BD is staying at a hotel?

They are at a hotel. Evidently, the last 3 corps to use their housing site left a bad impression. So, the site pulled out. and BD ended up in a hotel with a different practice site. I think that DCI has to pick up the bill on this.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched Scouts we stayed in a hotel for Finals week. Of course, I somehow still ended up sleeping on the floor. The joys of being a rookie. :tongue:

At the motel stay with Pioneer, so did I. Four guys, two beds, I was a rookie. So I still got "floor time".

I know many of you hate to hear stories from us dinosaurs, but back in the day it was normal to stay in hotels for finals. It gave us a chance to get a proper shower, sleep in a bed and get physically prepared for the final performance. Personally I think heavy rehearsals before finals are a huge waste of time. Funny story, in ’71 the Troopers asked if they could park their souvie trailer (it was painted like a covered wagon) at our hotel. We were told that members of Boston had threatened to dress up as Indians and burn it down.

FWIW, the BD iPhone app had their housing listed as Carmel HS when the season started.

Man, some people love to make mountains out of molehills, eh?

SW stayed in a hotel in 2003 and 2007. It was more of a pain in the ### logistically than anything else. In 03, we had to drive 30 mins to a soccer field complex to rehearse. We couldn't leave anything there so that meant packing everything up every time we were going somewhere. As a member and a staff member I would much rather have had one last week on the floor with my family.

He also liked to point out that he remembered all of these things, and continued to say, "Back when it was real drum corps."

Well, it WAS real drum corps then!

It still is, just with more gadgets and doohickeys.

Garry in Vegas

It's interesting to note how this thread has morphed. The OP was openly hostile towards BD, without even thinking there might be a reason for BD to do this.

I have no desire to point my finger directly at any other corps, and wish that had not happened above, but BD was left hanging when the housing arrangements fell through. The hotel was the result of unfortunate circumstances, and is a cost to somewhere in the drum corps activity that would not have happened if not for the event.

All corps must be the most supportive and respectful guests at all times, as other corps may be negatively affected for lapses. This is one such occasion.

I doubt this will mean much for the BD haters though. Flame on DCP.

Jeez! "The OP (that's me!) was openly hostile"? Wow! I'm not sure how I was openly hostile.

I'm not sure which is worse: unfounded BD hatred or the BD community thinking EVERY asked about them is a slam/attack/hatred.

I simply asked if they were staying at a hotel and if provided an unfair advantage. If you think that is openly hostile, I would love to live in your world of sunshine, unicorns, and cotton candy.

At the theater yesterday, when the comment about "getting back to the hotel" was said - EVERYONE around me, including some loyal BD people were surprised and said things such as, "did he just say hotel?" "Whaaat?" and "Must be nice!"

For the record, I respect BD and have been a financial supporter for some time. Just because someone questions (and perhaps doesn't agree with - as I feel about this year's show, for example) an organization doesn't mean they are attacking it.

I think all BD people need to take a look in the mirror (pun intended) and calm down. Everyone isn't here to hit you. Unless you have been acting like you are in a mad world (pun intended) and even then, you deserve a 2nd chance (pun intended)

I have felt for a while that we're all going to be sleeping in hotels here at finals before long. The number one thing that always made me nervous about having finals in Indianapolis for so long is not that the same city gets boring, or that the dome is noisy, or whatever the grumpy people complain about. I just think we're going to wear out our welcome with the local schools long before the next seven years of championships are over and done with.

Hmmmmm ... I recall some wild nights with 27th and SCV at the hotel in 74(?). In fact, most of SCV's drum line and the drum major streaked the hotel hallways in nothing but aussies, gauntlets, gloves and shoes.

We looked forward to staying in hotels for champs. Just sayin' :tongue:

You left out Cavaliers' performance of the Bottle Dance in the hallway.

:thumbup:

Regarding hotels, VK never took advantage of this, AFAIK, but I sure remember staying in the dorms at Meredith College in Raleigh/Durham in 1979. Two people per room and four per shower. (Each room shared a bathroom with one other.)

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor