An interesting Lewisburg review

losing the Big 33 is a ton more bad PR for Hershey than a drum corps show or marching band show, and they know it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

losing the Big 33 is a ton more bad PR for Hershey than a drum corps show or marching band show, and they know it.

But HERCO still ####ed with Big 33 like any other outside group wanting to use the facilities.

LOL, stories I could tell from the October Antique car show.

Regarding the original music issue- here's a dirty secret as to why you're seeing so much of it.

It's expensive to get performance copyrights in certain instances, the fees run into several thousand dollars depending on the music, and there are lawyers out there hunting for bands and corps and then fining them if they didn't get permission.

Philip Sparke, a wind band composer, has guys out there looking for instance. His fees run about 2-3 grand, pay him or his lawyers sock you for 5 grand in fines.

Some composers, Hank Levy and Don Ellis for instance, specifically left the stipulation in their wills that if an educational group asks permission, that they pay nothing, Bless them.

So, you get a lot of original music programmed or stuff that's public domain nowadays. The pendulum has swung, and now the composers are getting fat, and corps and bands are selling ham sammiches for nothing more than to stave off copyright lawyers and to lay off the composers....

BIGW - I was aware about the music licensing fees for 'some' music, but paying say a $2500 license fee to score a show around a recent Broadway hit show is 2-4x less than paying one of the corp arrangers out there to come up with an original score with mostly forgettable music. The vast majority of music - whether it be classical,jazz or whatever is available gratis. We've seen the magnificent scores corps such as SC Vanguard has done with classical works - against the framework of today's brass lines - stunning and entertaining.

As for the 'foot tapping' at a DCI show - are you show the foot wasn't trying to kill a bug ? Years ago - the best and the not as good corps played enjoyable music primarily. Not so today. Far too much of the shows are akin to sleep therapy - though admittedly the execution of the brass lines is stunning. Percussion lines are musical versus rudiments based though sound aside - the execution on a 'tic' basis I find to be certainly no better in comparing the best lines of today versus xx years ago.

BIGW - I was aware about the music licensing fees for 'some' music, but paying say a $2500 license fee to score a show around a recent Broadway hit show is 2-4x less than paying one of the corp arrangers out there to come up with an original score with mostly forgettable music. The vast majority of music - whether it be classical,jazz or whatever is available gratis. We've seen the magnificent scores corps such as SC Vanguard has done with classical works - against the framework of today's brass lines - stunning and entertaining.

As for the 'foot tapping' at a DCI show - are you show the foot wasn't trying to kill a bug ? Years ago - the best and the not as good corps played enjoyable music primarily. Not so today. Far too much of the shows are akin to sleep therapy - though admittedly the execution of the brass lines is stunning. Percussion lines are musical versus rudiments based though sound aside - the execution on a 'tic' basis I find to be certainly no better in comparing the best lines of today versus xx years ago.

drumlines have different demands today...they are doing a LOT more visually than years gone by...hell it was the mid 80's in DCA until drumlines all around finally moved off the 50. but the musicality aspect is very cool to hear, and some pits are doing incredible things vs. what they did 25 years ago.

A Judge does have a serious issue when dealing with crowd reaction. It primarily manifests itself at band shows. You can usually smell it a mile away when the band turns around and all of a sudden, a patch of people who were dormant for the last hour and a half hit the cowbells and go potty. THAT has been one of the reasons judges of late are utterly fearful of letting a crowd reaction become a serious issue with their final determination. It's hard to tell sometimes who are homers and whether the reaction is genuine.

1982 Grand Prix, the Meadowlands:

Westshore took the field and the instant we were announced, 5-6k of fans, mostly for Sky and hoping we broke our unbeaten streak, booed their arses off. Should THAT have affected the show's end result, in that we won regardless of whether the crowd was instantly hostile no matter what the hell we did?

That's the big issue. Who knows how many plants are in that audience to affect the reactions? You really need to be listening and paying more attention to the show, not trying to constantly gauge if reactions are genuine or fake. Is one or more of the corps performing in a home turf situation? That can also make a difference, too. I worked for a band director who coached his parents on when to react during the show. It was subtle. It made a difference.

