An interesting Lewisburg review

So I was recently at the Lewisburg show and I decided to bring along a relative of mine to show them what this activity was that I enjoyed so much.

This person has seen another drum corps show that I took them to a few years ago, but is definitely not a drum corps expert. Outside of marching band halftimes this person rarely sees the marching arts, but is a big supporter of music in general. I did my best to explain the basics of the drum corps medium to them. So I would say that this review is from the eyes and ears of a general person who doesn't know the sheets, but does know what entertains them. I thought it was interesting enough to include here. This is my paraphrasing of what our conversation was after the show had concluded. Again this is not my review but rather that of someone else to give an outsiders perspective.

Bushwackers - They are small, but I can see what they are doing. I think their show would sound better if they had more people. They have a very interesting show and I get the concept.

Hurricanes - Deep sound with some interesting music. Very colorful presentation. Interesting idea for a show although a little harder to follow and it doesn't flow like some of the other shows. Not the best "high points" as compared to the other corps.

Empire Statesmen - Oh my goodness! Loved the entertainment value. The story was awesome to follow which made the show much more enjoyable. Familiar music with a lot of big impact and wow moments. Colors were very nice although the "flags" (color guard) could have been better. Very fun to watch.

Buccaneers - A very nice program, however noticed a few drops from the "flags" (color guard) that took away from some of the high moments. Good sound overall and the marching was very good. Show flowed fairly well but didn't tell as good of a "story" as Empire.

Caballeros - Loved the mask ideas and the color change in the "flags" at the end. Interesting concept of a show, using different masks throughout the show and different sounds and tempos throughout. Marching wasn't as good as some of the others. Extremely big sound and beautiful solo.

Their prediction of the outcome

1. Empire

2. Cabs

3. Bucs

4. Hurcs

5. Bush

Again leave the flames at home, these are not my thoughts but I thought it was interesting to see what the "general public" would think about the shows this year. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was recently at the Lewisburg show and I decided to bring along a relative of mine to show them what this activity was that I enjoyed so much.

This person has seen another drum corps show that I took them to a few years ago, but is definitely not a drum corps expert. Outside of marching band halftimes this person rarely sees the marching arts, but is a big supporter of music in general. I did my best to explain the basics of the drum corps medium to them. So I would say that this review is from the eyes and ears of a general person who doesn't know the sheets, but does know what entertains them. I thought it was interesting enough to include here. This is my paraphrasing of what our conversation was after the show had concluded. Again this is not my review but rather that of someone else to give an outsiders perspective.

Bushwackers - They are small, but I can see what they are doing. I think their show would sound better if they had more people. They have a very interesting show and I get the concept.

Hurricanes - Deep sound with some interesting music. Very colorful presentation. Interesting idea for a show although a little harder to follow and it doesn't flow like some of the other shows. Not the best "high points" as compared to the other corps.

Empire Statesmen - Oh my goodness! Loved the entertainment value. The story was awesome to follow which made the show much more enjoyable. Familiar music with a lot of big impact and wow moments. Colors were very nice although the "flags" (color guard) could have been better. Very fun to watch.

Buccaneers - A very nice program, however noticed a few drops from the "flags" (color guard) that took away from some of the high moments. Good sound overall and the marching was very good. Show flowed fairly well but didn't tell as good of a "story" as Empire.

Caballeros - Loved the mask ideas and the color change in the "flags" at the end. Interesting concept of a show, using different masks throughout the show and different sounds and tempos throughout. Marching wasn't as good as some of the others. Extremely big sound and beautiful solo.

Their prediction of the outcome

1. Empire

2. Cabs

3. Bucs

4. Hurcs

5. Bush

Again leave the flames at home, these are not my thoughts but I thought it was interesting to see what the "general public" would think about the shows this year. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

Just send us your "friends" address so we can send the flames directly to his house!! BTW, did your friend actually say "Oh my goodness!"?

Good Ol' VOReason sniffing up an arguement.

Thanks for the review, The Nose. I appreciate it!

Just send us your "friends" address so we can send the flames directly to his house!! BTW, did your friend actually say "Oh my goodness!"?

My RELATIVE actually did say that. I'm also sure SHE would tell you "If you don't have anything to say, why waste our air?" Did you actually go to this show or are you just trolling as usual?

My RELATIVE actually did say that. I'm also sure SHE would tell you "If you don't have anything to say, why waste our air?" Did you actually go to this show or are you just trolling as usual?

Seriously...I was just joking around! I would NEVER send flames to anyone's house for posting an honest review. The "my goodness" part just struck me as kinda' funny...in an Andy Griffith show sorta way. Hope you and your family enjoyed the show and hope that your relative will want to come back and see more.

For the record, I actually use the phrase "Oh dear..." in conversation.

Mike

well you're just odd :laughing:

Great review. It's the GP who will keep this thing going. The Drum Corps people will snark at each other until the cows come home. Killing it from the inside..... :(

Great review. It's the GP who will keep this thing going. The Drum Corps people will snark at each other until the cows come home. Killing it from the inside..... :(

Great Point!!! It would be interesting to find out how many members of the GENERAL PUBLIC paid to watch the show in Lewisburg versus the number of DRUM CORPS PEOPLE who paid to get into that show.

If it were to be left only to the latter group, there wouldn't be a show there next year. Nor would there be one in Kingston, or Jamestown, or.... or.... or....

If we forget about the great unwashed masses who BUY the tickets, I'm afraid our activity is in deep trouble.