Madison Scouts 2011

If anybody knows, what exactly is the problem with the licensing? This is a kids oriented non-profit activity, so why are the owners of the song so adamant that it can't be heard other than live?

It's one of the many complications of living in an "intellectual property" age. I'm not an insider, but I get the impression that it's not so much the owners being adamant, but rather that there is a complex series of hoops that all corps must jump through in order to get permission, and it's possible that every single "permissions" hoop was not present and accounted for. That's my take on it, anyway.

Edited by byline

..and it's possible that every single "permissions" hoop was not present and accounted for. That's my take on it, anyway.

Actually the licencing people took the hoop away. Madison did everything right. They asked all the right people, jumped though all the right hoops. Then they were told 'NO you can't use it'. Madison/DCI were denied the rights.

The interesting thing about this show is how I watched it before knowing its underlying theme - not really understanding it completely. However, once I heard what it was about, for some reason, it just all clicked. And by quarters/semis, I thought it was very, very well designed/performed. I remember sitting in the theater on Thursday with chills on my arms as they wrapped up their show. It really made me wish I went out of my way to make it up to Indy this year.

• Like 1

Actually the licencing people took the hoop away. Madison did everything right. They asked all the right people, jumped though all the right hoops. Then they were told 'NO you can't use it'. Madison/DCI were denied the rights.

Ah, OK. I never had the impression that Madison did anything wrong, just that certain permissions were slower in coming than others. I was never sure if it was an outright rejection. If it was, then I'm surprised at ESOF making it into the finals clip. The fact that it's still up makes me hopeful that the issue has been resolved.

Edited by byline

The interesting thing about this show is how I watched it before knowing its underlying theme - not really understanding it completely. However, once I heard what it was about, for some reason, it just all clicked. And by quarters/semis, I thought it was very, very well designed/performed.

That's bizarre, I was thinking the same thing. :blink:

I didn't like Madison's overall show all year, then somehow I attained enlightenment in the last week, and I began to really appreciate how the entire production was brilliantly put together. We had happy beginning, then some death and destruction, then a magnificent recovery by The People in the closer.

I will only speak for myself, and I mean no disrespect for the Scouts, but even though I can appreciate how the show was put together thematically, I am still not a fan of death and destruction shows commemorating the deaths of 5,000 people.

For the record, I was not a fan of Phantom's 2008 Spartacus show with all its death and destruction, for the same reason.

• Like 1

Guess someone has never heard of coping mechanisms...

This is a long way from what Mr. Komnick said here on July 2. That was more than a month ago, so perhaps something has changed.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:35 AM (#1190) ckomnick

At this point in time, the synchronization rights to "Empire State of Mind" have not been secured. The Madison Scouts have secured the ability to arrange and perform the piece, but the sale of synchronized video content has not yet been granted and DCI has appropriately decided to mute the replay content on the Fan Network to avoid any possible infringement at this time. This does not affect the broadcasts of live performances, only the replay of them.

We have been furiously trying to resolve this issue for over 7 months. Due to the popularity of the piece and the numerous artists involved in its creation, it has proven to be vary challenging. Let's just say that drum corps licensing is not a high priority for the agencies involved with a pop tune like ESOM.

We are continuing to aggressively secure a license and we appreciate your patience as we work through these matters.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

This is a long way from what Mr. Komnick said here on July 2. That was more than a month ago, so perhaps something has changed.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:35 AM (#1190) ckomnick

At this point in time, the synchronization rights to "Empire State of Mind" have not been secured. The Madison Scouts have secured the ability to arrange and perform the piece, but the sale of synchronized video content has not yet been granted and DCI has appropriately decided to mute the replay content on the Fan Network to avoid any possible infringement at this time. This does not affect the broadcasts of live performances, only the replay of them.

We have been furiously trying to resolve this issue for over 7 months. Due to the popularity of the piece and the numerous artists involved in its creation, it has proven to be vary challenging. Let's just say that drum corps licensing is not a high priority for the agencies involved with a pop tune like ESOM.

We are continuing to aggressively secure a license and we appreciate your patience as we work through these matters.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

This is what I remember Chris posting. Thanks for the reminder!