The Minneapolis Mash-Up

Dan Potter interviewed the U of M planning/conventions lady in charge of the stadium. She did say that DCI Minnesota would be back in 2011 - the week before the U2 concert. That would put DCI Minnesota on Saturday, July 16, 2011.

That's great, but they need to have the field house prepared for stand stills for rained out events, and I would even suggest they announce that upfront based on this year's outcome. My wife texted several of the Blue team on the buses after the cancellation and they really were psyched to play; and a stand still at least lets them release their show psych...to the joy of the fans getting point blank brass in their faces.

They probably couldve done a standstill in the stadium as well... either in the 'basement' (where a bunch of corps and fans were hanging out anyways, just move the corps back out into the hallways and let the crowd in there) or possibly in the dq club level. No place would be great for acoustics (standstills rarely are when theyre indoors) but itd be a chance to at least hear the shows.

It wouldn't surprise me if the University would not be open to using Williams Arena for such purpose. This may not be an option for the organizing committee.

While they do have event facilities at Williams for various things, such as weddings, I don't know that they allow ANYTHING that isn't a sporting event on the floor there. The equipment and miscellany of a DCI show may not be something U of M allow near the floor.

This show had all the makings of a truly memorable first-time event. You could sense the electricity in the air and knew there were going to be some great performances that night @ TCF Stadium. Corps buses, and trucks and fans were sighted all over town on Friday and Saturday and I predict next time DCI comes through the Twin Cites, there will be 10,000 more people in the stands and it will be a hard and hot ticket to find. Regrettably, the weather is unpredictable and you know the rest. Stadium seating is very close to the field and the feel from both decks of is very intimate. The slope is very condusive and the sound is great from endzone to endzone.

DCI must find a way to reduce the overall size of the competitive field while still keeping it a big regional event. Perhaps reduce it to Top 16 corps or split the 24 into an afternoon and evening show with 8 starting at 1:00pm - perhaps with a clinic for local marching bands followed by a 2-hour dinner break. Then, at 6:00pm, bring on the Top 16 Show.

Also, don't waste time in the main show with performances by Governaires (10 horns!) - let them host and perform in early show. And let Minnesota Brass (local Sr. Corp) perform finale in front of big crowd while final scores are being tallied and fixed. :worthy: With a few more tweeks from suggestions, I think DCI has the makings of a long-running summer standard, even though this first-ever contest got off to a soggy start. And I've been in that ugly Metrodome before. Trust me, there's nothing you want to see or hear in there.

I --like you-- missed seeing the Top 9 corps on Saturday night. But seeing Madison and Glassman and Blue Knights and Troopers, all perform LIVE on TCF Stadium Field convinced me that I want to see more drum corps shows there in the future. Don't let a little water and wind scare you away from Minnesota. Even that Favre guy from Green Bay is coming back for more! :thumbup:

given that Govies and MBI are both well known locally, i disagree strongly with relegating them to time killing performance slots...especially since MBI helped organiza the thing

They probably couldve done a standstill in the stadium as well... either in the 'basement' (where a bunch of corps and fans were hanging out anyways, just move the corps back out into the hallways and let the crowd in there) or possibly in the dq club level. No place would be great for acoustics (standstills rarely are when theyre indoors) but itd be a chance to at least hear the shows.

Yeah... the acoustics at Naperville were horrible. Just a big echo room. So I can't imagine many places (with few exceptions) would be any better. But I also agree that at the very least we could hear the corps play the music, and watch the drumline, and hear the pit sections, etc etc. Todays drum corps music really needs the drill to be performed with it though, as much of it (especially soft passages and percussion features) are many times designed as visual features on the field, so just listening to them is unfulfilling at best.

FWIW, at Naperville, when Spirit blasted into "Georgia" during their standstill performance, I got goose bumps the size of small cars on my arms. In fact, just talking about it now gave me goose bumps again! :worthy: It was awesome!

Edited by GGarrett

What is it about rain that makes a corps perform? Pio just put on their best performance of the season. In the Rain!

Speaking as a FMM of Blue Rock, we performed in an AWESOME thunderstorm at 1973 U S Open Finals (Saturday night/rained out)! The crowd tends to appreciate corps that continue to perform, even though there is rain, thunder and even lightning! Ask some of the "old timers" about that show! While some people ran for cover as the rain started, most of the crowd stayed put and cheered the corps on through the lightning and thunder! The croud got louder and louder as the rain and lightning came, and we responded with even more determination to give them a show they would always remember!

Trust me, people do remember the performances corps offer during rainstorms! Lightning is dangerous, and should never be taken lightly. However, in the heat of battle some corps uised to elect to perform even through lightning storms! Those corps received much respect from drum corps hungry crowds!

I remember Madison Scouts, 1991, Dallas TX, DCI Finals! What a show! Quite a few corps performed under threatening skies during the 1994 DCI quarterfinals in Foxboro, MA! Show was called just as SCV was taking the field, if I remember correctly.

FACT! Corps respond to crowd reaction. Crowds react to corps showing increased effort and guts!

Note to today's corps: Show your drum corps heart and the crowd will go nuts!

Drum Corps Nuts!

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I remember Madison Scouts, 1991, Dallas TX, DCI Finals! What a show!

Drum Corps Nuts!

Don't you mean '93 in Jackson, MS during the Scouts performance? I don't recall warming up in the rain in '91, in fact, it was a perfect night for Drum Corps in '91 and '92....however, '93 Jackson was a disaster for rain for the Scouts, but they kicked it up a notch!

Same thing in '96 at Madison during Phantom's show at Preview of Champions....they did an awesome job in the rain!

they should've let the corps give their best efforts performing their shows on the hockey rink.

Corps with the most members still standing at the end of their shows wins?

It wouldn't surprise me if the University would not be open to using Williams Arena for such purpose. This may not be an option for the organizing committee.

While they do have event facilities at Williams for various things, such as weddings, I don't know that they allow ANYTHING that isn't a sporting event on the floor there. The equipment and miscellany of a DCI show may not be something U of M allow near the floor.

Our local winterguard and percussion circuits once held their championships at the Sports Pavillion, which is adjacent to Williams Arena. I think Williams Arena itself would be out due to the fact that the basketball court is elevated.