The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

Many film scores do not really stand alone when you just play the music.

You are correct...but the great music scores DO stand alone.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. And I'm glad that the people who complain most about DCP can be counted on to jump on a person who gives a valid opinion. Before you call me troll, read my posts. I'm pretty sure I've had many more positive comments than you during my time here.

You came to a internet message board where members are getting excited for Championships this very weekend - those that are going and those that wish they could be there - and you brag about not seeing a DCI show since 2007. Yes, that behavior sounds trollish to me.

So a return to the 70's is what you all want?

I remember the Classic Countdown and all the young (at age) people in the theater pointing and laughing at the screen. The innovative body movements that consisted of... Bob your horn up an down, you squat while I stand or the classic... lean back and move your bugle from side to side. Intonation that makes your hair stand on in. Balance... what balance? 8 corps playing the same pop song (diversity at its finest).

Hey, you had screamers though... give you that one.

/sarcasm

Now I honestly appreciate old school corps but like all form of music and ensembles...Things change. People whine about radio because music isn't what it was. My dad is a studio musician and plug in your lines about drum corps to his lines about country music... There is no emotion, there is no real musicianship, this ain't country music and if he played Bluegrass, he ##### about electronics too.

Well I'm sure Bach would consider Stravinsky pure poo poo. I'm sure the majority of 75 Kilties consider 09 Blue Devils garbage and I'm 100% that most young people marching today consider your decade a bunch of easy stuff a bad high school band does... and a bad one at that.

You know what... move on and leave. You have outgrown the music of your youth. I'm sure I will hit it someday but not anytime soon.

some customers find today's shows to be very entertaining indeed.

Yeah, like high school and college marching band geeks, recent Corps age outs, friends and relatives of current Corps members and a few scattered "Sunshine Pumping" Michael Boo types. Incredibly small demographic that shrinks every year.........

Wow. And I'm glad that the people who complain most about DCP can be counted on to jump on a person who gives a valid opinion. Before you call me troll, read my posts. I'm pretty sure I've had many more positive comments than you during my time here.

Thought you were on your way back out? Waiting to get in more trolling, huh?

** yep: I'm the pot calling the kettle black on this one, I know; this garbage gets old and I HATE that DCP has derogated into the constant ramblings of people who waste time in a forum dedicated to Modern Drum Corps by complaining about Modern Drum Corps. The tenor of your previous post, ravedodger, was textbook trolling: bragging about your lack of interest modern drum corps as well as bragging about leaving drum corps to pursue more valid hobbies.

You make some excellent points however, I feel most "old pharts" really miss the personality of different corps.

As far as diversity goes how about shows in 75 ? Madison, SCV, Troopers, 27th ?

What about 1980 ? SCV, Bridgemen, Spirit, and BD, are these not diverse ?

What about 1990 ? CAdets, Dutch Boy, BD, and SCV ?

I see each of these shows as being very different yet entertaining not just to the musically educated but to the average Joe who walked in off the street and I think for the most part, people not involved in the activity could easily see the difference in each corps.

Forget about top 12 for a second and think back to some of those "moments". Florida Wave - Fool on the Hill, Wave, the sail flags. Comodores and Mariners with the sea going themes. Muchachoes, All very different. Today it "seems" as if the difference between corps rests upon what gimmicks and props are used on the field.

I would just like to see drum corps appeal to MORE people rather than what seems to be a select few.

I hope that the pendulum finally does swing back to a more general appeal before it seperates from the clock and gets embedded in the wall.

im from THAT era but I still dont get why people think corps have to keep the same ole same ole in 2010 Yeah I remember it fondly sure It would bring back a good memory or 2 but how boreing

( IMO ) with whats being done today I wish I were able to do suck a creative product. GEZZZ I look back at some videos....( early video..lol..) and say GEZZ what did we even sweat about , we hardly moved?

Is it to keep in tradition? ok maybe keep tradition but dont let it hold you back and sometimes it can do that. JMO..ughhhhh

Thanks for stopping in for the occasional trolling! Not to sound like a jerk, but if this is indicative of your DCP contribution (the pop in sniping with zero pertinent content), I'm elated that you've found a new hobby :thumbup:

and how many more like him can we afford to lose?

So I pop on for the first time in a while to see how the world of drum corps is doing. Looks like the same arguments.

Another dissatisfied customer gets flamed for giving an opinion.

OK.

I'm off to participate in the hobby that replaced drum corps for me.

Oops. I almost forgot to add that I still haven't been to a DCI show since 07 finals.

is your new hobby posting on DCP?

Umm... both are worth 50 - 50 the last time I checked Jeff.

Real answer: people aren't educated in visual like music.

the numbers on the paper are 50-50. listen to the commentary on the tapes. music judges MUST give credit for the physical demands, and to a point I agree. However you NEVER hear a visual judge saying ';well, the kid was playing a lot of notes, I can see why he had issues making the set".

in theory it's 50/50, in reality, it's more 65/35 in terms of emphasis