G7 and Open Class

If we had a Drum Corps Mid-West still, the problem would be solved.

Surley something similiar could be put together.

I've been to a couple Open Class shows and come away just as or more satisfied than from a World Class Show.

What brings me to World Class show is Madison Scouts, Troopers, Boston and Crown. The Cadets are starting to win me back slowly.

What I like about the Open class Corps is the differences between the Corps. I like seeing size differences and instrumentation number differences and how the corps work with what they have be it a 50 piece hornline or a 14 piece hornline.

It would be nice to see the Open Class get their own circuit where they could call the shots instead of taking leftovers.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the impression that I have from the proposal is that OC will be shut out of DCI. We're supposed to form some sort of regional tour, somehow.

Of course, this probably won't happen for many corps, so they will probably go extinct. With no tour, no DCI support, and no revenue streams from DCI, how will most of these outfits survive? The answer's simple: they won't. (Many feel that this is the precise goal of the G7; this will allow them to scoop up what talent, and revenue, they can garner from OC, and the other non-G7 corps. Yes, they really do exhibit that level of rapacious greed.)

Honestly, if the G7 proposal is enacted, it will be doomesday for most OC corps. That is why OC supporters have been amongst the most vehement opponents of this proposal.

Not sure about scooping the talent, at least with BD. BDB is a feed corp that is doing pretty well for about 3 years or so, and I don't think that BDA needs to raid talent from OC. If anything, some OC marchers will want to join BDA for the experience. I cannot speak for BD directly or for other corps, but that logic seems flawed a bit to me. Usually, I agree with you, but on this occasion, I have to doubt the reasoning. :thumbup:

One another note, I think that the original G7 proposal is pretty dead. Don't know about the world series tour however.

One question, didn't there used to be regional organizations?

One comment on DCI. They do a pretty poor job in supporting west coast based corps, including OC corps. Signing up finals in Indy for 10 years after a pretty successful Pasadena finals was not well received out here. When Dan was questioned about it, (comment was that Pasadena was well attended and it took 30 years to get championships to the west coast,) his response was that it would likely be another 30 years. My guess is that some sort of regional help is needed here. Not all corps can afford to get to Indy every year. BDB has only been to finals since 2007, SCVC goes every other year, and I am not sure about the others.

Well if all else fails, maybe could Open Class Corps merge, and drill like crazy organizationally to be able to qualify as a Div.1 Corps. It would be really more of a confederation, each corps keeping its title and reaching out to their respective recruiting community, while the kids go and march under a single title. "The Confederates!" lmao (only half-joking there)

This would have to be presented to the marching populace/recruiting bas as the only way for Open Class to survive until a new model is presented. Those who would want to march with Impulse would be classified as belonging to Impulse if/when the corps splits if/when the new model is introduced and each corps can resume duties in their own area.

So here in So. Cal we would have Impulse, Incognito, Mystikal, Gold (although they would probably want to go it alone.. they have the numbers... not sure what would happen with the instruments though). What the heck BDB or SCVC would do is beyond me... since they're sponsored/tied to G7 corps.. except for move to world class which would defeat the purpose of their existences.

Velvet Knights. Thunder and Crusaders would have to merge.. Forte, Revolution and Genesis would merge. Music City... is kinda stranded Idk what they would do except merge with Racine Scouts, (Colt Cadets?) and Legends

Spirit of Newark, Raiders, Spartans and Legends could be candidates for a merger.

Stentors and Saints they've got several options.. merge and/or move to NE or the north mid-west.

As far as fund-raising, my knowledge is nill in that area...

just throwing it out there. It would probably be a herculean task but if the Crossmen are willing to help I'm sure they could give some pointers on how it's done.

I do not see this happening.... at all.

If Open Class was done for, I have no idea how I'd spend my summers :( I can't handle having weekdays with nothing to do!

Edited by wturner901

which is why i'm pretty sure the G7 proposal will pass in some way or another... DCI seems to be constantly moving in a manner threatening to Div 2/3 corps... (f### calling them open class...i hate that designation)

It's the same terminology that WGI uses. That, and prior to Division I, II, III in DCI, the classifications were All-Girls, A-60, A and Open at any given time in DCI's history. So it's nothing new here.

And please remember it's the open class corps directors who make the decisions about what is happening in the open class, not the DCI BoD.

