Attendance guesses anyone?

Attendence was bett than last few years.

thats a BIG stadium to fill. One of its problems.

I would guess

8k-quarters , 10k-semis , 20k- finals = 38 K

where I was there were NO empty seats. people lining the walls.

lucas oil was not AS BOOMY as 2009. and with the extreme heat people were GLAD the roof was closed.

Just too big a venue .

what does it seat concert side ???

what is attendance for BOA ?

The stadium only seats 63,000. You are not going to find much smaller when it comes to NFL or major college stadiums. For comparison:

Madison 80,000

Foxboro 69,000

Rose Bowl 107,000

DCI drew many more fans to the championship show in the 70s and 80s, but there were more corps supplying kids and parents as fans.

The only way to get more people to the show is to reduce ticket prices, period. Keep the 40-40 sections as the higher priced seats and cut the other seat pricing dramatically. My guess is the concert side of the stadium only seats 20,000 or so (between the end lines).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what I was thinking. plus when you look in the boxes, you have a lot of sponsors who don't count as paid attendance and the people they bring in. those are big reveue seats for football.

The stadium only seats 63,000. You are not going to find much smaller when it comes to NFL or major college stadiums. For comparison:

Madison 80,000

Foxboro 69,000

Rose Bowl 107,000

DCI drew many more fans to the championship show in the 70s and 80s, but there were more corps supplying kids and parents as fans.

The only way to get more people to the show is to reduce ticket prices, period. Keep the 40-40 sections as the higher priced seats and cut the other seat pricing dramatically. My guess is the concert side of the stadium only seats 20,000 or so (between the end lines).

Paid attendance on Finals night was a tinge higher than last year, which was approx. 15,500.

If this is true, I don't understand why they don't drop the ticket prices significantly. Surely they'd do better to have bigger crowds at lower ticket prices even if it didn't balance 100% just for the concession and souvie revenue. I wonder if attendance will keep dropping after a few years of the same venue. Doing finals in different regions each year is probably better for picking up fence-sitters and non-fans than sticking to Indy for a decade or whatever.

I would be very surprised if DCI made one cent off of the concession revenue. The stadium has contracts in place with outside people that run the concessions, and a lot of things are also in strict adherance to "other" policies. I found it fascinating that stadium vendors wouldn't keep caps on the bottles, but for sale in the souvie area were "mini color guard flags" and drumsticks; and as the guy next to me pointed out, he could do a lot more damage throwing a full bottle of water or soda than just the cap if he were so inclined.

They keep the coke caps for coke rewards. Its a kick back sorta thing... Image the president of Lucas Oil getting the top coke point thing on the website? A car or something... Didn't even have to lift a finger!

They keep the coke caps for coke rewards. Its a kick back sorta thing... Image the president of Lucas Oil getting the top coke point thing on the website? A car or something... Didn't even have to lift a finger!

I thought they kept them because you can shoot them (pretty darn far...) by twisting the bottles with the caps on... but your point makes some sense as well...

6. The way Lucas Oil Stadium is set up, with layer after layer of overhanging seating - HOW can you see how many people are in the crowd.

Good point. The layout of the seating area does make it tough to get a "read" on attendence. It's not like some stadiums with continous seating in the lower deck, and continous seating in the upper deck.

If this is true, I don't understand why they don't drop the ticket prices significantly. Surely they'd do better to have bigger crowds at lower ticket prices even if it didn't balance 100% just for the concession and souvie revenue. I wonder if attendance will keep dropping after a few years of the same venue. Doing finals in different regions each year is probably better for picking up fence-sitters and non-fans than sticking to Indy for a decade or whatever.

I was thinking the same thing. Will less & less people from the west & east coast attend finals in Indy as time goes on? Probably. Finals may turn into a regional like competition. Drum corps will become less visible in the west & east coasts with no finals event held there.

In my opinion, the drum corp activity must focus on growing the number of people who are interested in attending shows & joining corps, & secure a broadcast contract with a cable network to broadcast finals in its entirety. With the number of cable TV channels today, I would think there would be at least one of them that would be interested. Or, at least make it available on PPV.

I would be very surprised if DCI made one cent off of the concession revenue. The stadium has contracts in place with outside people that run the concessions, and a lot of things are also in strict adherance to "other" policies. I found it fascinating that stadium vendors wouldn't keep caps on the bottles, but for sale in the souvie area were "mini color guard flags" and drumsticks; and as the guy next to me pointed out, he could do a lot more damage throwing a full bottle of water or soda than just the cap if he were so inclined.

I do know for a fact that a lot of concession stands at Indy are worked by Vol. for non profits. When I was doing it we made 10-15%

Dean

My guess is 5k to 10k quarters and semis and 15k to 20k on finals night. I am sure 5k of that was no paying corps members.

5K corps members? There would be no one left to perform! Maybe half of that, including staff.