Scouts design in the future . . .

The Scouts have never had a hornline where you could hear tubas.

Well I wouldn't go that far. I can think of several Scouts' hornlines

where I can clearly hear the Contras...especially in the 70s and up

to around the mid-80s. But, even if that were true, is it a bad thing

that they can be heard now?

As far as the brand...it sure feels like the classic (but updated) Madison brand to me.

That vibe that first drew me in 28 years ago is definitley there....maybe the volume

isn't yet, but it will be eventually...actually I heard Allentown is when they will

really crank it.

The part of your post that I really don't understand though, is where you say you

can no longer support the new image or staff. What's that all about?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure he was talking about SCV when he said that.

...which is odd considering how musically-driven their shows have gotten the past 2 years. But we digress, this is a Scouts' thread.

--

Just hoping the volume gets turned up eventually. I like the balance and all the nice scores, don't get me wrong... but I feel like I'm watching the recent Cavaliers' hornlines early in the season playing Rhapsody in Blue...which is an odd image lol.

At some point they need to address the volume issue because Madison Horns == Power. I'm not saying they should go back to park and blow or give up balance and sound quality. But other lines are putting out more sound with equal or better quality and Madison needs to match that.

They might have to make a hard choice because they are a Yamaha dealer, and, imo, Yamaha horns do not have the best amplification or projection. To my ear, the lines that are playing on Kings (Boston, Blue Stars, BD) have a livelier and more energetic sound. The Yamaha sound is just a little too soft around the edges. It's a nice, dark sound, but it just doesn't project as well.

They might have to make a hard choice because they are a Yamaha dealer, and, imo, Yamaha horns do not have the best amplification or projection. To my ear, the lines that are playing on Kings (Boston, Blue Stars, BD) have a livelier and more energetic sound. The Yamaha sound is just a little too soft around the edges. It's a nice, dark sound, but it just doesn't project as well.

Have you heard Bluecoats? No problem with volume or projection there, but it would be interesting to hear if there was a big difference if they played a show on Kings.

Since 2004 I've been wishing that the Scouts would switch to King horns.

They would sound unbelievable and ungodly on them!

Have you heard Bluecoats? No problem with volume or projection there, but it would be interesting to hear if there was a big difference if they played a show on Kings.

Nor with Crown and as much as I admire the lushness and fullness of Crown and Coats, I think Boston, in particular, sounds more "live" and energetic. More "in your face." Maybe a bit too edgy for today's brass sophisto's, but that's the sound I like.

Since 2004 I've been wishing that the Scouts would switch to King horns.

They would sound unbelievable and ungodly on them!

Better yet...what about a full line of 3-valved Kanstul Gs? :blink:

We played Dynastys in 2005 and I really liked them.

The reason Yamaha lines are so desirable is the Xeno trumpets and very sedate mello sounds.

If anyone went with the best horns available they'd have (IMHO):

Yamaha trumpets

Kanstul Mellos

Yamaha or Dynasty Baris

King Euphs

...I'm at an impass for tubas as the Yamaha tuba has such a pure sound, but both the King and Dynasty tubas are tanks...

Better yet...what about a full line of 3-valved Kanstul Gs? :tongue:

Change that to DEG G's and I'm with ya 100%!! :smile: