Can SCV pass the Cadets!?

In a word, NO!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW....I would love to be proven wrong, the possibilities would make things more exciting, but I can't see it happening. It will be BD, Cadets and Crown in some order in places 1-2-3. Then after that there's Cavies, Bluecoats, and maybe Phantom in some 4-5 position. That's the competitive intertia law. Looks like the best SCV can ever do, this season and beyond, it 6th place, maybe 7th.......until something earth-shattering happens, like a show so unbelieveably awesome the judging would be an embarrassment to not place them higher.

HockeyDad ... incredibly random question for you: do you post on the USCHO boards?

Phantom going from third to first and making up a nearly 1.5 spread in 96 was pretty impressive. Those placement jumps at Finals stopped when the tick system ended. That makes sense, since the tick system was largely performance-error based and consistency varied wildly "back in the day" (if scores/placement consistency are any indication at least).

the scores now are more design based, IMO, as you hinted at by saying the tick system was heavily performance based. The design only changes slightly as things are added or subtracted, thus leading to what is often referred to as "slotting"

I agree. All corps have already been slotted. There may be a move , but only within their defined slot (1-3) 4-5 6-7. therefore, they will nto go higher than 6th.

This scoring system sucks and needs to change

BTW....I would love to be proven wrong, the possibilities would make things more exciting, but I can't see it happening. It will be BD, Cadets and Crown in some order in places 1-2-3. Then after that there's Cavies, Bluecoats, and maybe Phantom in some 4-5 position. That's the competitive intertia law. Looks like the best SCV can ever do, this season and beyond, it 6th place, maybe 7th.......until something earth-shattering happens, like a show so unbelieveably awesome the judging would be an embarrassment to not place them higher.

you've got the CI theory all wrong - SCV already has the inertia since they've actually won before. So they could very easily move into the top 3 or win it based on CI alone. However, from what I've heard about their show, it doesn't look like this year is their year to make that move.

I agree. All corps have already been slotted. There may be a move , but only within their defined slot (1-3) 4-5 6-7. therefore, they will nto go higher than 6th.

This scoring system sucks and needs to change

SCV will not likely go higher than 6th because their show is not good enough and neither is their performance (at this point). It has nothing to do with slotting.

Slotting does exist, but it does not come in to play this early in the season. If SCV is in the top 4 at San Antonio then they have a shot... but they wont be.

I think SCV's show is good enough. It's different.... and amazing. Honestly, (and I know I am in the minority here), I was a little underwhelmed by the Cadets show the other night in Denver. I was expecting so much more, (their 2009 WSS was one of my favorites!). It was well-performed, but did not really hold my interest. I watched it again the next day because I thought I must have missed something. Nope. And the giggle and little boy character kind of made me cringe. It must just be me, because sooo many people really love Cadet's show.

I guess I prefer something a little out-of-the-norm. I love SCV's source music and show design. It's like a breath of fresh air. I know they have to clean, and there is more to come, (changes, plus pre-show). But, I really hope they surprise the nay-sayers come August. Meanwhile..... I'll just keep loving and enjoying this unique show!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest scores...

5 The Cadets : 89.2

6 Santa Clara Vanguard : 88.3

Now within a point. Still think it's unpossible guys?

And Phantom right behind SCV as well. Strange to imagine that if some of these corps manage to run for it, this Cadets corps could end up being their lowest placement in decades (7th is a distinct possibility, 8th is an outside chance but I'd say unlikely). Of course, knowing the Cadets, they could go on a tear and end up much higher.

Still, impressive effort by Santa Clara this year with a challenging show!

Latest scores...

5 The Cadets : 89.2

6 Santa Clara Vanguard : 88.3

Now within a point. Still think it's unpossible guys?

And Phantom right behind SCV as well. Strange to imagine that if some of these corps manage to run for it, this Cadets corps could end up being their lowest placement in decades (7th is a distinct possibility, 8th is an outside chance but I'd say unlikely). Of course, knowing the Cadets, they could go on a tear and end up much higher.

Still, impressive effort by Santa Clara this year with a challenging show!

Love Santa Clara this year, but no, still can't see it.

SO, could the Vanguard make a run for it with this show and overtake the Cadets?

No.

Having said that, I'd give ANYTHING to be wrong.