Showdown in SA-Town

Again, being at the 2008 Finals night, nobody was cheering because BD lost. BD got a standing O and a huge reaction that night. The crowd was cheering because Phantom had them in the palms of their hands. Both corps were heavily appreciated that night.

I disagree. I was there in 2008 and have been in the stadium on finals night all but three of nearly 30 years. I dont doubt that you and many people were clapping for PR. A critical mass, though, were also cheering that BD did not win.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like the therapy cabal that come on DCP each year to start something (anything really) against BD...If you watch, you'll see the same screen names over and over again! :tongue:

Lemme help you out here. Cabal is singular. It would be "cabal that comes...". To test the noun-verb agreement in this case, you can substitute a singular noun more familiar to you, like group. Would you say "group that come?". Of course not. You're a smart kid, and you know better.

You're welcome!

Maybe you were just in a very negative part of the stadium, but I was surrounded by fans of good drum corps instead of bitter curmudgeons, and there was no amount of negativity towards either corps that night.

Maybe your portion of the stadium was a more representative sample, but my assumption is that your view of the crowd may be crowded by your view of the corps.

Lemme help you out here. Cabal is singular. It would be "cabal that comes...". To test the noun-verb agreement in this case, you can substitute a singular noun more familiar to you, like group. Would you say "group that come?". Of course not. You're a smart kid, and you know better.

You're welcome!

Ah yes, the proverbial grammar and syntax correction. Always the big debate scorer...gotta do better than that KathyG!

Next time...just say "Oh yeah, says you!"

You're welcome!

Maybe you were just in a very negative part of the stadium, but I was surrounded by fans of good drum corps instead of bitter curmudgeons, and there was no amount of negativity towards either corps that night.

Maybe your portion of the stadium was a more representative sample, but my assumption is that your view of the crowd may be crowded by your view of the corps.

Until we poll every single person in the crowd, we will never know the crowd's true intentions.

SO!

Back on topic, San Antonio, what a great city!

You're welcome!

...oh, you've got my presidential vote, Kathy! :tongue: Now, how 'bout teaching the young and dumb :tongue:

...the difference between "yea" and "yeah"!

cg

...oh, you've got my presidential vote, Kathy! :tongue: Now, how 'bout teaching the young and dumb :tongue:

cg

Yea is an youth education organization based in Allentown, PA.

Yeah is a slang term for yes.

How did I do, Chas?

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

cg

Substance, try for some substance. I know there may not be much in the old quiver, but give a shot.

Let me start you out: The competition tonight in San Antonio will....

I do not think SPIRIT ever won best guard and as far as 89 Guard did not receive a separate score.

Regardless, top guards were recognized with a caption award, and Spirit did indeed win best guard in 1985 and 1987 (and were second behind BD in 1986).

Also, the guard being awarded a separate score was a bit hit-or-miss as the scoring system changed over the years. But I clearly recall receiving a guard score of 1.7 in 1978 (I wrote it down as 17 because that's how we all thought of it, that the guard could receive a maximum of 20 points, but in reality it was 2.0 points):

1978oaklandrecap.jpg

Oakland 1977 high drums in prelims. 13th place missed finals

Oakland did indeed have the high drum score in prelims (which was not surpassed by BD in finals), but the corps placed 15th in prelims.

I disagree. I was there in 2008 and have been in the stadium on finals night all but three of nearly 30 years. I dont doubt that you and many people were clapping for PR. A critical mass, though, were also cheering that BD did not win.

I've also been to quite a few finals. In fairness, there's always a certain amount of this. In 1993, if you were a Cadets fan, you went nuts when you heard "In second place, Star of Indiana" because it meant that your guys won. I was there, and I'd wager that most Cadets fans did not hate Star. Nevertheless, they were happy that the Cadets won and they showed it.

I didn't really see anything different in 2008. Lots and lots of people were rooting for Phantom because they loved the show. That's why everyone was yelling "I am Spartacus!" before 2nd place was announced. So pandemonium erupted when they finally caught BD. I was on the 50 in FoDCI-land, and I didn't really hear any negativity towards BD. But easily upwards of 90% of the crowd around me was rooting for Phantom, and they definitely showed it when BD's score was announced.