BD organization in jeopardy

BD has helped so many people and is a very large organization. They provide a solid foundation for kids to grow in and yes, become champions. Some of the members of BD do this every summer because it keeps them off the street and out of trouble while teaching them respect, discipline and making them fine musicians in the process. It teaches all of them to live up to their fullest potential in whatever they do. This is not about Dave Gibbs. This is about the organization and what it means to a lot of people. Drum corps would not be the same without the Blue Devils. BD has always stepped up and helped other corps when they need it...now they need us to do the same.

I believe in what BD stands for and the example that they set.

This! Thoughtful and sympathetic, thanks.

Same could be said for any our our current DC.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the Blue Devils organization will have to scratch for every penny now like the rest of the activity.

For once, it looks as though the playing field really has been leveled....now let us see how they dominate the activity without taking in roughly five times per year what most other corps take in.

The Boston Crusaders have been around almost twice as long as the Blue Devils organization has existed. In all that time I find it hard to imagine that they haven't had the same opportunities that the Blue Devils have. If the Blue Devils manage to take in five times more than your corps on a yearly basis, it sounds like a more constructive use of your time might be to ask yourself why the Boston Crusaders aren't bringing in that kind of money, and what they can do to match the Blue Devils' financial success.

I'm sure it's nice to sit behind big brother DCI and do nothing, leaving us little people to try to fight the good fight and save drum corps.

I posted the email to people will know what I wrote. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a public topic that is open for public debate. Your scare tactics are not scary.

Here is the big point, which you obviously missed while reading my response. BD WILL BE FINE WITH NO BINGO... JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DRUM CORPS... added to that, is they are not even killing their bingo!!!!

BD is trying to fight the free market, a founding principle of our country! That is unacceptable!

I have an honest question for Soccerguy:

Are you from the Concord area/do you REALLY care about what's best for the Concord community, or was your email to the city council just a petulant expression of your angst over G7?

Oh, and....

5. Frankly, in this economy, whatever makes more $en$e for the local government is what they are most likely to do.

I'm from Chicago and I'd like to modify your post:

Frankly, in this economy, whatever makes more $en$e for the local government OFFICIALS is what they are most likely to do.

In Chicago we have a mayor with no legitimate opposition, a city council at his beck and call, a TIF (Tax Increment Financing) program skimming taxes to finance connected developers projects, the last two elected governors arrested - one on trial and one in jail, city council members serving time, top goverment administrators commiting suicide. I could go on.

What am I saying? Follow the money. The Blue Devils Organization is fighting an uphill battle and are probably pre-ordained to lose. They deserve our support not our envy because of their success. The cynic in me makes me feel that the DCP community will have little influence unless you can vote in local (Concord) elections. Perhaps the national attention we bring to the issue may force local government to tread lightly and be above board in their decision making process.

BD is trying to fight the free market, a founding principle of our country! That is unacceptable!

Actually trying to protect your part of the market by actions like those discussed have been going on for centuries. Sure the new (big) kid on the Bingo block went thru some of these actions to get as close as they are now.

The Boston Crusaders have been around almost twice as long as the Blue Devils organization has existed. In all that time I find it hard to imagine that they haven't had the same opportunities that the Blue Devils have. If the Blue Devils manage to take in five times more than your corps on a yearly basis, it sounds like a more constructive use of your time might be to ask yourself why the Boston Crusaders aren't bringing in that kind of money, and what they can do to match the Blue Devils' financial success.

Right on target with that Matt, thanks!

Really, do we all have to bandwagon around the same themes of but they have plenty of revenue, have won enough championships, are G squared or whatever....

One of they key political hot buttons since the early 80's in CA was that Indian Bingo had none of the restrictions and limitations other operations were required to abide by.

Add this Concord city/county political situation to that and I'm sure that all CA corps (and other not for profit operations) that use Bingo are rightly concerned.

If passed then who will be next in CA, Santa Clara county and SCV's bingo operations.

For me, this is yet another example of how government (while trying to act in the best interests of all) fail to recognize that regulation and legislation does not permit the free pursuit of success (or for that matter failure). Sorry edited as this is not really applicable as we are discussing profit versus not-for-profit.

Edited by Joe Salvatore

This isnt meant to be a slam on the BD organization, or any other drum corps organization. But how do corps support there local communities? I think it would be pretty safe to say that many of the world class corps do not have a majority of their membership from their local communities, and most of their staff members aren't from the local communities.......so then how is it that so many corps can try to say that they serve their local communities?

Again, not a slam but more of a curiosity of what corps do to show support to their local areas. Hopefully people post some positive things here that corps do

This spring Blue Stars performed at a variety of local events including a veteran's function and playing as WWII vets got off the plane returning from viewing their memorial in Washington, all at no cost to the community. In addition, the only request for people attending the Grand Debut which was very well attended and wasn't even a competition, was to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the La Crosse Area Hunger Task Force. There may be almost no one in the corps from La Crosse, but the organization still has a noticable impact on the community and is VERY well regarded locally.

Not sure about BD, but you asked about corps in general.

Edited by BozzlyB

Raking in over $5,000,000 in 2009 (according to the 990), they had darn well better be serving the local community. I'm sure having the B corps and the C corps is where the "local" involvement comes from, btw.

Perhaps the Blue Devils organization will have to scratch for every penny now like the rest of the activity.

For once, it looks as though the playing field really has been leveled....now let us see how they dominate the activity without taking in roughly five times per year what most other corps take in.

It's been pointed out already, but the BD organization is much more than just corps, including the twirling ensembles, a youth symphony and numerous other endeavors for the local youth.

It is simple, really. If the Boston Crusaders (or any of the other 40 or so DCI drum corps) had a huge bingo operation in Southern California, I'm sure those corps could also bring in $5,000,000 per year.

Not sure why you felt compelled to bring up Boston at all, but since you did, I will say YES, BAC has in fact survived 70 years, and done it through perserverence on a shoestring budget. I don't know you Matt, but please don't lecture ME on time spent contructively to help my drum corps survive...I've been at ground zero for 30 years, including 9 years teaching the corps without accepting a single penny in pay.

You need to know that this "why can't YOUR corps bring in that kind of money..etc") comment does your intellect a disservice. Based on your prior postings, you are a much more thoughtful person than that.

Matt,

FYI, even when the Crusaders ran a Bingo operation in MA, the type of video Bingo used (to HUGE success) by BD was not legal in MA--so the constituency AND the law was different, not providing groups with even the opportunity to engage the populace like BD.

To craiga's defense, I don't think he's resenting the Blue Devils for having and taking advantage of the opportunity, he's just commenting on how having an embarrassment of riches of Bingo resources may have contributed to their success, and the rest of the poor schlubs outside of CA have had to live in the "real world" of no Bingo (or less lucrative Bingo) for years.

edit: and one more thing: Schadenfreude and rooting for one's own team aside, no one on these boards (or near no one) wants to see less corps around. I'm sure almost all of us can agree with that.

Edited by Just A Plain Old Fan