Star of Indiana--how did they do?

It was a night that will live in my heart for the rest of my days. Pride yes ... to be able to attend semi-finals and to watch our sons on the field again ... doing what they love to do ... both on and off the field ... thank you to everyone who worked so hard to pull this incredible experience together.

Tears and goosebumps ...

Marilyn

It was a night that will live in my heart for the rest of my days. Pride yes ... to be able to attend semi-finals and to watch our sons on the field again ... doing what they love to do ... both on and off the field ... thank you to everyone who worked so hard to pull this incredible experience together.

Tears and goosebumps ...

Marilyn

Someone just posted a clip of the 91 show sequence on Facebook....ye GODS what a sound!! Loved the backdrops as well.

there is a rather good alumni corps who just happens to hail from Bayonne, NJ....they do a full field show and I bet would be very well received at DCI Semifinals.....I'm just sayin' :lookaround::laughing:

Saw a video of you guys.

Awesome!!!!!

God love 'em. And I certainly did. But there was NO WAY they were going to march. Not going to happen. They couldn't have done the original shows any justice at all.

And for those who wanted to see the M&M they had videos running on the big screen the whole time. Was kind of cool to watch the video and hear the full force of the music again.

But march a show? This is 25 years later. Let's be real. (NO disrespect intended at all.)

No disrespect taken! I had heard they were just doing a simplified marching show--something to incorporate a few drill moves. But you're right--it was probably a smart move to focus more on the music.

Edited by Sam98

Interesting you make that comparison. Star was ridiculed for their show back then, even booed. Now they're held in deep respect (as they should have, back then).....sound familiar?

It just takes time to appreciate Game Changers.

Plan, I realize this is several pages later in response .. but let me get something out of the way here (since this was an off topic comment)

Star was not Disliked, Hated or Boo'ed to the extent you represent. Not even close. I'm not even going to draw a comparison to 2010 BD because that would only make matters worse.

Star was, is and always will be a universally loved corps. They were controversial in their start with regards to their financing and placement at finals their first year. They were controversial in their end ... the 1993 show and departure to do other things. The years in between ........ not even close to controversial. They were flat out a great corps who was very entertaining and exuded excellence .. they even scared the crap out of people because we knew they were going to be great ... and they came knocking more than once.

Were they boo'ed at times? Yes, mostly early season in 93 when their show made no sense, had the wrong uniforms and needed major overhauling in the design. The end product was loved and worshiped almost instantaneously. During my tenure in DCI as a marching member ... Star was a corps that I always respected, admired and I personally aspired to be a part of before I aged out in 92. Sadly, I did not march my last 2 years.

To answer your final question ........... NO!

It does NOT sound familiar at all.

Star gave me a major flashback last night. While I wish they had marched "a little", I was in no way disappointed with their offering. Superb brass sound, nice drumming and a top notch performance of some extremely difficult music selections. I had it cranked up to 11 and loving every minute of it.

We miss you Star!!!!!!!

My deepest thanks to Bill Cook and his family for all they did to help DCI over the years. Without you sir, there would be no Star or DCI for that matter!!

Hey all--

For those of us who couldn't make the semis in person or subscribe to the live feeds--how did Star do last night? What did they end up playing?

I watched it on the Fan Network, and I thought they sounded incredible. They had that impeccable brass sound that we all expect from a corps carrying the Star brand. I was a bit disappointed, however, that they didn't march. Maybe Cavaliers, and Madison Scouts and other alumni groups "spoiled" us by playing AND marching, but I guess I was just expecting some kind of visual program from a corps who's reputation is equally attributed to visual AND music.

But they did sound great, and it was nice hearing them again!

I think they started to have real issues in 91 after they won and the Dinos became vocal in opposition of Stars notion of a new way to look at drum corps. IMO it isn't the notion that really matters....it's DCI rewarding it. THAT was beyond the patience of the general DC population and the tried and true vets specifically. But Stars show in 93' was so completely off the charts, and that coupled with their surprise departure (leaving the DC stage as quickly as they came) left all puzzled and with mixed emotions. Last night they came full circle.

Star had detractors all along, right from the start and to the bitter end--from the beginning when they "stole everyone else's staff" to the end when they "took their toys and went home", and everything in between.

Of course, they had lots of fans and supporters, as well.

Edited by monoemono