I have been reading so much about the G7 in the World Class Forum, but as I looked at the section in the powerpoint presentation on Class A and Open Class I began to worry about it's impact to Open Class. From the way it is written, it seems that to be an active participant in Marching Major League, an Open Class Corps must qualify as a Class A corp or they are basically left to fend for themselves. Also, there is no information as to how an Open Class Corps can move up in Class as there is in World Class. It also does not address new corps entering the circuit since in the current system, all corps start in open class then after meeting certain requirements, are allowed to move to World Class, how will this work in the G7 model? Any thoughts on this?

Edited for clarity...

I think the G-7 thing is G-Hopkins. (coincidentally has 7 letters in his last name .. LOL) If George is successful in separating G-7 they will go on their own just like Star of Indiana did with "blast"; and DCI will continue with what is left.

DCA is not a viable option. it is set up as a totally different beast, and does not have the infrastructure in place to take on any type of touring corps.

it's time the OC corps make a stand, and market themselves better as DCI will only do so much of it.

anyone else notice the fantastic 5 package is gone and the only seat package available is for WC quarters semis and finals?

...I dunno, either, if DCA would be the best *bet* but, surely, with some planning and added infrastructure a junior division could be added. "Nats" for such a division would, out of necessity, not be a part of the All Age finals, and would have to be a separate thing...

AFA the SDCA, I think you're right about the "rules" being in the way, but the small, indoor corps format could be a viable option under any number of sets of rules. Here, format is key...the thought of, say, 50 person ensembles performing in gyms, judged in a drum corps manner, limited to a six week competitive "season" that would fit into the space left by the end of WGI and the first week in August (ya gotta have some time to learn the shows, eh?) and also limited geographically so the costs would be minimal...with perhaps band director support so even the high schools would have entries...well, something like THAT would definitely work. I have about 450 kids in three programs and two thirds of them are priced out of DC, and the other third work so hard during the winter that very few participate in drumcorps due to burnout...something along these minimalist lines may be the thing to appeal to ALL of these kids?!

cg

As president and founder of SDCA I would have to comment by saying that if there is no other alternative for the open class corps to find competition SDCA would adopt another division. Currently we have SDCA Arena; we could develop "SDCA FIELD". Just as the smaller corps dictate they needs and requirements and rules the "FIELD" division would dictate theirs. We had discussed the possibility of SDCA Field last year and it is a simple recipe. We would just need the corps to approach us and it would be done. Incidentally, we are currently talking to people who are looking for SDCA Arena California, SDCA Arena Eastern Midwest and SDCA Arena EAST Coast.

Edited by Arena Corps Guy

As president and founder of SDCA I would have to comment by saying that if there is no other alternative for the open class corps to find competition SDCA would adopt another division. Currently we have SDCA Arena; we could develop "SDCA FIELD". Just as the smaller corps dictate they needs and requirements and rules the "FIELD" division would dictate theirs. We had discussed the possibility of SDCA Field last year and it is a simple recipe. We would just need the corps to approach us and it would be done. Incidentally, we are currently talking to people who are looking for SDCA California, SDCA Eastern Midwest and SDCA EAST Coast.

Intriguing. :tongue:

What about an SDCA Southwest, so that the 3 OC corps from Texas would have an opportunity to perform locally?

Or is 3 corps too small, to have enough critical mass for such a tour? Or would these 3 corps have to join one of the tours in California or the Midwest? :innocent:

Apparently, the DCA folks have no intention of moving Finals up on the calendar - or moving them to a location that is more in the center of the country. So moving the OC corps to DCA is a non-starter.

How does the fact that DCA isn't interested in making it's all-age season shorter rule it out as an option for OC? Just have the OC championships earlier, when the kids can still make it.

Not that I'm advocating for this idea - I'm not sure it's in the best interest either of DCA's current members OR of the OC corps. Just saying that the existing all-age schedule itself isn't an impediment.

How does the fact that DCA isn't interested in making it's all-age season shorter rule it out as an option for OC? Just have the OC championships earlier, when the kids can still make it.

Not that I'm advocating for this idea - I'm not sure it's in the best interest either of DCA's current members OR of the OC corps. Just saying that the existing all-age schedule itself isn't an impediment.

So DCA would organize a second tour, with a second schedule and championship, held at an earlier date? Are they even interested in such a thing? Wouldn't this greatly expand their overhead costs? And would the "second" tour use the DCA rules, or the existing DCI rules?

I don't know. I am hearing a lot of alternatives, but they all have some sort of serious drawback.