to head competition.

My guess is that 11 of the 12 are set as you have them. I think the only corps that could have a worry would be Glassmen. And the corps they would have to worry about.. the Colts. Colts were robbed last year by what should have been a 17th place Troopers. At this point I would not put Colts above Glassmen, however, I think their show might have a little more potential by August to improve than Glassmen. And to be honest, I have the feeling if they were even within a point of Glassmen at the end of the season, they would probably end up with that last finals spot.

A 17th place Troopers? I guess they were robbed in each of the 10 - 12 shows that Troopers beat them throughout July and August that year. Sounds like someone has a "conspiracy-theory" mentality and their corps could never have lost to any terrible corps like Troopers (or BK, Glassmen, SCV, Crown, etc...). Grow up and realize that sometimes one corps beats another by just being better. (For example 2008 Phantom). :tongue:

July 10th will tell much. First big regional shows, full judging panels.

DENVER:

Colts

Glassmen

Troopers

KALAMAZOO:

Spirit

Crossmen

Madison

Great point! Should be some great shows for that tier of corps! BK will also be at the Denver show, although I see them scoring higher than those mentioned.

I know things can sure change, but do ya'll see any of the current Top 12 as listed below falling back and any of the corps in the 13th-17th range having something up their sleeve to break into the Top 12? There is a gap in scores between #12 and #13 right now and based on reviews, I'm don't see any of these current finalists falling out of a Saturday night performance.

Current Top 12 (no particular order)

Crown

Blue Devils

SCV

Boston

Blue Stars

Bluecoats

Cavaliers

Cadets

Phantom Regiment

Glassmen

Blue Knights

Madison

D### close and I'd add that at least 8 of those top 12 don't have a chance of getting a ring, but keep busting your butts kids because "we don't care about scores/placements"!

Edited by Ghost

Here's an example: We're halfway through the MLB season @ the All-Star break. The top 2 teams as of right now are the NY Yankees, and Boston Red Sox. Everyone knows that the ML season lasts a long time, and all kinds of factors go into the outcome of the season. Who knows, either team could have a huge injury, or just some bad luck, and the standings could change instantly. The same goes for DCI. I agree that usually a corps doesn't just fall off the charts instantly, but over the years some corps have been known to get on hot streaks, and it wouldn't surprise me if one did this year. I just don't like to automatically say that these corps are going to be placed here...I feel like I'm taking something away from the other potential top 12 corps.

Every pitch in baseball does not end up at the plate in the same location as the previous pitch. Game situations can change with each pitch. You can say the same for other sports and what takes place. During a corps performance, a extremely high percentage of what each member does at any moment is exactly what they did the last time they were at that moment. Oh, the hand movement, knee bend, kick, bow, equiment angle, tone, percussion strike etc. might be a fraction off, but the repetitiveness of a routine is the same. Then you have the judge factor that sport officials don't have. Again, one judge one night may be a couple of tenths different than the previous nights judge for the same caption and yes, a strike with one umpire might be a ball with the next guy. But overall, what the results show in the FIRST week of a corps season is a very close evaluation where they will end up at Indy. The odds from decades of DCI seasons do not bode well for corps opening with a mid to high 60's making the top 12, never mind a chance at the coveted top 5/6!