Scouts design in the future . . .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well going back to the question of the OP on what kind of show can we expect next year....

I remember back in December there was a video interview with Jim Mason and he said

that one thing he wanted to do in the coming years was reach into 3 veins that have historically

worked well for the Scouts - Broadway, Classical, and Jazz. 2010 touches a little on

all 3 of those, so I imagine next year will too. Before they settled on this years' show, I heard that

the staff had other ideas in November that would have tapped more into the classical vein. Maybe

they will go back to those ideas for 2011. If they do, it will be another crowd pleaser of a show.

It will still have that revived Scout brand for sure, but with more new material that the Scouts

haven't done before. Oh, and a ballad that is designed to get a big standing ovation from the crowd!

Edited by madalumni

I would like to hear more about this Zingali movie and Mason is doing????

Alden

Good lord....who would you cast to play the role??

For that matter, who would play the other corps-related roles?

*this'll be fun*

No, I absolutely agree with that assessment.

However, my question is . . .what can we expect to see in 2011 (and beyond) if we look at 2010 as a springboard for the Madison Scouts brand?

Is 2011 more of a "slow and steady" improvement year, designed to play to the past successes of the corps? Or do we see something completely fresh, a sort of all-in towards pushing the Scouts to the next level competitively?

Star never had a set identity. Madison does. And I think that in this case, while design may become more ambitious, I do see these guys being the ones to push boundaries yet keep "the brand" evident in future productions

I would like to hear more about this Zingali movie and Mason is doing????

Alden

QUOTE (rmurrey74 @ Jul 28 2010, 08:03 AM)

From what I've heard, Mason and his team were only planning on being on board for 2010 and 2011. This involves the movie that Mason is working on about Zingali. Should be interesting to see what happens in the future for the Scouts.

This is news to me. I have spoken with Jim Mason at length, many times , and know nothing of this.

Bill

I agree with you. This team knows the formula to win. They took Star from nothing to a world champion in a matter of 8 years. That's impressive. Will they duplicate that at Madison? Who knows, but I believe they know what they are doing. I expect they will take what they learned from their experience at Star and apply it here, without changing the identity of the Scouts.

Exactly. You need a strategy for competitive growth over time in DCI. Making finals is step 1. The next jump up is to get into the 7-8-9 group and I'm sure they will pick a similarly audience-pleasing show next year with a stronger visual program and an overall higher level of demand.

You just need to look at Crown to see the rough timeline to build a corps up from a finalist to the top ranks. I'm quite confident that the ex-Star guys know that they need to take each step as it comes - asking 7th place talent to perform a championship-level show design has not historically been a recipe for success in DCI.

Madison is here not only to entertain and bring the crowd to it's feet, but they are here to win and win sooner rather than later. I think it is silly to suggest that their goal for next year is to only finish as high as 7-8-9th place. All these assumptions are entertaining to read. The season still has 2 1/2 weeks to go and many have already assumed or pigeonholed the Scouts in that 10-12th slot at Finals.

On Mason's FB page a couple days ago, he texted that changes have been ready to go since April. He called these changes "2nd season changes." Let's sit back an enjoy the rest of this summer. The next group of corps is only 2-3 points ahead of them. Who's to say they won't finish 7-8-9th or even higher...this season?