BD organization in jeopardy

Yes... everyone argues against choice. When a new restaurant comes to your town, do you protest because it might take business from your favorite place?

the development is excellent because it is infinitely better than a blighted structure, which drives down surrounding property values (and thus property taxes) and does not bring consumers to the area.

It should be obvious that a 2nd bingo hall would be good for the area. All you need to know is basic economics. And if there isn't enough support for both, then one will shut down, and the city will be no worse off than it currently is! Lots of businesses shut down every year. Just because this one happens to belong to a drum corps, does not make it super special and extra beneficial and deserving of 'monopoly' status.

edit: I also know that BD sells huge amounts of souvies. They bring in more money than almost every other corps. But for some reason, they still needed to float a proposal to take money from others.

They should be ashamed of themsevles.

Very hard to argue with any of this.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A GROUP HUG emoty! I want one (although I'll probably never use it :smile: )

BTW, got the subtle hint, Michael.

I'm sure the "offsetting gesture" is penned and sent already.

Oh, was I too obvious? :tongue:

Yes... everyone argues against choice. When a new restaurant comes to your town, do you protest because it might take business from your favorite place?

the development is excellent because it is infinitely better than a blighted structure, which drives down surrounding property values (and thus property taxes) and does not bring consumers to the area.

It should be obvious that a 2nd bingo hall would be good for the area. All you need to know is basic economics. And if there isn't enough support for both, then one will shut down, and the city will be no worse off than it currently is! Lots of businesses shut down every year. Just because this one happens to belong to a drum corps, does not make it super special and extra beneficial and deserving of 'monopoly' status.

edit: I also know that BD sells huge amounts of souvies. They bring in more money than almost every other corps. But for some reason, they still needed to float a proposal to take money from others.

They should be ashamed of themsevles.

BS, this is not about choice... This is about your specific hate speech. I know far more about economics and business than you. Often, a second business in the same area results in BOTH businesses failing. Of course, you likely don't know a lot about demographics, or customer base, or customer pools, or critical mass. In many cases, the second or competing business cause both businesses to fail. The results are not very predictable or obvious. But, it is quite predictable the existing business will be hurt.

You don't know anything about the blighted structure that you mention, but you are willing to just make an assumption. You don't know about property values in this area, or how a bingo hall will affect then, but again you make assumptions. But, your hatred of the Blue Devils is both clear and obvious. Just don't try to pass that crap as anything other than what it is.

Well, since you posted your letter in its entirety and claim to have received an auto-response, I fully expect that a handful of people on this board will send a copy of your e-mail to the council and others listed instructing them what you proudly did and then advertised having done, which will hopefully negate the intent of your e-mail. (Hint, hint.) :smile::whistle::innocent:

People who are too proud of what they do often get hoisted on their own petard by going too far. It seems to me that posting the contents of your e-mail publicly on a site of dedicated members who love drum corps and wouldn't want any harm to come to ANY corps would do what they can to neutralize your action. Just something to think about.

Thoughts on anything else that may or may not happen doesn't affect the fact that one of our top corps might end up having a more difficult time bringing us joy each summer. :tongue:

While I strongly disagree with soccerguy's supposed action, he raises several very important points, particularly regarding the local economy -- which is the only thing the council will care about. T-shirts, pity parties, BDC, etc. will make absolutely no difference if BD cannot demonstrate that the proposal will actually cause harm to the local community. Again, this could be a blessing in disguise, as it could *hopefully* cause to think long and hard about its mission in Concord (though they do do quite a bit, from what I understand).

If this passes (and it seems likely that it will), again I hope BD has a contingency plan that will allow all three corps to continue to compete. If parts of the organization need to be eliminated in order to save money there's plenty of things BD can get rid of before sacrificing any corps.

Edited by Rifuarian

Well, since you posted your letter in its entirety and claim to have received an auto-response, I fully expect that a handful of people on this board will send a copy of your e-mail to the council and others listed instructing them what you proudly did and then advertised having done, which will hopefully negate the intent of your e-mail. (Hint, hint.) :smile::whistle::innocent:

People who are too proud of what they do often get hoisted on their own petard by going too far. It seems to me that posting the contents of your e-mail publicly on a site of dedicated members who love drum corps and wouldn't want any harm to come to ANY corps would do what they can to neutralize your action. Just something to think about.

Thoughts on anything else that may or may not happen doesn't affect the fact that one of our top corps might end up having a more difficult time bringing us joy each summer. :tongue:

I'm sure it's nice to sit behind big brother DCI and do nothing, leaving us little people to try to fight the good fight and save drum corps.

I posted the email to people will know what I wrote. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a public topic that is open for public debate. Your scare tactics are not scary.

Here is the big point, which you obviously missed while reading my response. BD WILL BE FINE WITH NO BINGO... JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DRUM CORPS... added to that, is they are not even killing their bingo!!!!

BD is trying to fight the free market, a founding principle of our country! That is unacceptable!

Thanks for pointing this out. I did not know this. If true, this pretty much debunks one of my ideas about them not doing anything for the local community angle.

Which is why it's usually better to ask questions or do research before making assumptions.

How can you think this is not a predictable response? There's a 3000 year old adage that goes something like this:

For they sow the wind And they reap the whirlwind

In light of the G7 proposal, which most agree is a money grab by 7 corps, to the detriment of the rest, Gibbs' appeal seems like crocodile tears.

People's feelings are what they are. They're valid.

Thanks, Dad!

:smile:

For all practical observations, he's right. It's not a "race thing" only a truthful observation.

*edit* Not singling out BD, but for the activity as a whole, it's true.

Actually, he applied the race statement directly to BD, so this is about BD. But, it is pretty multicultural. Again, I call BS on the argument.

BS, this is not about choice... This is about your specific hate speech. I know far more about economics and business than you. Often, a second business in the same area results in BOTH businesses failing. Of course, you likely don't know a lot about demographics, or customer base, or customer pools, or critical mass. In many cases, the second or competing business cause both businesses to fail. The results are not very predictable or obvious. But, it is quite predictable the existing business will be hurt.

You don't know anything about the blighted structure that you mention, but you are willing to just make an assumption. You don't know about property values in this area, or how a bingo hall will affect then, but again you make assumptions. But, your hatred of the Blue Devils is both clear and obvious. Just don't try to pass that crap as anything other than what it is.

nothing I posted is hate speech. Please get over yourself.

Might they both fail? Sure. But guess what... IT IS NOT BD'S JOB OR RIGHT TO PREVENT COMPETING BUSINESSES FROM OPENING

What do you mean I don't know about the structure? I got the information directly from Gibbs! He said it hasn't been occupied for three years!!!

Please make the argument that a vacant building is better for an area than one with a business in it. Please. Because it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.