Standing O's?

I've long said that the most memorable standing ovation I ever witnessed was the one given to Spirit of Atlanta at the World Championships in 1978, the year they first made Finals. In Prelims, the entire stadium of fans stood up when the corps got to the big hit in "Let it Be Me" and continued to stand all the way through to the end of the show and beyond. I've never witnessed another standing ovation so pronounced and so long DURING A PERFORMANCE. The fascinating thing about it was no one sat back down before the end.

I think part of the reaction was due to the corps only being around for two seasons and making such a big move up through the ranks in one year. That Jim Ott horn line (in his first year) was stellar.

As sad as it was, the ovation for Spirit in Memphis the day after Jim Ott had died was something I will never forget. Every corps in the show packed the stands and front side lines. Spirit set up in the set leading into their closer. They stood still and played their show but played and marched the closer. Not a dry eye in the place and people just screaming for them throughout Let It Be Me. I remember Crossmen members helping Spirit members who had fainted. It was hot and it was emotional. I don't know how they did it but it was THE loudest and most memorable moment for me in drum corps.

I've long said that the most memorable standing ovation I ever witnessed was the one given to Spirit of Atlanta at the World Championships in 1978, the year they first made Finals. In Prelims, the entire stadium of fans stood up when the corps got to the big hit in "Let it Be Me" and continued to stand all the way through to the end of the show and beyond. I've never witnessed another standing ovation so pronounced and so long DURING A PERFORMANCE. The fascinating thing about it was no one sat back down before the end.

I think part of the reaction was due to the corps only being around for two seasons and making such a big move up through the ranks in one year. That Jim Ott horn line (in his first year) was stellar.

Mike you're probably right but as I remember it... it was also a case of "LOUD IS GOOD" as they were unquestionably at that point the loudest any DCI corps had been to date...

Okay guys, so I just finished up watching Suncoast's Vietnam show (still one of my favorites), and the crowd reaction and standing ovation after the girl releases the balloon in requiem seems to last forever. For anyone who marched that year, were you used to waiting for the reaction to end so you could continue the show?

And to my main point, what is the longest standing O or crowd reaction that you guys remember? I know there have been some pretty classic moments where it seems like the crowd is never going to stop. What are the best to you guys?

Yankee Rebels' Requiem for an Era 1969 Dream show - somewhere they're still standing applauding.

1992 Velvet Knights (VK) at Camp Randall wild mad-cap merry mayhem - around the time the shark ate the Opera singer (the fat lady).

84 Cadets (I'm still applauding) at Georgia Tech.

Bridgemen in Birmingham, AL when the south won the war in Civil War Suite.

In spring of 77 we announced to the media it was our final year due to funding. That summer we performed about 50 times to audiences from 50 to 50,000 on our 10 week tour to 13 European countries. It took time to adjust after the tour. We performed for what was to be the last time in November 1977 at a football game. Select Advanced Search on DCP, select Brass Forum and type the keyword leotards for details. I remember when we did the half time show. The stadium full of football fans and they gave us a standing ovation. A very cool moment. By December we put the A and B corps together and marched for 2 more years. To this day, they remember us; an ovation that lasts forever. This isn't 77 but close to it

27th Lancers-Foxboro,Ma-1994 Finals

One of my favorite all time performances. The crowd was wild. It was either 9 or 11 seperate standing ovations they received.And yes I actually counted because I was so impressed with 27 and the crowds reaction.

They went on after the Blue Devils who's show My Spanish Heart was outstanding.As great as BD was that night it was 27 who was the crowd's favorite. I consider it one of the greatest moments in Drum Corps history.

Have to agree with you there.

1983 Troopers (25th anniversary show) DCI Midwest

Yup

Their Finals show that night was especially moving.

Oh. Wait...

Have to agree with you there.

Yep, I agree too......never seen or heard that much applause/emotion from an audience as that night. I can't explain the emotions, but EVERYONE, that night, couldn't control themselves during that performance. It will never happen again, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay guys, so I just finished up watching Suncoast's Vietnam show (still one of my favorites), and the crowd reaction and standing ovation after the girl releases the balloon in requiem seems to last forever. For anyone who marched that year, were you used to waiting for the reaction to end so you could continue the show?

No, we were not used to that reaction at all. In fact, there was usually such a sense of shock at the end of "Aquarius" as the siren faded, and when "The Wall" seemed to come up out of the ground that often the reaction was muted, or sporadic, or sometimes just silence.

In fact, the reaction at finals was so drastically different from what we had experienced or anticipated that when it happened we were not prepared for it. By not prepared I mean that there was never any discussion on how to start the closer if the vocal command from the drum major could not be heard everywhere on the field. I was back behind midfield in that form, as well as 1/3 of the hornline. That night, we never heard the vocal that started the closer. We were still kneeling when we saw "The Wall" come down, and we were supposed to already be standing at that point and taking the first step into the drill. If anybody who was watching, and paying attention to the back of the form, they saw the back 1/3 of the hornline start popping up at random and jumping into the drill. Somehow, by 8 counts into the drill, we were all back into our spots, and back in time. From what I've heard by asking around, almost no one noticed the missed start.

The crowd reaction that night at the end of "Requiem" is something I will remember for the rest of my life, and not because of the snafu starting the closer...