Federal Judge says Cheerleading Not a Sport

Is exercising a sport? NO. Just because it involves athleticism or being in condition, or what have you does not make it a sport.

I think too many are getting hung up on the athletics aspect of this. In the definiton of performing arts, do you see anywhere where it considers athelticism as a criteria for determing if it is a performing art? NO. Yet, do some performing arts require conditioning and some atheliticism? Yes.

Exercising is not competitive.

From thefreedictionary.com

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

It is a performing art AND a sport. That is why i say having to have it in one neat little label doesnt make sense.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DC is not a sport! It is a performance arts activity that requires a high level of athleticism, much like dance. Those of you who made the snarky comments about a federal judge getting involved should take the time to read the story. A university tried to eliminate its volleyball team and replace it with competitive cheer. The volleyball team sued, thus the ruling. Competitive cheerleading failed to qualify as a sport mainly because the two national organizations that control the activity are owned by a company that sells cheerleading supplies and conducts camps.

Competitive cheerleading has very little to do with cheer. Synchronized gymnastics is a more descriptive title. Whatever it’s called you must admit it is certainly marketed a lot better than DC. Competitions broadcast on ESPN and other cable outlets, multiple movies and now a reality show. I have a feeling those of you insist that DC is a sport are former band geeks with low self esteem because you were picked on by the jocks. Get over it!

Cheerleading not a sport?

Don't tell HER that:

sue-sylvester.jpg

:laughing:

Actually, if it's not a sport, does that mean we can finally get it the #### off of ESPN?

Cheerleading not a sport?

Don't tell HER that:

sue-sylvester.jpg

:laughing:

Actually, if it's not a sport, does that mean we can finally get it the #### off of ESPN?

Of course not. It's young girls in short skirts with tight sweaters on jumping and splitting and bouncing all over the place. They are the "Athletic Supporters" of sports teams.

Cheerleading being deemed not a sport still does not make it exempt from Title IX.

My university's marching band went coed in the 70s because of Title IX and decided to add a colorguard and kickline to help increase the number of women in the organization.

Title IX isnt about sports, though thats what it's most known for.

If your organization receives money from the government, then it has to allow women (or men) the chance to be a member. That's all it does.

Cheerleading being deemed not a sport still does not make it exempt from Title IX.

My university's marching band went coed in the 70s because of Title IX and decided to add a colorguard and kickline to help increase the number of women in the organization.

Title IX isnt about sports, though thats what it's most known for.

If your organization receives money from the government, then it has to allow women (or men) the chance to be a member. That's all it does.

As far as college sports are concerned though, its gone way beyond its original intent.... equal scholarships doesnt mean you are meeting need equally.

DC is not a sport! It is a performance arts activity that requires a high level of athleticism, much like dance. Those of you who made the snarky comments about a federal judge getting involved should take the time to read the story. A university tried to eliminate its volleyball team and replace it with competitive cheer. The volleyball team sued, thus the ruling. Competitive cheerleading failed to qualify as a sport mainly because the two national organizations that control the activity are owned by a company that sells cheerleading supplies and conducts camps.

Competitive cheerleading has very little to do with cheer. Synchronized gymnastics is a more descriptive title. Whatever it’s called you must admit it is certainly marketed a lot better than DC. Competitions broadcast on ESPN and other cable outlets, multiple movies and now a reality show. I have a feeling those of you insist that DC is a sport are former band geeks with low self esteem because you were picked on by the jocks. Get over it!

I agree 100%. In fact, I was about to post a responce to this thread and you took the words right out of my mouth!