Which 2010 show did you change your opinion on the most?

Blue Devils. I was really lost the first couple times I saw it, but after listening to it several more times on the APDs it all started to click.

SCV would be a strong second. I thought it was a snoozer at first but after getting a little familiar with the music and then especially seeing it from up high I really started to like it.

Interestingly enough, those were the first finalist corps shows I saw this year and I was like "man if I didn't like BD or SCV, it's going to be a disappointing year." By finals night, I enjoyed every single show in the top 12, the first time that's happened in the 15 years I have been going to these things.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier year: I watched The Cavaliers' 2008 "Samurai" on Fan Network the other day. All I could say was "wow". The music, percussion, brass, theme, etc. was just so awesome and unique, imo. It gets lost in the Phantom surge that year, but this 2008 Cavs "Samurai" show is vastly underrated, imo. I never recalled liking it this much in 2008, but I love it now.

I first saw "Samurai" on the Quarterfinals broadcast and was completely underwhelmed. Same with BD's "Constantly Risking Absurdity". Seeing both on the DVD high-camera view made all the difference --there's a whole plan and structure to those shows that the multicam views fail to catch-- though I still don't care for the Cavaliers' music, particularly in the opener.

Maybe you were away for the last 8 weeks of the season....

Curled up in the fetal position in her Crossmen jammies. :thumbup:

I would have to say Crown. I saw it early on that other site and was disappointed. However, after seeing it live at ATL and Indy I really, really liked it.

Shows that I saw early on that site and hoped to like once I saw them live, but still didn't - SCV and Blue Devils. Honestly, I think I may have enjoyed them less in person.

Here are my top 3:

Phantom: Wasn't too thrilled with this show at the beginning, but when I saw it live all I could do was smile and feel complete once the show was over. They are just sooooo good at expressing emotion in what they do. The music certainly helped. That soloist nailed it finals night. Probably my favorite show of the year.

Madison: I started the season with low expectations but those kids SOLD that show come finals day. The confidence was there, the crowd ate it up, and they brought it home. Something so fulfilling about classic drum corps performed with sheer emotion and energy. Just purely entertaining.

Cavies: I can't say that I still completely understand their show, but seeing it live at finals made me a believer. Their guard is INCREDIBLE. I spent more time watching them the second go around and the content of their show is ridiculous. Add to that their extremely high talent level and consistency and you get a seriously awesome spectacle. I thought the show was a bit cheesy the first time I saw it, but now I really respect its intricacies and intelligent design.

Honorable mention: BD

I wasn't sure how to feel about BD this year. The show had SO much going on I couldn't really grasp a whole lot. But all the recommendations to see it live and not just on the FN were legit. I saw it live and was BLOWN away. They were LOUD and the guard truly did their thing. I came to the conclusion that I like it (despite the cat on a piano part of the end of the show).

Every year I seem to find a show that on first view (live or on video) I simply don't care for, but over the course of the season really grows on me.

This year the show that really grew on me was Boston's "Thy Kingdom Come". On my first viewing, which was live in June, I just didn't care for it. However, by season's end it ranked in my top 5 personal favorites.

Anyone else have a show that really changed your opinion either way?

Blue Devils. I watched a couple of times on the fan network. I didn't like it. Then I saw it live in Houston. I still didn't like the concept or the arrangement but the talent couldn't be denied. I enjoyed it live just because of the execution. I think BD could perform a turd sandwich well enough to win DCI in any given year. :thumbup:

Blue Devils. The more I saw it the more I disliked it.

DANG it, iced tea all over the screen......................

( I was the opposite, 1st viewing was WTF but by end of season it was Oh My God )

Blue Devils with a caveat:

Upon first viewing on Fan Network I couldn't believe the credit the show was getting.

Then I saw it live. But oddly, only my opinion of the *visual* package changed. At no point during the season did they sell the music to me (they play beautifully, don't get me wrong. My issue is 100 percent with the arrangements) and I still don't care for it at all.

The visual, meanwhile, blew me away live. Best visual package on the field by far.

So, my opinion of the total package went from "Ugh" to "Yeah, ok, I gotcha now".

Maybe not enough to make it a favorite, but it was definitely the largest shift in opinion I had this year on a show.

At the beginning of the season, when Madison Scouts announced Gershwin, I was kind of disappointed. I have never really cared for Gershwin on the field and was less than impressed with Glassmen or Phantom performing Gershwin in the last decade. But I have to tell you, this year I saw the best arrangement of Gershwin I have ever seen on the field. Extremely well written, and performed the same way. And those 20 tubas..... AWESOME!!!!

Crossmen would be the 2nd most changed opinion. I wasn't sure I liked the Metheny arrangements the first time I saw the show, but it ended up growing on me alot.