No Open Class DVD?

I'm glad DCI is offering OC in some sort of media than not offering it at all. I was also wondering about this after looking at the online store.

I will try the digital download as it will be faster than waiting for delivery. It should be more reliable than getting my order screwed up or put at the bottom of the ordering pile (and forgotten).

Maybe they'll include a soundclip of a UPS truck breaking when the download is done.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the licensing for video downloads is similar to physical copies (both require synchronization licensing). But I don't know all the details with regard to video....audio is my area of interest.

DCI does not own the content - the original composers of the music have some rights in that regard. But I think I see your point....if the licensing costs for downloads vs. DVDs are the same, then the question is whether production costs can be brought low enough to make it practical. I'm just not sure about that "if" I underlined back there....

You are right, and i think that you understood what I was trying to communicate. BTW, if DCI offers a high quality video download, I will probably pay for it. On my DSL, it would take about 2 weeks to download a full bluray disk. But if the quality is there, I will back off of my earlier comment about not buying.

BTW, is the BDB encore on the WC finals disk?

Anyone know what the format is for the audio downloads?

So far the only places I can play wp3 is the PC and my car. Don't want to buy a new friggin' stereo if I want to hear this in the house. (Yeah would be interested in some corps.)

My problem with downloading is I have a crapload of CDs, here there and everywhere with music and personal pics. I follow Gadgets advice of having at least two copies. Problem is I have so many partial CDs it'll take me a weeks worth of vacation time to merge everything to make sense of it all (and cut down on the pile of CD holders).

PS - did have to reload my home PC from scratch last month due to a virus. Thank goodness for "Burn Baby Burn" (CDs that is).

Jim,

Do you mean MP3? If so, your DVD player will likely play it... Lots of them understand the PC file format, and MP3 stands for MPeg1 audio level 3, or close to that.

Look, I'm a filmmaker and the only reason I ever buy the DVD anyway is to see myself close-up, in awesome camera angles that make everything much more cinematic than it is when just sitting there in the audience at Finals.

That being said, I am perfectly fine with this whole digital download business, as long as it is complete with the multiple camera angles that I always look so forward to seeing every year.

Also, the download better be #### good quality.

I was originally much more ###### about this whole thing, but as long as it's an HD, multi-camera video, I'm fine.

...so please tell me it is...

Jim,

Do you mean MP3? If so, your DVD player will likely play it... Lots of them understand the PC file format, and MP3 stands for MPeg1 audio level 3, or close to that.

Yeah mp3 sounds like the one :cool: That's a good idea but the stereo speakers still sound a lot better than the ones in the TV. Not that great of a stereo but at least I can move the speakers to fit the room better.

LOL, got confused cuz I was trying to convert some video to a format that my older DVD player could handle. Had the software before to do it but had to reload my PC from scratch due to a killer of a virus. Now the PC has the latest version of the O/S but can't reload the video software from the original crash disk.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I just feel that having something tangible still means something to people. Like I could have my hard drive wiped and forever lose that video of a 2010 show. However, the 2009 DVD I will always have. That's just my opinion on it I guess. Perhaps I'm old fashioned in that respect.

It meant something to about 100 people in 2009, from what I was told.

I'm glad DCI is offering OC in some sort of media than not offering it at all. I was also wondering about this after looking at the online store.

I will try the digital download as it will be faster than waiting for delivery. It should be more reliable than getting my order screwed up or put at the bottom of the ordering pile (and forgotten).

Maybe they'll include a soundclip of a UPS truck breaking when the download is done.

You are right, and have the right attitude. Will adjust mine to match.

Man, no DVD's.

Just found out that there aren't any medals being handed out to staff members anymore. (Wondering if this is true in WC, too??)

rough....

The staff has not received medals for at least the last 10 years in Div 2/3/ -Open Class.