BD organization in jeopardy

What's involved here is not illegal... a gentleman from Virginia wants to open up a bingo hall as a commercial lessor... he probably has plenty of money and GREAT lawyers.... and even has some new bingo operator charities lined up who he's promised the moon to... of course one of the smartest thing said in over 100 posts is that the commercial lessor NEVER loses money... while it is VERY easy for a charity to lose money...

That being said - and I admit I am not an expert on California Bingo Law - but in almost every instance throughout the country and it appears to be the case here, it is up to the local government to decide if a new commercial hall is in the best interest of the community or there's plenty of coverage already and it's unnecessary and would cause harm to established local non profits while serving no necessary purpose other than sending California money to Virginia. The fact that BD bingo is functioning at half capacity would indicate there is no crying need for more games...

While I don't even know the name of the entrepreneur involved, I can tell you that I have met, worked with, befriended, disliked and whatever MANY commercial hall operators... not sure I can think of a single one I'd turn my back on in a dark room. (including the ones I called "friend")

So let's not worry about some Virginia Millionaire and have a little more compassion for the home town guys who incidentally have already suffered due to California's (Arnold's) propensity to give the Indians anything they ask for (or more correctly anything they're willing to pay for) which has already - along with no smoking laws - severely hurt the charitable games.

and yes, Bingo Manager's Magazine among others says that I AM a bingo expert and operated one of the 10 best halls in North America before I retired.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, rental rates are NOT regulated. I can charge what I want for my commercial property and the state just makes me pay my taxes. Remember, my example had 2 legal entities, myself and the new NP corporation. and less that 15% for a salary is quite within the bounds of reason. Service and expense charges need documentation, but in my example, they were not even listed. But, again 10% of the total rent is within reason. Finally, $4 per foot (about 2x the going rate) is more than justifiable by any business person. After all, I am sure that you have hear that location, location, and location are the 3 most important things in real estate. And what could be better than to open a business next to a competitor? I don't even have to advertise!

Finally, local governments routinely turn down licenses of legitimate business for all kinds of reasons. Livermore turned down a hair salon downtown as there were several there already. It also turned down a tatoo place without even giving a decent reason. Sounds like you are not to familiar with business law and local governments in Ca.

Are you certain about the legality here? Can you name a state where this is not legal? It happens to be a way that people with self-directed IRAs can run a personal business in CA, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Must be nice .. in my state those rates are regulated ... so people can't do what you're suggesting.

What's involved here is not illegal... a gentleman from Virginia wants to open up a bingo hall as a commercial lessor... he probably has plenty of money and GREAT lawyers.... and even has some new bingo operator charities lined up who he's promised the moon to... of course one of the smartest thing said in over 100 posts is that the commercial lessor NEVER loses money... while it is VERY easy for a charity to lose money...

That being said - and I admit I am not an expert on California Bingo Law - but in almost every instance throughout the country and it appears to be the case here, it is up to the local government to decide if a new commercial hall is in the best interest of the community or there's plenty of coverage already and it's unnecessary and would cause harm to established local non profits while serving no necessary purpose other than sending California money to Virginia. The fact that BD bingo is functioning at half capacity would indicate there is no crying need for more games...

While I don't even know the name of the entrepreneur involved, I can tell you that I have met, worked with, befriended, disliked and whatever MANY commercial hall operators... not sure I can think of a single one I'd turn my back on in a dark room. (including the ones I called "friend")

So let's not worry about some Virginia Millionaire and have a little more compassion for the home town guys who incidentally have already suffered due to California's (Arnold's) propensity to give the Indians anything they ask for (or more correctly anything they're willing to pay for) which has already - along with no smoking laws - severely hurt the charitable games.

and yes, Bingo Manager's Magazine among others says that I AM a bingo expert and operated one of the 10 best halls in North America before I retired.

Tom very well spoken.

Must be nice .. in my state those rates are regulated ... so people can't do what you're suggesting.

Even if they were, you can plug in any number you like. My point is that that the people running the show can make a lot of money and the lessor will make at least fair market. But, you might want to check again on non-profits. the ones that i alluded to are national, but i am not sure where they are headquartered.

Do you live on the east coast? I cannot imagine a state with more regulations than Ca with the possible exception of the northeast.

It amazes me, that Blue Devils can be a part of their own G7 for THEIR SAKE, but they want us to also do their Dirty work for THEIR SAKE too.

Hmnn....

Agreed 100% !!! The level of irony is hilarious! Any organization in drum corps that actively pursues the removal of services rendered to other corps in order to further support itself deserves to have it's major funding source cut up and thrown in its face! Perhaps its devine intervention!

I can't tell whether this is sarcasm or you actually agree because I don't understand your whole post.

If it is sarcasm:

sorry but I think it is ironic. That's it, I think it's ironic maybe slightly amusing but I'm not going to contact their city council and try to work against them because I like the corps just not its administration or things it may support.

If you actually agree:

okay.

I can't tell whether this is sarcasm or you actually agree because I don't understand your whole post.

If it is sarcasm:

sorry but I think it is ironic. That's it, I think it's ironic maybe slightly amusing but I'm not going to contact their city council and try to work against them because I like the corps just not its administration or things it may support.

If you actually agree:

okay.

I'm in agreement.

Even if they were, you can plug in any number you like. My point is that that the people running the show can make a lot of money and the lessor will make at least fair market. But, you might want to check again on non-profits. the ones that i alluded to are national, but i am not sure where they are headquartered.

Do you live on the east coast? I cannot imagine a state with more regulations than Ca with the possible exception of the northeast.

Some of our posts are very similar on this subject. I referred to my home State of Michigan above. The regulations for gaming and Bingo especially, are completely rediculous. Rental amounts have a cap ... worker amounts are bare minimum and completely regulated. With regards to administrative staff for the property owner/manager ... I can't speak to that. but you can only make so much profit if the rental fees are regulated to a certain dollar amount. Bingo, in my state, can only be conducted in Bingo halls that are licensed by the State and subject to all rules and regulations set forth by the Michigan Gaming Commission.

Single events can be help outside the halls ... for things such as a texas hold'em tourney or something like that. All raffles in the state have specific rules and guildelines in order to even qualify as a raffle .. and you have to buy a license for that as well. MI doesn't let anything slide and the red tape takes sometimes months just to read ... let alone find your way through.

My point exactly in my lengthy post. BD could just as easily rent out it's hall for the set amount within the law and make a profit on this as well. Just open another building next to yours and rent it out .... or buy the building the "for profit" company is looking to buy and do it yourself.

Part of the Dave Gibbs message, since most here probably didn't even read it (not accusing you)

* The Blue Devils have NEVER fought an opportunity for charities to run Bingo in Concord.

* In fact, we already support several charities in our facility, and will continue to work with any charity in Concord to help them start a bingo game if they so desire (we have plenty of additional capacity to support these non-profit groups).

Rather than doing as you suggest, BD already uses its excess capacity to support other non-profits...one more thing they do for the community.