OFFICIAL Atlanta Regional Thread...

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan ahead, but when that time comes I'll make another topic. :laughing:
Search for and bump this topic. It's the polite thing to do.

spacebo

I am going (and live in Atlanta). RIDE MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority). Parking at most Marta stations is free (for up to 24hrs). The Georgia Dome is steps away from 2 stations (the easiest is the Westline's GWCC/Phillips Arena/Georgia Dome Station...the other is the Vine City Station). A round trip ticket is $4.50 (I think). More info is at www.itsmarta.com. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions that you would like answered by a local. :laughing:

I also live in the Metro Atlanta area and my advice, DO NOT RIDE MARTA. Marta stations are known for robberies, shootings, and so much more. Just look up MARTA girl on a video site, yeah..everyday occurrence. Plus the station near the Dome is shady at best. My advice, as is what I do, even though MARTA would be a whole lot easier and cheaper, park in the lots near the fountain, they aren't as cheap but they are guarded and close by. Last year, I think I paid $15 or $20 split between 4 of us. The CNN center is right next door, so food isn't too far away. :thumbup:

I also live in the Metro Atlanta area and my advice, DO NOT RIDE MARTA. Marta stations are known for robberies, shootings, and so much more. Just look up MARTA girl on a video site, yeah..everyday occurrence. Plus the station near the Dome is shady at best. My advice, as is what I do, even though MARTA would be a whole lot easier and cheaper, park in the lots near the fountain, they aren't as cheap but they are guarded and close by. Last year, I think I paid $15 or $20 split between 4 of us. The CNN center is right next door, so food isn't too far away. :laughing:

I think you are very misguided on the safety of MARTA. I agree that parking is easy, close and fairly affordable, but I don't think scaring people away from MARTA is the right way to go. And the MARTA girl video you are referring to is not an everyday occurance...hence the attention that incident received.

I'm working on a guide to the ATL show with lots of info and hope to have it posted later this week/early next week.

I think you are very misguided on the safety of MARTA. I agree that parking is easy, close and fairly affordable, but I don't think scaring people away from MARTA is the right way to go. And the MARTA girl video you are referring to is not an everyday occurance...hence the attention that incident received.

I'm working on a guide to the ATL show with lots of info and hope to have it posted later this week/early next week.

Not misguided at all. I used to ride Marta all the time, its severely gone down hill. People being mugged, cars broken into, that is a daily occurrence at most of the Marta stops. I'm not trying to scare people away, most people who live in the area already know these things. Take precautions when riding, as with anywhere crowded. And the video, yeah..that's the kind of stuff that happens all the time, it just happened to get a lot of attention.

Not misguided at all. I used to ride Marta all the time, its severely gone down hill. People being mugged, cars broken into, that is a daily occurrence at most of the Marta stops. I'm not trying to scare people away, most people who live in the area already know these things. Take precautions when riding, as with anywhere crowded. And the video, yeah..that's the kind of stuff that happens all the time, it just happened to get a lot of attention.

I live in Atlanta and ride Marta ALL THE TIME and have for years. I have NEVER EVER had or seen issues like those you speak of. Always see lots of MARTA police around too. Granted I have never gone very far east or west but heading north or northeast is great alternative to sitting in traffic and downtown parking.

Edited by PeteInGA

Yeah, thats why I said most. Holmes station for example is pretty bad and its on the Cobb Side. N and NE going toward Buckhead and whatnot, never had a problem. The further you go South and West on Marta is when it gets bad. I'm also talking about at night, not during the day.

so yeah dont really care about MARTA.. What I do care about is a list of rehearsal sites for all of the corps.. Im going to be in town Saturday morning and I want to see at least three corps before the show. I remember in years past this is generally a hub for information..

Edited by Glenn426

I am also looking forward to Atlanta. It will be my 1st live show this year. Lived in metro ATL for 25 yrs & have never been afraid to ride MARTA.

I usually park at the Holmes station (last one on the west side) and ride it into town. There is also ample parking around the GA DOME, CNN Center,

Philips Arena area. This year I'm staying at the Omni CNN Center to have a nice weekend with the wife. Say hello if you see me in the bar.

I will be the guy in the Blue Devil shirt with a vodka martini. :laughing: