Standing O's?

1986 for the 27th Lancers. Someone will have to help me with the circumstances, but it seems like we (fans, members, etc.) all knew that 1986 would be the last season for Two-Seven, so when they were announced in 13th place in semis everyone knew that it was over for one of the truly great drum corps. A mixed reaction at first (cheers and groans) that eventually grew into a very long ovation.

Edited by jwscv87

One that sticks in my memory was the 1982 show in Bayonne, NJ.... the long, thunderous standing ovation for the Blue Devils after they absolutely tore the place apart that night.

Yeap. I think we were told that was the best performance ever by a BD corps up to that time. One of our season goals.

From what I recall, the Bayonne crowd treated us to a standing ovation as we entered the stadium prior to our performance. We had that "killer" performance that night that we strived all season for where everything just clicked. Marching, brass, percussion, guard. Every section was "on"....and to a crowd that ate it up the entire show.

We also had an incentive that show. It was the show after Garfield beat SCV and if I recall, was the same day SCV broke the record score at DCI Canada they set the year before at Nationals. One of our season goals was breaking the record score set by Vanguard. One of our staff pumped up the corps in the only way he could...feeding our egos. He wanted us to make a statement that Garfield was playing with the big boys now and we were the only corps they had not beaten. We were going to be in their sites and we had to make a statement that we were going undefeated and by besting Garfield by a large margin, sending a message to SCV.

Aside from the competitive aspect of things. The performance we had that night is something that I hope everybody in drum corps can experience as a member. The level of performance. The crowd feeding off of the show and giving back with their response followed by the explosive standing O at the end of the show that night.

The feeling of standing there and having that feeling you just experienced a performance of a lifetime.....is something everybody in drum corps should experience.

27th Lancers-Foxboro,Ma-1994 Finals

One of my favorite all time performances. The crowd was wild. It was either 9 or 11 seperate standing ovations they received.And yes I actually counted because I was so impressed with 27 and the crowds reaction.

They went on after the Blue Devils who's show My Spanish Heart was outstanding.As great as BD was that night it was 27 who was the crowd's favorite. I consider it one of the greatest moments in Drum Corps history.

"One of the greatest moments in Drum Corps history. YES, for me too!

I'm actually sitting at my computer this very moment, wearing my 27th Lancers shorts with the red/gray plaid trim/cuffs! YES, it was the most electifying, magical, longest moment of shared pandemonium in the stands I ever experienced in my drum corps life (which began in 1965 marching base drum with the Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA ). The tears just flowed throughout 27th's show. Seeing that the column of synchronized spinning rifles coming at us OMG! :laughing:

I'd love to get my hands on a VHS tape/DVD copy of that once in a lifetime performance. Any Leads?

We had that "killer" performance that night that we strived all season for where everything just clicked. Marching, brass, percussion, guard. Every section was "on"....and to a crowd that ate it up the entire show.

Absolutely....that about sums up your corps' performance that night!!! What a pleasure to watch.

"Standing O's":

Too many to remember, going all the way back to the 1950's. One of the longest bouts of BOOOOING I ever heard was at the 1966 "Dream", where Blessed Sacrament upset the Chicago Cavaliers. :laughing: Pretty good lineup that afternoon, with Troopers in third followed by St Lucy's, Kilties and Chicago Royal Airs.

Elphaba

The tick system.....that's all I have to say

Star of Indiana - 1985 Bloomington show.

I'll approach this from an on the field perspective, both while in the Scouts. I have two moments that stand out.

1. Madison Scouts, August 8th, 1981 DCI Midwest, Warhawk Stadium, Whitewater, WI. This was one of the first shows where all of the big DCI Corps competed together.

We were in 3rd place after prelims. Our finals performance was our best performance of the year & we won the show beating BD by 1.15 & SCV by 1.5. When scores were announced, the crowd went berserk. This is the show that appears on the legacy DVD's since DCI was in Montreal that year & there was no PBS broadcast.

2. Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, August 11, 2006 DCI Championship Semi Finals, Badger Stadium, Madison, WI. From the beginning to the end of our performance, the crowd was on their feet going nuts. This was 13 minutes of pure bliss & joy.

• 3 months later...

The Standing O at the end of the 1981 Blue Devils DCI Finals performance.

The show that clicked for all of us from the field to the stands... They were still screaming when we rounded the corner after trooping the stands! That is when we started screaming! Best performance experience of my life! :thumbup:

"One of the greatest moments in Drum Corps history. YES, for me too!

I'm actually sitting at my computer this very moment, wearing my 27th Lancers shorts with the red/gray plaid trim/cuffs! YES, it was the most electifying, magical, longest moment of shared pandemonium in the stands I ever experienced in my drum corps life (which began in 1965 marching base drum with the Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA ). The tears just flowed throughout 27th's show. Seeing that the column of synchronized spinning rifles coming at us OMG! :tongue:

I'd love to get my hands on a VHS tape/DVD copy of that once in a lifetime performance. Any Leads?

Awesome, simply awesome.

I had an elevator ride with the outgoing and incoming directors of DCI who asked if my dad and I saw their rehearsal.

Upon saying no they said you're in for a treat.

I was shocked at how good the performance was for 27 that night.

Try http://www.beanman.net/page2.html

Edited by Joe Salvatore

Wow!

That was amazing, I had not seen it before - "Once More in 94" - thank you for that link.