Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

Well same could be said of the opposing side also...Right?

If you dont like the change or new idea...leave!

Imnot advocating for either side at all, although it must seem it . I just cringe at arrogance on either end.

It is funny to me to see the reaction of the g7 supporters getting a taste of their own medicine. Now you know how the other non g7 DCI members have been treated and feeling for years under the thumb of the old board who generally did not take into account the majorty of DCI membership.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a stupid move. Not one of reconciliation, but of defiance. This almost guarantees a nasty split. I only hope when the G7 leaves they take Madison with them (G8). In time the rest will come begging!

I think you'd be surprised on Mason's view of all of this

congrats to Dan. He took over a real mess in 95, and while there's still issues, eh hangs in there and deals with some people that would drive most of us up a wall.

And Al Chez with the Dave Letterman band (Cadets), Chad Sexton with 311 (Railmen, Sky Ryders), and any number of other corps vets who have made a living in music and often credit their corps experiences with helping them do so.

Pete Simpson (Troopers) Blue Man Group

I think you’ve have taken a few too many pucks to the ole noggin. Without the G7 DCI will be nothing. All the sponsors (money), and contest organizers will follow the big boys. Don’t fool yourself, if Madison is invited to join the party, they will. Oh, I’m so tired of the “education” argument! What education? Sure, members learn the value of hard work, dedication and teamwork. You can learn the same lessons playing little league or joining a community theatre. Playing the same charts over and over while running around a football field isn’t going to help you get a seat with the New York Philharmonic.

WELL - perhaps not the New York Philharmonic,, but Christopher Martin (Spirit of Atlanta alum) sits as PRINCIPAL TRUMPET at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra... so maybe the "educational value" is to be found in the NON-G7 corps - and you get prop management, dance, and staging effects with the G7 corps.

Further, just how would this G& team be decided? Because a historical analysis of any length could show several "ins" and "outs" within the Top 7 placement. PLUS, if the current judging slate goes with the G7, I could call that a VERY good thing!

IMHO

Here's a few points I wonder if the G7 has thought about.

First, if they do break off and do their own thing, is it really good for numbers? Let's say some of the smaller corps-who work just as hard-start losing numbers and folding, all of a sudden we have this elitist tour going on with less groups performing. How is that helping? We have less kids able to perform? Destroying things from an educational standpoint.

Second, do these people know anything about woodwinds, since it seems they want to go that way. Do they know how much the instruments cost, especially the ones that sound good. I can't imagine they want the sound quality of platstic clarinets. So they we have to fix them. One show to another and the temperature changes, and the corks and pads start popping. Or worse, in the middle of a show. I mean valves stick, but not nearly as often as WW instrument issues. Plus, are these going to still be powerhouses when they need 20 flutes, just to be audible? Really?

As for the education comments...if you go to most corps sites, they preach that they wants their "students" to learn from their "faculty," well, that's out the window.

I love that our activity is going to be reduced to the age old argument of the cool kids with money v. the jocks v. the emo kids v. whoever.....

Yay for elitism and those who support it!!!

Well, the feedback from this year seems to be that some of the most entertaining shows (from the fan's perspective) were put out by some non G-7 corps (Madison, BK, BAC, Glassmen). Entertaining and accessible shows will put fans in the seats.

The more esoteric the G-7 get with their show concepts, the fewer people there will be that are interested in paying money to see them. Yes they may be very difficult, and are being performed wonderfully, but are they entertaining the masses?

This should be about the fans and what they are willing to pay for.

Well, the feedback from this year seems to be that some of the most entertaining shows (from the fan's perspective) were put out by some non G-7 corps (Madison, BK, BAC, Glassmen). Entertaining and accessible shows will put fans in the seats.

The more esoteric the G-7 get with their show concepts, the fewer people there will be that are interested in paying money to see them. Yes they may be very difficult, and are being performed wonderfully, but are they entertaining the masses?

This should be about the fans and what they are willing to pay for.

EXCELLENT points!! And one which I will back up with a little "old fart" reminescing!!

How many tunes / songs can you remember from the top 7 (since everyone keeps mentioning "G7") in 2010?? (No Googling allowed!!!)

I will rewind 30 yrs back, and I can rattle off one and even more tunes from the top 7 that year. Can also remember visually some of the stuff that happened as well!!

Here we go:

1). Blue Devils: La Suerte de los Tontos; Dindi

2). 27th Lancers: Open Wide; Danny Boy

3). Bridgemen: Thunder & Blazes; In The Stone

4). Spirit of Atlanta: Georgia (on my Mind); Devil Went Down To Georgia (drum solo)

5). Phantom Regiment: Easter Overture; Polivestian Dances

6). Madison Scouts: They're Playing Our Song; Malaguena; Ice Castles

7). Santa Clara: Procession of the Nobles; Stone Ground Seven (drum solo); Evita; 'Jupiter' from Holst's 'The Planets."

I want to bump this while this thread continues to wander away from the OP subject, because I have yet to see any Dan A-bashers step up to my challenges, listed below.

Come on, Dan A. and DCI bashers, put your facts where your mouth is and enlighten me with the prescience of your opinions.

(crickets)

This is all that needs to be said to settle the "issue".

You people who think it's time for Dan to go are nuts. You look at that balance sheet and tell me, in light of the "elite" corps demanding more and more production, then in the next breath demanding more and more MONEY FROM DAN'S BUDGET, and tell me, precisely, where's he's failed DCI, the corps, or us.

Some poster's comparison of a Fortune 500 balance sheet is just ludicrous. I say this BECAUSE I get paid to read and understand balance sheets, and annual reports, and the notes to the annual reports (which I've been asking for since May), and also because I've been involved with symphony balance sheets and I can read the 990s of DCI without the hype fluff (you should, too).

Get off the man's back, really. Not a single one of you here has the information, the history, or the data to come down on Dan A or his staff. I challenge each one of you bashers to prove to me that DCI's budget, balance, production, and methods are inept. I challenge anyone here to convince me that the operations and financial systems of DCI need to be led by another team.

I challenge each of you basher to prove to me your credentialed sufficiently to be so critical.

I challenge each of you bashers to describe the mindset of a BOD that is clearly focused on doing what's best for the entire activity only to rubber-stamp Dan's appointment because they were too stupid to do otherwise.

Your opinion here is fine. I can laugh at it behind my screen. But when you make accusations you ####-well better have some proof. I want to see it. Bring it on.