Madison Scouts 2011

Dallas cowboys play all of their home games in Arlington Texas, do you take an issue there? The colts from Dubuque do their spring training throughout Iowa northern Illinois and also spend a limited number of days in Dubuque, that must bother you some as well. I've heard Boston does many camps in Florida, should the be the Florida crusaders?

Have you been to the complex outside Bloomington to even see what exactly you are hating on? Incase you didn't know, drum corps are LOUD and metronomes are LOUD their facility is in a pretty rural area with fields designed for drum corps usage. The only sound issue they have is noise ordinances after 9pm and on Sunday mornings to not disrupt the small church near the school, much better than angering the neighbors in a city and constantly having people complain.

Most of the members aren't from Wisconsin, much less Madison, should the group be limited to only Madison residents?

Did you know the scouts have played a private concert for a disabled persons living facility in Madison for the past 2 summers? Did you know that the 2010 members DID get to experience state street? Do some research before you say things you do not know the answer to

What's your beef with scouts? You come into a scouts thread, troll, then get caught in the heat of people who have logical answers and challenge yours. Finally you try comparing baseball and drum corps, seems kinda desperate.

I don't know drum corps was back in the time of the dinos, but today it's a lot of hard work and dedication to your show, members either know this or learn it quick, it's no longer a vacation. Its all about the best usage of time you have to perfect your product. Snow covered fields, storms, cold, etc. is not a good usage of the limited time you get, access to an indoor field and a generally better climate to rehearse in is a huge advantage in today's DCI, see last years show for proof

Edited by wcmello09
  • Like 2

Dallas cowboys play all of their home games in Arlington Texas, do you take an issue there? The colts from Dubuque do their spring training throughout Iowa northern Illinois and also spend a limited number of days in Dubuque, that must bother you some as well. I've heard Boston does many camps in Florida, should the be the Florida crusaders?

Have you been to the complex outside Bloomington to even see what exactly you are hating on? Incase you didn't know, drum corps are LOUD and metronomes are LOUD their facility is in a pretty rural area with fields designed for drum corps usage. The only sound issue they have is noise ordinances after 9pm and on Sunday mornings to not disrupt the small church near the school, much better than angering the neighbors in a city and constantly having people complain.

Most of the members aren't from Wisconsin, much less Madison, should the group be limited to only Madison residents?

Did you know the scouts have played a private concert for a disabled persons living facility in Madison for the past 2 summers? Did you know that the 2010 members DID get to experience state street? Do some research before you say things you do not know the answer to

What's your beef with scouts? You come into a scouts thread, troll, then get caught in the heat of people who have logical answers and challenge yours. Finally you try comparing baseball and drum corps, seems kinda desperate.

I don't know drum corps was back in the time of the dinos, but today it's a lot of hard work and dedication to your show, members either know this or learn it quick, it's no longer a vacation. Its all about the best usage of time you have to perfect your product. Snow covered fields, storms, cold, etc. is not a good usage of the limited time you get, access to an indoor field and a generally better climate to rehearse in is a huge advantage in today's DCI, see last years show for proof

Great post! Could not have said it better myself.

The difference is that they all play 81 games in their home city. You're really grasping for straws when there's no comparison.

Corps draw the " naming rights " usually from where they get much of the dough to run their Corps. It's not where the marchers, (or in pro sports where the players) are from. I have no idea where the Madison Scouts get the bulk of their dough from fund raising to run their Corps. But if it's not Indiana, then why should they say they are from Indiana ? If a Corps like the Boston Crusaders does the bulk of their fund rising and takes in their dough from these fund raising efforts from the residents of Florida, then that's where the naming rights should be, imo. But if they still do most of their fund raising off the genorosity of people from Massachusetts, then " The Boston Crusaders" seems apt, imo. Lets face it, if a Corps has members mostly from one region, but no dough.. there is no Corps, no matter where the marchers bed down at night in the off season..... As for the Pro Sports franchises, the pro sports leagues give out naming rights to franchisees based upon where the Owners with the big bucks invested in order to secure the sports franchises want to call " home ". The "New York" Giants, for example, don't play in the state of " New York" at all ( only Buffalo Bills do ). The " New York " Giants play in " New Jersey ". But so what ? The owners select the naming rights ( as was said above ). So it doesn't matter where the players are from, where the fans are from, where the team practices, nor even where the team plays it's " home games ".

Years ago, Corps got the bulk of the money and their marchers from a localized community. Those days are all gone. The community we see on the sides of the busses, typically is the region around which that Corps does a lot of it's fund raising to raise the dough to run it's Corps. It's no more complicated than that.

Edited by BRASSO

This post is right on the money. The Scouts aren't the Madison Scouts anymore. Why hasn't the name been changed to the Indiana Scouts, or the Bloomington Scouts? Yea...either one sounds awfully silly. It seems like a bad strategy to me to say that the Scouts are from Madison Wi when they aren't. Perhaps the Scouts should take a look at why they were kicked out of so many facilities instead of moving the corps 400 miles away. If the Scouts want the full support of Bloomington & Indiana, wouldn't a name change help in that effort? This whole thing seems like a 3 card monty type deal to me & is very confusing. It is sad that the Scouts members don't get to enjoy the city of Madison...State Street, the Parthenon Gyros, & all the rest. Madison is a great city. I'm sad that the Scouts are no longer from Madison, Wi.

honestly...find someplace in Madison willing to take them in. It's not like the corps was itching to leave.....

I love how some just jump all over the corps about this. From the looks of things, it's kinda clear madison wasn't exactly going out of their way to keep the corps there.

• Like 1

People are REALLY worked up about where the Scouts practice. They CLEARLY perform community service in Madison, something they are NOT obligated to do in today's competitive arena. Drum corps is different now. Let. It. Go. And let the Madison Scouts practice where it makes most sense to the Madison freakin' Scouts.

I can see the predicament for the Scouts: Stay in Madison and risk not having rehearsal facilities/members or move and risk alienating Madison alumni.

Many good corps have had to move from their originating city/location (Cadets, Crossmen, Southwind, etc.). In most cases, this movement was done as a last resort, to either remain financially solvent, recruit better talent, or remain actively competitive. I am certain that this is the case this year with the Scouts.

Now having said this, the situation becomes more problematic because the corps in question isn't known or marketed as "The Scouts." To the fans and alumni, they are "Madison." Few elite corps have had this issue, most notably and recently, Garfield in 1989. Perhaps it is Madison's iconic victory in 1975, the history of drum corps in Wisconsin, or the attitude of excellence that "The Men from Madison" (even low-placing years) have exhibited that always draws fans.

I understand the bittersweet disconnect that many fans/alumni are feeling right now; to this day, I can't watch a Baltimore Ravens game. However, the connection between professional sports and drum corps can not be more delineated in this conversation; professional sports teams have the financial backing that a World Class drum bugle corps can only dream. Additionally, no mention of a name change to the corps has been made, so at least this part of "the change" has been spared.

The history of "The Scouts" will remain intact. Sure, new people will come and go, new members will come from diverse places, marching members will look younger and younger the older we get, and the corps will experience some ups and downs, as every corps does. Nothing will take away from the success that the corps has experienced. If you are a fan, try to support the corps and the difficult decision it was forced to make. Otherwise, find a different corps. The Scouts will live on with or without the negative attitudes.

• Like 2

So to move on, whats gonna be borrowed? Florida Suite. That wouldnt suck.

I could handle some Florida Suite. Or maybe Time Check/Time out from their 83 show?