Congratulations - We did it!

Congratulations to all corps.....thats great !

Just out of curiousity,I kind of wondered how a Drum Corps qualifies as a Charity. Non- profit maybe but a Charity? Drum Corps don't give away a service to the community. Most don't even belong to a community anymore. Also to belong costs a fortune.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great but was just wondering how it worked. Maybe someone knowing more than me can answer.

If a drum corps is an orgainzation registered with the IRS as a non-profit, they would qualify.....looking through many of the non-drum corps top 200 in this contest, it is obvious that while not all are "charities" in the Salvation Army sense, all are non-profits. Some are invloved with elder care, remedial education, and summer education programs for youth, etc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a drum corps is an orgainzation registered with the IRS as a non-profit, they would qualify.....looking through many of the non-drum corps top 200 in this contest, it is obvious that while not all are "charities" in the Salvation Army sense, all are non-profits. Some are invloved with elder care, remedial education, and summer education programs for youth, etc.

thanks......i knew all or most were non profit just the chariety thing confused me...thank you

thanks......i knew all or most were non profit just the chariety thing confused me...thank you

I'm no expert...it's just what I read on their site...... :rolleyes:

We have thousands who contribute to Drum Corps and it is a charity from a giving perspective. Every charity has expenses and revenues and I believe Drum Corps is a good cause.

At the Bristol show, the announcer - Paul Cain mentioned that it is all to often that we read about the terrible things that some youth get involved with, but rare that we read about what our "Drum Corps" kids do.

Our kids can make a choice and the ones that choose Drum Corps make a great one!

We may have our differences of beliefs on the state of the activity but one thing remains constant - our kids are involved with a positive and fulfilling experience.

We are not trying to cure something but help sustain a positive character building experience.

We have thousands who contribute to Drum Corps and it is a charity from a giving perspective. Every charity has expenses and revenues and I believe Drum Corps is a good cause.

At the Bristol show, the announcer - Paul Cain mentioned that it is all to often that we read about the terrible things that some youth get involved with, but rare that we read about what our "Drum Corps" kids do.

Our kids can make a choice and the ones that choose Drum Corps make a great one!

We may have our differences of beliefs on the state of the activity but one thing remains constant - our kids are involved with a positive and fulfilling experience.

We are not trying to cure something but help sustain a positive character building experience.

:rolleyes::tongue::thumbup:

A BIG CONGRATS to the more than 20+ groups of Musical Organizations that won in both rounds of the contest.

That alone speaks volumes about the need and support of performing arts and music education.

$300,000 was awarded to 14 Drum Corps in the two Chase contests.

That money was sorely needed by each corps to continue on with their respective missions.

Job well done.

Ok, what's next?

Edited by adsigns

You are so right. I didn't question that at all. With kids paying what they do and corps reAllly not in communitities much anymore I was just wondering. I think non profits deserve this and more banks should put their excess monies to good use like this

congrats to the corps getting this money.

Most interesting that only ONE out of the 10 is a member of the "group that shall not be named"...if that group needs the money so badly, why aren't more of THEM, with their alleged greater popularity, on there?

Pretty cheesy Grump! I don't suppose it occurred to you that fans/supporters of the "group that shall not be named" might vote for corps we feel might need the money more. Again, pretty cheesy. :rolleyes:

well said.

Congrats to all the above corps!

Since this contest was based on vote getting for non-profits, I don't believe there was anything barring open class corps from contending, as long as they had the appropriate tax status........

Racine Scouts was also hoping to get selected. To bad they couldn't generate a little more fan interest.

Nice article and photo essay about their work with the Feeding America charity on DCI.