Drums Along the Monon

That's the difference right there between Boston and Phantom... percussion. Phantom beat Boston by 2.7 pts in Percussion, the exact difference in overall point total difference ( 2.7 )

Phantom's achilles heel is their Guard. It's going to be tough for Phantom Regiment to move into the top 5. You either have a good guard or you don't.

But it's a good thing for Phantom that they have this terrific percussion section.

Phantom beat them in music and GE.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh.

To my favorite drum corps from Milwaukee....(Full disclosure: I'm a former marching member of Pioneer)

Someway, somehow the folks with the recorders will start recognizing your improvement as a corps and admit that you are getting better every day.

To the judging community...

How about some consistency? Even the unwashed masses can watch the videos and see the improvement....Geez. A week's worth of work and you drop them? Do you really want to slot them that badly? Different year, same story. Barf.

Of all the things I loved and hated about marching, improving the on-field product and dropping in score was always so tough to swalllow. Give the kids the credit they deserve!

7/13 - Carmel, IN - 67.900

7/6 - Metamora, IL - 68.050

7/2 - Cedarburg, WI - 65.400

7/1 - Oswego, IL - 66.200

6/30 - Dubuque, IA - 64.400

Keep getting better every day, Pioneer. The people that really matter are noticing!

That's the difference right there between Boston and Phantom... percussion. Phantom beat Boston by 2.7 pts in Percussion, the exact difference in overall point total difference ( 2.7 )

Phantom's achilles heel is their Guard. It's going to be tough for Phantom Regiment to move into the top 5. You either have a good guard or you don't.

But it's a good thing for Phantom that they have this terrific percussion section.

you either have a good designer or you don't...

as far as individual issues, it's the boys (as a whole) in the guard who are bringing the overall guard down.

At this point, one has to raise some questions about numbers management. I have no issue with these placements, but the drum number is highly suspect. PR over Boston by ****2.7*****??? That kind of a spread in a single caption ends up being a show decider, and in a larger show, could affect a corps by 5 or 6 placements. Interestingly, only 24 hours before, BAC was only .8 behind PR with a different judge at the Fairfield show. I am NOT making this up....

Conversely, at the Fairfield show, one judge opened up a 1.6 spread between Blue Stars and Boston in Music Ensemble, and 24 hours later that spread dropped to .3!!!!

I do NOT buy that the performances by these corps at this point in the midseason are varying by this much. I know full well that they will say that they "call 'em as they see 'em", but these wild swings are not doing anybody any favors. The judges are paid to rate and rank, and when someone opens up a 1.6 or an amazinbg 2.7 pt spread in a single caption, the judging community needs to police itself.

you do realize that the three music captions are added together and divided by 2 right. so that 2.7 in percussion really only comes out to 1.35 in the final score. the other 1.35 was in GE & Visual.

you do realize that the three music captions are added together and divided by 2 right. so that 2.7 in percussion really only comes out to 1.35 in the final score. the other 1.35 was in GE & Visual.

...and Boston BEAT Phantom in GE Visual and Guard....which proves the point that such a huge spread in percussion DOES make a difference in the big picture.....2.7 in drums, compared with .8 spread 24 hours earlier in Fairfield....?

numbers management, people.....

Edited by craiga

Blue Stars scoring pretty good in the music category, especially ensemble now two shows in a row. They are really in a good position to gain ground if they can get the cleaning done, it's the visual dirt holding them back right now. I predict a slow and steady race with them in 8th again, but don't think they have the legs to go higher right now. Prove me wrong Blue Stars. FCO.

Phantom beat them in music and GE.

I understand that. I didn't attempt to go through all the captions. ( BAC beat them in visual, guard, etc ) I purposefully selected out the caption that largely was responsible for the difference between Phantom and Boston,which was the point of my comment above. It was Percussion. 2.7 pt spread.( combined captions ) 1.5 pts is huge spread for a single caption, which Phantom hadin Percussion caption alone. Phantom is even beating title contending Corps like Bluecoats in Percussion now. Phantom has a terrific percussion section.

Edited by BRASSO