A couple of years ago, I staffed a band and tried a little trick when they performed at Championhips. I sat in the stands looking like any guy or typical Band Dad, not looking like a staff member behind most of the crowd on the 48. When there was something that happened that was well-done and an appropriate moment, I started to applaud. A LOT of the audience went along like sheep. It certainly helped the kids a ton with their confidence and performance. What's not to say a DCA corps can't have plants in the audience to drive crowd reactions as well? I've done it! It's not hard to do! For all I know, if the right person reads this, you can thank me for the idea later!

Sometimes, it's obvious whether the crowd reactions are genuine, and it should be noted accordingly. It DOES happen.

On the other hand, sometimes the crowd sits on their hands for a great moment (particularly in band if a band did not bring their 48979376 parents and cowbells because it was a long trip). Should I dock that band or corps because they're in front of people who obviously don't care one whit about anything but their own people and don't know how to appreciate a daggone thing beyond their kids or corps and don't care to?

Judges have to be fair, they have to read a crowd, and act accordingly. And really, the judge should have as their primary goal and focus watching and listening the show itself and what's actually going on in the performance itself rather than trying to constantly gauge a crowd reaction for its sincerity. To do otherwise isn't what they're paid or being truly asked to do from the member corps.

Nice post.....enjoyed reading it.

So I was recently at the Lewisburg show and I decided to bring along a relative of mine to show them what this activity was that I enjoyed so much.

This person has seen another drum corps show that I took them to a few years ago, but is definitely not a drum corps expert. Outside of marching band halftimes this person rarely sees the marching arts, but is a big supporter of music in general. I did my best to explain the basics of the drum corps medium to them. So I would say that this review is from the eyes and ears of a general person who doesn't know the sheets, but does know what entertains them. I thought it was interesting enough to include here. This is my paraphrasing of what our conversation was after the show had concluded. Again this is not my review but rather that of someone else to give an outsiders perspective.

Bushwackers - They are small, but I can see what they are doing. I think their show would sound better if they had more people. They have a very interesting show and I get the concept.

Hurricanes - Deep sound with some interesting music. Very colorful presentation. Interesting idea for a show although a little harder to follow and it doesn't flow like some of the other shows. Not the best "high points" as compared to the other corps.

Empire Statesmen - Oh my goodness! Loved the entertainment value. The story was awesome to follow which made the show much more enjoyable. Familiar music with a lot of big impact and wow moments. Colors were very nice although the "flags" (color guard) could have been better. Very fun to watch.

Buccaneers - A very nice program, however noticed a few drops from the "flags" (color guard) that took away from some of the high moments. Good sound overall and the marching was very good. Show flowed fairly well but didn't tell as good of a "story" as Empire.

Caballeros - Loved the mask ideas and the color change in the "flags" at the end. Interesting concept of a show, using different masks throughout the show and different sounds and tempos throughout. Marching wasn't as good as some of the others. Extremely big sound and beautiful solo.

Their prediction of the outcome

1. Empire

2. Cabs

3. Bucs

4. Hurcs

5. Bush

Again leave the flames at home, these are not my thoughts but I thought it was interesting to see what the "general public" would think about the shows this year. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

Interesting review. Thanks for sharing! It reminds me of the night I brought a (non drum corps) friend to a DCI show at Giant's Stadium. He laughed so much during Velvet Knight's performance and ,not surprisingly, told me VK was his favorite group. A few years ago, I brought another friend to a show who is a mariner by trade who was wowed by Cavaliers. After they were done performing he said, " That group looks like they are professionals". It was the year that Cavies did that "robot" show. 2006?

Yes, you pay the 2-3 grand for copyrights and THEN pay the arranger x k to do their thing.... you still sadly end up in the hole when the bills come in.

Yes, but just because you obtain copyright privileges, doesnt mean the actual arranging comes for free.

Permission is only that. You get permission as is "Yes or No". They dont arrange anything for you or provide you with anything whatsoever

other than permission to use the material. THEN you have to get an arranger.

Nice post.....enjoyed reading it.

Thanks, Robby. The staff you were with at Bush taught me a lot about the nature of effect just through having various conversations with them. I learned a lot, and I have to give them credit where it's due. :tongue:

<lottsa snipped>

I doubt any DCI corp gets your 'foot tapping' these days.

hard to tap your foot to 3.5/4.72 time