Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

So far, this has been from the audiences perspective, let's turn it around and ask the big question.....

Who wants to spend their summer marching with an exhibition corps instead of competing against other corps?

As a filler, these " exhibitions Drum Corps " could do ribbon cutting ceremonies, shopping mall openings, parades, Bar Miitzvah's, beach picnic gatherings, High School reunions, town celebration festivals, rodeos, band shell concerts on the town square, and so forth...... afterall, without the 25-35 competitions, they'd be plenty of time and opportunities to strike up the band for the public during the summer exhibition tour.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, this has been from the audiences perspective, let's turn it around and ask the big question.....

Who wants to spend their summer marching with an exhibition corps instead of competing against other corps?

Let's not forget that part of what drives these corps to work so hard and be so good IS the competition factor!

Let's not forget that part of what drives these corps to work so hard and be so good IS the competition factor!

Stu, bravo..that is 100% correct. Competition fuels the activity, without they are just lame duck groups of spectacle driven, hockey schlock !

G

:tongue::tongue:

Stu, bravo..that is 100% correct. Competition fuels the activity, without they are just lame duck groups of spectacle driven, hockey schlock !

G

Well....and I might add....YOUR NOSE IS WET so watch where you sniff Buster!! :tongue:

The Rose Bowl was a mixed bag, and I'm not suggesting that this is a strategy, but it was a means of exposure to a new population...that's all. Here is what I know is true...my son and his two buddies from BD spent quite some time after the encore signing autographs and taking pictures with fans, he said there was several hundred. Yes, he and his buds are doing special videos on Mediabox for BD as MM's but that shows you that there is room to connect to the audience in new ways not just a bunch of replicants coming and going through the tunnels and disappearing. BD and others are trying to expand this and embracing a public that can find this activity extremely entertaining, they just need to try. Who has the answers.....don't know....but if this is left to the old guard, it will whither...IMO.

Yea, I get the sentiment, Plan. I just don't think the solution involves gutting DCI and throwing the non-G7 off the bus. And I don't want the friggin' woodwinds - and I think the uniqueness of the activity is what, in fact, will save it.

I feel exactly the same about the old guard. Thank God they're gone!

That G7 meeting brought just enough leverage to kick the old guard down the road. Thank God! the framers of the activity recognized the possibility of a rogue takeover and implanted in the by-laws a remedy for the remaining directors.

Oh, so much more...

As a filler, these " exhibitions Drum Corps " could do ribbon cutting ceremonies, shopping mall openings, parades, Bar Miitzvah's, beach picnic gatherings, High School reunions, town celebration festivals, rodeos, band shell concerts on the town square, and so forth...... afterall, without the 25-35 competitions, they'd be plenty of time and opportunities to strike up the band for the public during the summer exhibition tour.

Dont forget livestock shows, theres one in Allentown...oh, no, thats a Drum corps city. Pie eating contests, hot dog eating contests......its endless !

G

The same is not true about other facets of entertainment, including drum corps. We don't talk about the violin section of the Philadelphia Orchestra scoring higher tonight vs. that of the Boston Symphony in their Summer Pops Concert at Tanglewood. Or the Ringling Bros. clowns are going to be up 3/10ths on the Cincinnati Shriners clowns at the Garden. The only place where there seems to be this phony sense of competition is wherever there is an actual gambling point spread and on fake productions like America's Got Talent, American Idol, the dance shows... and DCI.

There are all sorts of competitions and prizes in the arts and entertainment, from the Oscars, Emmys, Tonys, Grammys, Pulitzers on down through the ranks to concert and marching competitions for high school bands. Even in classical music: the venue where I work has several times hosted a piano competition with a top prize of $50,000. Not to mention figure skating, as much a subjectively-judged art as a sport: "Quad is quad!"

without they are just lame duck groups of spectacle driven, hockey schlock !

G

HEY !!!