The World Series of Drum Corps

Can you say bad timing boys and girls? I knew you could.

What's especially aggrevating is the timing. The G7 knows that directors (and DCI BOD members) are focusing on the next 3 days. They're put in defensive mode when they're trying to make the last 5 days of the season.

Insensitive.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's especially aggrevating is the timing. The G7 knows that directors (and DCI BOD members) are focusing on the next 3 days. They're put in defensive mode when they're trying to make the last 5 days of the season.

Insensitive.

Yeah Hell I was thinking about the fans buzz about it and totally forgot about the mind games this might play with the members and staff. And that's gonna be one freaky Olympic Retreat Sat night......

Fogetaboudit. It's not going to happen. The G7 are NOT going to compete, or exhibit, with DCI in any show, anywhere, any time.

If you were a non-G7 director would you want to share the field with the G7 primadonas?

IMO of course they would.. Do you actually believe among directors this is someithing new in the way of the attitude of some directors? Do you actually think they havent witnessed this before. This is nothing new to most who have been in the inner circle. YEs maybe not publically with this proposal but they have seen it for many many years way back to 72. And yes many still supported them.

Maybe youre right BUT you can reast assure that part of this was discussed by the 7 and a solution decided. WGI tries this all the time although in that case I think its time WGI guards and percussion stand up to them and say You know this is my guard or drum line. You are making a bundle off me , dont tell me I cant use my own produts to do what I want when I want.

MAybe thats part of this whole thing. Taking charge of your own destiny and controlling what is yours.

Thing is, the guards in WGI, just like the corps in DCI, decided that it would be more efficient and cost effective to give their media rights to their circuits, allowing these circuits to produce DVDs, CDs, while giving a certain share of the proceeds back to their members. Many sports leagues do this as well. The NFL, I believe, controls virtually all of the marketing and merchandising rights of its teams . . . right down to the team names and logos. There is some complaining about this, and the occasional lawsuit, but the teams go along with it because they know it saves them a bundle of money and a lot of trouble to boot.

Now, if the G7 wants to leave DCI, great. But don't expect DCI to give up what it is legally entitled to without a fight.

And from what I understand, G7 will simply perform at these already DCI events...and I suppose get paid what a normal DCI corps would get paid...

my concern...as others have mentioned...is slotting... when G7 and non-G7 compete at the same show...and the slotting could go either way depending on the slate of judges...could these really be fairly judged contests?

No... they would NOT get paid what a normal DCI corps would get paid. The whole idea behind setting up different shows where only they preform at is so they get to run away with the entire profits of the show and not share it with DCI or any other non g7 corps.

Edited by brians

Thing is, the guards in WGI, just like the corps in DCI, decided that it would be more efficient and cost effective to give their media rights to their circuits, allowing these circuits to produce DVDs, CDs, while giving a certain share of the proceeds back to their members. Many sports leagues do this as well. The NFL, I believe, controls virtually all of the marketing and merchandising rights of its teams . . . right down to the team names and logos. There is some complaining about this, and the occasional lawsuit, but the teams go along with it because they know it saves them a bundle of money and a lot of trouble to boot.

Now, if the G7 wants to leave DCI, great. But don't expect DCI to give up what it is legally entitled to without a fight.

Youre right and many WGI participants are fed up with that process. So maybe it is time for a change..lol

IMO of course they would.. Do you actually believe among directors this is someithing new in the way of the attitude of some directors? Do you actually think they havent witnessed this before. This is nothing new to most who have been in the inner circle. YEs maybe not publically with this proposal but they have seen it for many many years way back to 72. And yes many still supported them.

Do you ask as one from inside the inner circle, or one on the outside looking in (like me)?

While I don't doubt that the primadona directors have made their superiority known in the "inner circle" I don't remember any time in 37 years where they put down on paper (.pdf) their outright claim of superiority. I'm reminded...

"It's amazing what can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the credit."

Had the G7 kept this in mind their primadona attitudes would be easier to accept as they pound their chests.

Yes, I think the non-G7 directors will cross the field to avoid having to rub shoulders with a G7 director if the G7 follows through on their intent.

And it would take all of my energy to not do the same.

Edit: to remove the "edginess" of my reply. sorry.

Edited by garfield

ell, I dont think it was supposed to get out.

but it did yet again.

someone even asked me why I put it up in my name...my reply:

"what the ####...am I supposed to be afraid they won't sell me tickets anymore? ########, they'll probably flood my email inbox with even more stuff"

Can you say bad timing boys and girls? I knew you could.

Insensitive.

again...this wasn't supposed to get out. I really dont think they wanted anyone to know about it at this time

Yeah Hell I was thinking about the fans buzz about it and totally forgot about the mind games this might play with the members and staff. And that's gonna be one freaky Olympic Retreat Sat night......

honestly...the kids and staff should be left out of it and focus on their jobs this week. i question a director's intelligence if he even brings it up to his troops this week.