BD is staying at a hotel?

This is nothing new, and BD isn't the first corps to use a hotel at championships.

Garry in Vegas

I know we stayed at hotels for VFW Nats in 70 (Miami) and 71 (Dallas). In fact, in 71 we stayed at the same hotel as the Dallas Cowboys did for their summer training back then. It was GREAT being a Cowboy fan and seeing guys like Bob Lilly, Calvin Hill, George Andre', Billy Truax (just acquired from the Rams for the 71 season)...etc. I was in heaven!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CONFIRMATION[

BD World Class is staying in a hotel for finals.

BD Open Class are still on gym floors somewhere near the Stadium.

What's fair and what is not??? Check out BD World Class----it costs mega bucks as soon as you find out you made the audition and your in-----kids and parents are paying out the ying/yang for this small, final touch of luxury.

As a parent of BD Open Class---I know how hard the kids work all year for this. So do all the Corps for that matter.

Good Luck to all----

Housing issues "forced" us into a hotel in Orlando in '96. :tongue: Trust me, cold A/C, beds and a pool were MUCH appreciated in Florida in august!! :thumbup:

I'm sure they're appreciated in Indianapolis THIS August...today's forecasted high for Indy was higher than the forecasted high for Orlando...and the humidity is nearly as bad. All of these corps have been working on their shows for months, I'm sure that although the members appreciate it now that it's more of a distraction that could cause a corps to lose their focus at the most critical of times. Good luck to ALL corps Saturday night and as a fan I am looking forward to one more awesome night of drum corps!

So DCI is paying the bill? I'm OK w/ idea if that is how BD wants to spend their own $$;but IMHO if DCI springs for one corps to billet in a hotel, then it should be offered to all corps.

So if a corps gets screwed out of their housing facility because previous corps burned the school, they should be forced to pay for hotels out of their own pocket?

How about the corps that burned the school pays for their housing instead?

Edited by Gibbles

SW stayed in a hotel in 2003 and 2007. It was more of a pain in the ### logistically than anything else. ...

In 96, Blue Knights had the "pleasure" of both staying at a high school AND having to travel to our rehearsal site. So we got the hassle part of the hotel stay without the added benefits of A/C or a bed. Plus, the school was already in session including morning custodial staff who said morning prayers over the entire school's PA system at some ridiculous time like 6:30 in the morning. Did I mention school was in session? Yeah, we had to move our stuff to the edge of the gym everyday so the P.E. classes could occur while we weren't there, which also meant there really wasn't a way to lock our stuff up, but then again there wasn't much to take back then.

I know a lot of people have said staying at a hotel isn't an advantage, but I would have given a whole lot to be able to stay in a hotel for Finals week any of the five years I marched, and I definitely think it would have been beneficial to the corps regardless of any logistical problems.

So if a corps gets screwed out of their housing facility because previous corps burned the school, they should be forced to pay for hotels out of their own pocket?

How about the corps that burned the school pays for their housing instead?

Or DCI could find another school. If they managed when there were 100+ corps; certainly they can w/ 25...

I know that there are more than 25 schools within a reasonable distance from downtown Indy. And if the city is a 'partner' then perhaps they could help?

Madison stayed at hotels in Orlando 1996-1998. I don't see it as a big deal. Corps pay for ALL housing sites regardless if they are a gym floor or putting 4 to a room at a hotel. Sometimes things just don't work out at a housing site and you stay at a hotel. BUT Man that poor pool water, all those hot sweaty people in those pools. AHHHH

CONFIRMATION[

BD World Class is staying in a hotel for finals.

BD Open Class are still on gym floors somewhere near the Stadium.

What's fair and what is not??? Check out BD World Class----it costs mega bucks as soon as you find out you made the audition and your in-----kids and parents are paying out the ying/yang for this small, final touch of luxury.

As a parent of BD Open Class---I know how hard the kids work all year for this. So do all the Corps for that matter.

Good Luck to all----

Again... just like your other post. They are not staying in a hotel because they want to. Their original site was pulled out from under them days before they were set to move in. There was no time to find another site so they turned to DCI and DCI set them up in a hotel. The Open Class corps is not staying there because they have a housing site.

I'm glad you are a parent of a great organization, but please... please read the rest of the thread first.

Or DCI could find another school. If they managed when there were 100+ corps; certainly they can w/ 25...

I know that there are more than 25 schools within a reasonable distance from downtown Indy. And if the city is a 'partner' then perhaps they could help?

schools are less trusting now and it can take weeks to confirm all the details and get approval. I'm sure they wish it was easy to grab schools.

Edited by littlebirdy