Academy question

The Blue Knights and Troopers are the only corps in the rocky mountain region and still manage to tour the whole summer. The closest corps to them are, respectively, the Academy in AZ and The colts in IA... and there are only a few shows a year in colorado/wyoming... 2 per year? same amount as in AZ.

As i might have mentioned in my first post, DCI is trying to add corps which will add more competing groups at shows, thus making the shows more appealing, which in turn allows DCI and show promoters to increase the ticket prices and make more money. DCI isn't in the strongest financials right now and the biggest way to recover from that is to allow a larger number of shows with more corps at those shows. If corps were to take that tour model of the academy then the tour wouldn't start until July and a lot of shows would be cut out. Based off of this year's numbers it would eliminate 22 shows on the DCI tour.... and DCI isn't about to cut shows when they take pride in the fact that they are adding more and more shows every year.

My "club med" comment is referring to taking time away from the tour responsibilities, like performing almost every night, traveling, rehearsing a short day, you know... the rigors of an actual tour.

Again, my comments maybe directed at the academy, but it goes for these other corps that are "victims" of their current situation. A full tour with buses, fuel, food, and everything else runs $750K-1million. With tour fees not helping much you have to do a lot to get that money. And i know that Mr. Brace will be requesting another check from me, but i already contribute to my two teams in my rocky mountain backyard. I respect both organizations because they put up with all day schedules that are tough as well. As a previous poster had said about the academy, the Blue knights do the same thing! members fly out and house, drive to rehearsal with bag lunches and dinners, and then drive home. The troopers have a lot of hardships locking down rehearsal sites in wyoming for more than a week at a time and bus a lot during all days to and from rehearsal sites... sometimes housing and rehearsal fields... and not to mention the SNOW IN JUNE that happens every year... yet they still manage to produce a fully touring world class corps.

If it's a money issue to these organizations then maybe you should be in a different division until you are ready to tour full time. The Bluestars in 2004 and 2005 toured a full 35 show tour and managed to be very financially responsible. They moved to division 1 without any real issues. Also if money is the issue maybe the Academy, PC, etc. maybe should have attended seminars at the DCI meetings to increase sustainability. I know Troopers director put on one last year that highlighted the corps being in huge financial debt, folding, and coming back to a strong financial foundation.

What he said!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're comparing a corps that is LITERALLY in the smack dab middle of the majority of DCI's tour to a corps that is 1624 miles away from the Colts first show in Normal, IL? Lets do some very rough and ugly math.

If The Academy were to do The Colts' tour it would be an additional 2900 miles per vehicle. Figure 3 buses, 2 semi's, Staff bus/RV, plus usually some volunteer's vehicles, and the souvie truck. 1 semi @ 8 miles per gallon = 362 more gallons than The Colts would need. Average price of diesel @ Flying J's right now is around $2.95/gallon. 362 x 2.95 = $1067. For one truck. If they have to hire drivers rather than having Class A certified volunteers the price goes even higher. And it's roughly a 24 hour drive from Tempe to Normal, so they'd have to stop halfway and find housing/rehearsal site somewhere in Oklahoma which is even more cost.

# of DCI shows within 500 miles:

The Colts - 37

The Academy - 8

Please stop pretending that their geographical location is a non-issue.

Well, good point.

write the Academy a check and that will help.

Also, how many Colts alumni are out there alive? How's that Native American Gaming Board thing working for thiose guys? Don't worry, we are working on copying that model here in AZ where Native American gaming outpaces Iowa. Give us some time...and if you like what Academy is doing to get further along in this activity, support the corps...buy a souvie, write a check. Or, keep your focus on what your favorite corps is/is not doing instead.

Ahh yes, the donate or you don't have an opinion rule.

Also if money is the issue maybe the Academy, PC, etc. maybe should have attended seminars at the DCI meetings to increase sustainability.

The Academy is always looking for new ways to generate more funding and has expanded their efforts each year, bit by bit. Does anyone keep in mind the fact that just 10 years ago, The Academy was a small brass and percussion ensemble? They used an instrument donor program to purchase the first full set of horns in 2003. The group also began it's Memorial Day concert. The corps also has an annual Benefit Dinner. In 2008, AAPA began the Centerstage production with 3 performances over two nights.

Many on this board make it sound as if the organization is run by schmucks trying to stick it to DCI. They have a well thought out plan for growth and stability!

Look at it this way:

2001: Organization founded with only brass and percussion.

2003: First set of horns purchased, still in exhibition.

2004: First competitive season, performed at six shows.

2005: Performed at 10 shows, ended the season in Denver.

2006: Went to Finals in Madison, WI for the first time and won Division II.

2007: First year in "Division I" and again traveled to Finals.

2008: Added four more shows, and moved to closer to a "World Class" touring model, earned a full sponsorship from Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic.

2009: Added three more shows and bounced back from 2008.

2010: Same amount of shows as 2009.

Their growth and improvement is similar to the current darling of the activity, Carolina Crown. Founded in 1988 and winning Division II in 1993. That's six years to win a title, the same amount of time it took The Academy. So for this point in their history I think that they are doing very, very well.

The Troopers came back from extinction, but how many years of history and proud alumni did they have to assist? They were founded in 1957! Same goes for the Blue Knights, founded in 1958 and the Blue Stars in 1964. They have had years and years of experience to learn from mistakes and figure out a model that works for them.

How can you ignore the growth the organization has had in just a decade? There are efforts being made each year in order to expand the organization and improve the experience for members and fans. I'm extremely proud of what this group has accomplished in such a short amount of time!

What he said!

Funny thing is .. the tour for DCI used to start in mid July and they were making a better profit then than they are now .....

hmmmmmmmmmmm

If it's a money issue to these organizations then maybe you should be in a different division until you are ready to tour full time. The Bluestars in 2004 and 2005 toured a full 35 show tour and managed to be very financially responsible. They moved to division 1 without any real issues. Also if money is the issue maybe the Academy, PC, etc. maybe should have attended seminars at the DCI meetings to increase sustainability. I know Troopers director put on one last year that highlighted the corps being in huge financial debt, folding, and coming back to a strong financial foundation.

Ok, so now you want them to move down a division. What about the talk when The Academy was in Div II saying that they should move up to Div I. If they kept going in Div II, how many people would have been complaining because they were constantly winning and that they need to move up. I'm sure people like you who are complaining now were the same ones who were complaining then.

Also, I'm certain that the Director of The Academy along with some staff and other people from the Organization did go to seminars during the DCI Meetings. But according to you they obviously didn't, so why don't you apply to be their accountant and in charge of The Academy. You obviously know more than them, so step up to the plate and show us what you've got.

The Academy is always looking for new ways to generate more funding and has expanded their efforts each year, bit by bit. Does anyone keep in mind the fact that just 10 years ago, The Academy was a small brass and percussion ensemble?

Oh, come on. Stop interrupting a whiny ##### session with revelations that the Academy leadership has a thoughtful, reasoned approach to developing the corps!

im curious as to the debate of what a full tour is because according to dci show break down is like so

Academy - 22

BD - 26

Cavies - 29

Cadets - 30

SCV - 27

so if the academy is only doing 4 shows less then the DEFENDING CHAMPS how are they not a true WORLD CLASS drum corps. ok so they don't leave Arizona sooner fail to see the relevance in this situation...other corps are just doing the same thing other places not at home.