Madison Scouts 2011

I think the Scouts would have a hard time beating the Bluestars if they got rid of the scaffolds and did some better drill. As is is I think the Scouts start out slightly ahead tonight.

After watching both of the shows on the fan network the Blue Stars have a much harder visual package than the Scouts. I think the Scouts maybe, keyword "maybe", slightly cleaner right now because of the difficulty level, but once the Blue Stars clean up a just a little....

Can't wait to see the shows live tonight andreally get a much better idea of the drill. Fan network isn't always the best gauge

Scouts have a smart guard book and some awesome talent.. I'll put my money on passing BS BC & SCV on the guard sheets,, more then a few times this summer. :satisfied:

We will revisit this all season.

• Like 1

just watched the Scouts show on that forbidden site, and it's nice for late 80's early 90's. you've got all the requirements from that time, lots of scatter drill, lots of follow the leader drill, tear jerking moments, the pit members on large drums in the middle of the field. but I don't see it catching any of the top 8 if they all clean what they have. their shows just have more effect and if SCV gets theirs cleaned up they should easily put distance between them and Scouts. Haven't seen Boston yet, so maybe scouts can take them.

Scatter drill: Isn't this the most common criticism of modern BD? How can it be this outdated thing?

Follow the leader drill: An important and widely used maneuver, also not outdated at all.

Pit members were on large drums mid-field: Cadets 2000 is the last big use I can think of, although I'm sure to be missing some uses since. Nonetheless, that's hardly a late 80's/early 90's show.

I'm not even going to touch the "tear jerking moments" one. The implication that emotional effect is antiquated rubs me in all the wrong ways. I don't want to watch shows you prefer if you don't want to feel anything.

I won't get into trying to prove what will happen tonight as it's insubstantial, but I don't think Madison's show is going to be missing any effect, nor are they by any means maxing out an easy show (I could see plenty of issues just on YT, and I consider that a healthy thing at this point).

• Like 2

Scouts have a lot of room for improvement....and I would expect that the last 1/3 of the drill will be changed by year's end...as it's, to me, a bit on the lame side compared to the rest of their drill/show. With respect to the comparison to BD....how many times do we need to see BD follow the leader and/or march for 8 counts....form straight lines...park and blow, etc? Scouts' show will surpass BD in fan approval...and many others. The placement may not show it....but their show, right now, is a whole lot more exciting than BD. Scouts' show is much improved over last year....and will certainly get even better as the years go on....so one thing at a time, I guess.

Scatter drill: Isn't this the most common criticism of modern BD? How can it be this outdated thing?

Follow the leader drill: An important and widely used maneuver, also not outdated at all.

Pit members were on large drums mid-field: Cadets 2000 is the last big use I can think of, although I'm sure to be missing some uses since. Nonetheless, that's hardly a late 80's/early 90's show.

I'm not even going to touch the "tear jerking moments" one. The implication that emotional effect is antiquated rubs me in all the wrong ways. I don't want to watch shows you prefer if you don't want to feel anything.

I won't get into trying to prove what will happen tonight as it's insubstantial, but I don't think Madison's show is going to be missing any effect, nor are they by any means maxing out an easy show (I could see plenty of issues just on YT, and I consider that a healthy thing at this point).

• Like 1

Scouts have a lot of room for improvement....and I would expect that the last 1/3 of the drill will be changed by year's end...as it's, to me, a bit on the lame side compared to the rest of their drill/show.

Agreed, and knowing the design staff, that was probably the intent from day one.

With respect to the comparison to BD....how many times do we need to see BD follow the leader and/or march for 8 counts....form straight lines...park and blow, etc? Scouts' show will surpass BD in fan approval...and many others. The placement may not show it....but their show, right now, is a whole lot more exciting than BD. Scouts' show is much improved over last year....and will certainly get even better as the years go on....so one thing at a time, I guess.

Also agreed -- I only brought up the BD comparisons to show that scatter drill and follow the leader moves were not "old hat," as it were. Also, to my memory scatter drill only really happens one time, and the follow-the-leader drill involves MANY sharp angle turns for everyone involved, which is not easy by any means. Just because it's follow-the-leader doesn't mean it's easy/outdated/anything. It's just one technique out of many that almost every corps uses every year.

• Like 1

You start to see comments like these as a defense mechanism from fans who are nervous that you might actually beat their corps. See the same thing with sports fans. Nothing new.

• Like 5

You start to see comments like these as a defense mechanism from fans who are nervous that you might actually beat their corps. See the same thing with sports fans. Nothing new.

nope no worries - just what I see when I watched the show. thinking you plop this show down in 87-93 and that's one fine show and would compete with the best of them. but in 2011 I just don't see the show as having the oomph that the other corps above them have, except Boston since I haven't seen what they have yet. So personally I see this show as an enjoyable fan favorite that will have the crowd cheering, but competitively I see them about the same place as last year in relation to the top corps.

• Like 1

1. How a writer could so beautifully portray a series of emotions through the arrangement of requiem into the hope building , heart booming, air punching finale, and

Robert Smith - he's been writing like that for over 25 years. One of the best.

• Like 1

Here's my deal on it. Does he show have a lot of room for improvement, yes, and they will.

That being said. The visual program at the end of the show is lacking, I agree. However, have those of you criticizing it put any thought into the fact that they have a complete show on the field, something some of the "Top 6" very rarely have done in the last 10 years or so at this point of the season. Do you know that this is the production design they will be using all the way until the end of the season?

When I marched in '99, we performed 4 versions of our ballad in Jesus Christ Superstar before the finals version was fully realized. We also started the closer that year with our cross to star drill combo as the intro to the closer. Then learned the version you see on video, while still performing the old one until the new version was cleaner.

My point is it is absurd to say they're out of the hunt because the show needs to grow.

Saying it's a late 80's/early 90's show comes off to me as a point of someone who doesn't watch a great deal of drum corps. The whole big drums on the field, really? That's not something we can see anymore because it's "old." Hmmm.

The emotion thing...are looking for sterile boring programs that leave us wanting to feel more. Call me old school, but I would like if more corps, if not most corps had something that I could feel in their show. I would much rather that than some fancy drill and articulated brass music that doesn't stretch beyond mezzo forte. If I wanted that, I would watch some of the original shows the Cavaliers put out...but come to think of it, they're not doing that anymore either? :blink: ?

Sorry, just my thoughts.

If we're going to argue points about when a show comes from, let's maybe do a little more research though so that our comments make sense and aren't just over-generalizing a few things people did 20 years ago.

• Like 2