DCI story on CNN.com

You don't need busses with satellite tv and wi-fi on them (although from what I understand it is a good deal).

A minor correction....the vast majority of corps charter their busses, so they hire what's available, and the amenities you listed are becoming standard.

I think only SCV still has it's own bus fleet.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty interesting that this is what gets us in the public eye . . .thanks for the DCP shoutout, CNN . . .

I guess people love drama. :lookaround:

It'll be neat to see if this garners any commentary from people outside of our little world, and how they might perceive what's going on in the activity.

Probably just a bunch of watchers and non-participators. Oh I forgot we already have that here. :laughing:

We could let the woodwinds in, but switch back to G bugles so we don't have to hear them.

FTW :lookaround:

The guys that are whining about " survival " are the very same movers and shakers that have put the activity on life support as it is, with all the bad moves they made.

They're the ones to blame for the lack of fan growth, corps growth, financial growth, etc.

It's like a farmer going out to the chicken coop in the morning where there's a fox that got into the chicken coop overnight. There's no chickens there now. Just the fox with bloody chicken feathers around it's mouth, ears, eyes, etc and that blameless, pleaful look from the fox that seems to say " hey,.. where the hell did all the chickens go ? We need to do something better in here ".

Ya, right.

Yep! All these glorious changes over the years have done absolutely nothing to grow this activity! All they have done is ALIENATE the fan base to the nth degree and this is the BOILING point.

I also think all those old farts are just bored and want to create all this havoc to have something NEW to to get excited about just for the sake of change itself. It is time for all the old farts to RETIRE to their rest homes in Florida! :lookaround:

Hey people come on let the G-7 go we all need a great big breath of fresh air ! Yes it will be sad to not see the top 7 corps

corps but I really think that Hopkins and the other directors are trying to call Dan's bluff . I truly believe that if this does

happen Hopkins and the others will be shooting themselves in the perverbile foot , the G-7 stand to lose a TON of money

and the instructor's will be headed for the lower tier corps , not all of them but enough to build product's the caliber of

the Blue Devil's , Cadet's , Bluecoats , Cavies etc . As far as someone wishing Hoppy dead thats just sad that anyone

would wish that on anyone over something like this . Oh yeah just think we'll have a new top 7 and it will be great !

Bands are bands and drum corps are drumcorps and thats the way it should be .

Sadly, no. Only one of the original buses is still kicking around, and that's been turned into a staff bus. SCV charters buses every summer, and from what I've heard, they are pretty nice. Electrical outlets on the buses now.

So, for all those people who said this isn't George's MO, we all know it is.

Someone explain to me a decision George has made that has improved the activity? And now he wants to add woodwinds? On top of writing horrible narrative copy, George doesn't have a clue about marketing. That's right, take anything unique about an activity and homogenize it praying from customers/fans that will never come all the while alienating your core fan base. :lookaround:

He has no clue period when it comes to marketing. That's why YEA paid over 100k a year for a marketing company IMO. He couldn't get it right himself. :laughing:

A minor correction....the vast majority of corps charter their busses, so they hire what's available, and the amenities you listed are becoming standard.

If things have not changed from last year. The Glassmen still own their buses

Dean

I can probably find you 150 kids in Scouts uniforms who might strongly disagree with this statement.

Though I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scouts this year, they are not doing "1970's drum corps" in 1970 you didn't have a boat load of electronics, 20 contras and low end synth of boot. Also, their drill is quite contemporary. Their color guard doing circus acrobatics and thrilling us all. This is not 1970's drum corps. It looks and sounds like modern day drum corps. We're particularly thrilled because it is a nod to their historic past. But I bet the drum corps newbies that have no idea it's context are also thrilled because it is just a cool show.

There is music from "the day" (whichever day you choose) that has remained popular and still recognizable throughout time. There is FAR MORE music that has fallen into obscurity. Most corps have something notable that they played in the past and have put on the field several times and is the stuff of their respective corps' "glory years." These charts do not actually represent something that could be fielded by any other corps and thrill us the same way.

I'm sure few of us would be that excited if Teal Sound put Rocky Point Holiday on the field. Folks would go nuts to see it back in Cadet's show. I bet there would be a lot of Teal Sound haters if they put "a Cadets chart" on the field, too.

Every corps has their iconic music. In truth those few charts that made their name or were hands-down fan favorites that year represent a very small percent of the literature that corps has played and an even smaller percent of what hit the field during that time frame. This percentage gets smaller the older the time frame we are referencing. I'm sure there is some DCP numbers geek that could make us a spreadsheet (and I do enjoy a spreadsheet!).

Did I mention that I love the Scouts this year? Just makin' that clear. :-D

If things have not changed from last year. The Glassmen still own their buses

Dean

Yes Dean but they charter at least two because the rest of the fleet is in to bad of shape to take a grueling tour ! Smitty