1995 all over Again

Man, we need to have more faith in the show designers. Corps peaking and reaching their end 3 weeks before finals? In my opinion, the Cadets have just as much room for improvement as the Cavaliers, who have as much room as BD.

Bluecoats, too.

I disagree. It us clear to me why some corps continue to improve at a steady rate and others just get bogged down, and that is because of design. There are still a few weeks left and we will see how it all turns out, but I think the corps with the most room for growth still are BD and cavaliers. Of those two, I think cavaliers have the most left to go because BD is cleaner right now. I have not seen either of their new endings, so a lot of things will probably come down to who does the best job with the end of their shows.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. It us clear to me why some corps continue to improve at a steady rate and others just get bogged down, and that is because of design. There are still a few weeks left and we will see how it all turns out, but I think the corps with the most room for growth still are BD and cavaliers. Of those two, I think cavaliers have the most left to go because BD is cleaner right now. I have not seen either of their new endings, so a lot of things will probably come down to who does the best job with the end of their shows.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Just throwing this out there, and I'm not hating on BD, but how crazy would it be if we had an 08 style Finals Night, except BD drops from 1st to 5th?!

Was it 83 that SCV won Semis and came in 3rd on finals night?

Just throwing this out there, and I'm not hating on BD, but how crazy would it be if we had an 08 style Finals Night, except BD drops from 1st to 5th?!

Was it 83 that SCV won Semis and came in 3rd on finals night?

I can't see that happening at all. 2008 happened because one caption judge changed their order - that was the difference. Otherwise, historically on average the 1st place corps from semis score goes up in Finals, while everyone else's goes down.

Mike

Man, we need to have more faith in the show designers. Corps peaking and reaching their end 3 weeks before finals? In my opinion, the Cadets have just as much room for improvement as the Cavaliers, who have as much room as BD.

Bluecoats, too.

I agree. It seems like people are trying to do to The Cadets what they did to The Cavaliers early in the season. And we should know better. Especially with The Cadets.

I agree. It seems like people are trying to do to The Cadets what they did to The Cavaliers early in the season. And we should know better. Especially with The Cadets.

Agreed. I'm happy to see Rosemont continue to improve, but think it would be a mistake for anyone to write off Cadets at this point. Three weeks out of an eight week season is next thing to a drum corps eternity.

From a scoring/placement perspective, it looks eerily similar to 1995. If you recall BD came off an undefeated season in 94 and undefeated in 95 until the Cavies knocked them off at the quarterfinals. Cavies show is coming together and from Tweets from Mac, still more changes to come. BD peaking right now. Like in 95, BD's show wasn't a fan favorite. Looks like it may happen again. Your thoughts. Do you think it can happen again?

Yes, I do think it is possible now. DCI has invested considerable resources in the State of Texas the last 2 years trying to develop even stronger outreach with the band directors in the state. The TOP ACT of DCI went into the Lone Star State with a good lead over the DCI pack. After they finished, BD got a lukewarm response at best from the band community there. Lo and behold, within less than 48 hours, the Cavaliers, well received for their performances in the shows in Texas, jumped up in scores. Coincidence ? possibly. But in any event, the Cavaliers show was loved by the Texas band community ( at least compared to BD ) . The Cavaliers, one of the Texas band community's favorites in the all important state of Texas to DCI, HAS to now be considered a legitimate and serious contender to overtake the Blue Devils when all is said and done, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

This is true... The Cavaliers however, is really starting to come together, I am not ruling out any possibility.

Neither am I!

Blue Devils "C" body slams their "big brother" FTW! :thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken, they're the only corps to go undefeated in their entire history :tongue:

There is a big difference between the two though. The Cavaliers were rough in the beginning of the season because their show was so difficult and they were so dirty. Conversely, the cadets were performing at a very high. The problem is the show itself has reached it's peak IMO. People will disagree with me, which is fine, but I said back at the first week of the season that cadets were going to run out of show and cavaliers would catch them and crown late in the year because they had so much room to grow. People slammed me then and told me I was nuts, but i am going to stand behind what I said before.

On a related note - the cadets were never to be counted out before because they were the innovators in the activity who would work their tales off the last few weeks to clean the snot out of the show. They came out of nowhere in the end because they had the best show that went from dirty to clean at the very end. The difference now is they don't have the best / most innovative show and they are already pretty darn clean. So, that is why I feel the way I do.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the cadets. Easily one of my favorite groups every year. I just think they could have done better with the design of their show this year and I think that is what is costing them right now

Yes, I do think it is possible now. DCI has invested considerable resources in the State of Texas the last 2 years trying to develop even stronger outreach with the band directors in the state. The TOP ACT of DCI went into the Lone Star State with a good lead over the DCI pack. After they finished, BD got a lukewarm response at best from the band community there. Lo and behold, within less than 48 hours, the Cavaliers, well received for their performances in the shows in Texas, jumped up in scores. Coincidence ? possibly. But in any event, the Cavaliers show was loved by the Texas band community ( at least compared to BD ) . The Cavaliers, one of the Texas band community's favorites in the all important state of Texas to DCI, HAS to now be considered a legitimate and serious contender to overtake the Blue Devils when all is said and done, imo.

Just curious . . . Have(n't) the Cavaliers always been well-received, and BD often comparatively less so, at major events in TX?

On another topic: hopeful speculation aside, who do we KNOW is getting a new ending?