An interesting Lewisburg review

...Using the Cabs Alumni example - 'rumps' charging off the line this year is a perfect example of electrifying and entertaining a crowd who are paying the money to be entertained versus being limited to a few wow moments of today's corps however stunningly superb the brass lines might be - and there are some magnificent DCI lines out there today for sure. I doubt any DCI corp gets your 'foot tapping' these days.

I go to both DCA and DCI shows and I find that I am entertained at both. I have even caught myself tapping my foot at a DCI show, although I stopped it immediately as to not appear foolish to all the DCI snobs sitting around me. :tongue:

I alsso like to see the Cabs Alumni at shows for nostalgia's sake. It's great that you can go to a show and see their style of show along with the current corps. I really miss Larry H's show at Hershey where you could really see just about EVERYTHING that drum corps has to offer...Top DCI, DCA, Alumni and usually the USMC D& B Corps. Someone has to get that show going again!

It's all drum corps and it's all good!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to both coloradocorps and brassyNsassy for the kind words. We're out there doing what we love, playing music the folks will recognize in our 'old style,' and hoping the crowd enjoys it as well. Crowd reaction means everything to us, because we are not there for a score or a placement -- those days are behind us. We want to perform well, but we also want to enjoy ourselves and please the crowd.

Our drum section 'huddles' just before every performance, and some of the last things I tell them are, "Entertain the h*** out of them (the crowd)!" and "Have fun out there!"

I think we are succeeding so far this year.

Our drum section 'huddles' just before every performance, and some of the last things I tell them are, "Entertain the h*** out of them (the crowd)!" and "Have fun out there!"

I think we are succeeding so far this year.

From my standpoint, it's been successful for years! :tongue:

Regarding the original music issue- here's a dirty secret as to why you're seeing so much of it.

It's expensive to get performance copyrights in certain instances, the fees run into several thousand dollars depending on the music, and there are lawyers out there hunting for bands and corps and then fining them if they didn't get permission.

Philip Sparke, a wind band composer, has guys out there looking for instance. His fees run about 2-3 grand, pay him or his lawyers sock you for 5 grand in fines.

Some composers, Hank Levy and Don Ellis for instance, specifically left the stipulation in their wills that if an educational group asks permission, that they pay nothing, Bless them.

So, you get a lot of original music programmed or stuff that's public domain nowadays. The pendulum has swung, and now the composers are getting fat, and corps and bands are selling ham sammiches for nothing more than to stave off copyright lawyers and to lay off the composers....

Agreed. Yeah...I know...I have yet to actually SEE a show (believe me I KNOW), however I made a comment regarding Empire's visual book on these boards right after viewing the YouTube postings of their program. The drill, doesn't have a lot of movement, doesn't particularly seem to support the music very well and stops a lot...sometimes in places where the show just begs for movement. An example (unless they've already made changes) is the ending of The Wiz which just begs for mondo visual. The good news is that the horns/music sounded pretty darn good, even for June and I had the feeling that if they could keep it close in percussion, while winning the horns/music effect captions, Empire might be able to offset the spread Reading appears to be opening in visual. Unfortunately, based on Lewisburg recaps, that is not the way this appears to be working out. I thought, and still think that visual design will cost them the championship much like it cost MBI last year. But hey...as long as John Q. Public loves them, I guess they will be happy.

Oh yeah......FREE TOM D'BOMB!!!

Oh it's on now....

You gotta stop judging Empire by those practice videos from 6 weeks ago... the guard was wearing civies, and using last year's color pre flags (this year's practice flags)... they are broken into, what 6? different videos, and not even in order... I'm guessing they're from some rookie's Mom. - I'll say it - they're brutal.

Go see a show for goodness sake...I haven't seen the Bucs so what do I know? Maybe they're boring. I wouldn't know that cuz I haven't seen them.

Now don't go reporting me - you cyber-nark.

FREE TOM D'BOMB T-shirts now available.

Oh it's on now....

You gotta stop judging Empire by those practice videos from 6 weeks ago... the guard was wearing civies, and using last year's color pre flags (this year's practice flags)... they are broken into, what 6? different videos, and not even in order... I'm guessing they're from some rookie's Mom. - I'll say it - they're brutal.

Go see a show for goodness sake...I haven't seen the Bucs so what do I know? Maybe they're boring. I wouldn't know that cuz I haven't seen them.

Now don't go reporting me - you cyber-nark.

FREE TOM D'BOMB T-shirts now available.

I seen Empire Live! LOL, Tom! And.. why should we free you!??? Are you Mostly Harmless or is there something you're not telling us!????? :tongue:

HAHA ... this is so funny ... I vividly remember a GE judge in 80 or 81 saying " ... the crowd is in a frenzy and seems to be enjoying the show very much but, I can't let that affect my opinion of your performance ... yada ... yada ..."

:-)

And there you have it AFFECT vs. EFFECT ....

It's EFFECT and if the EFFECT (or result) was to make the crowd roar then they were EFFECTive.

And as of Dec of 1990, the Judge CAN let the crowd "affect" them...

I go to both DCA and DCI shows and I find that I am entertained at both. I have even caught myself tapping my foot at a DCI show, although I stopped it immediately as to not appear foolish to all the DCI snobs sitting around me. :tongue:

I alsso like to see the Cabs Alumni at shows for nostalgia's sake. It's great that you can go to a show and see their style of show along with the current corps. I really miss Larry H's show at Hershey where you could really see just about EVERYTHING that drum corps has to offer...Top DCI, DCA, Alumni and usually the USMC D& B Corps. Someone has to get that show going again!

It's all drum corps and it's all good!

that show will never happen again given Hershey's attitude and approach...if a bigger act comes in they can make more money off of, forget it, they're toast. Hell, they just did it to a high school marching band competition because they wanted Nickleback instead

I seen Empire Live! LOL, Tom! And.. why should we free you!??? Are you Mostly Harmless or is there something you're not telling us!????? :tongue:

he's not harmless. but he still has the best line I have ever heard, while watching the Bridgemen several years ago in Rachacha

that show will never happen again given Hershey's attitude and approach...if a bigger act comes in they can make more money off of, forget it, they're toast. Hell, they just did it to a high school marching band competition because they wanted Nickleback instead

Wonder if Big 33 football game has ever gotten HERCO to ever sign a contract with them. One of the biggest bits of positive publicity of the year and a packed house and Mickey Shuler couldn't get a #### thing signed. IIRC, that crap hit the fan year or so after the DCA/DCI show fiasco. Big 33 talked about moving but then things settled down (for a bit).