Madison Scouts 2011

I am still not a fan of death and destruction shows commemorating the deaths of 5,000 people.

I respect your viewpoint....I just prefer to think of it as a celebration of millions of surviviors who persevered!

I will only speak for myself, and I mean no disrespect for the Scouts, but even though I can appreciate how the show was put together thematically, I am still not a fan of death and destruction shows commemorating the deaths of 5,000 people.

I have to say I agree with this - I do understand what was being done as a total show, and I thought the closer was brilliant, but the middle third of the show... I can't do it. Doesn't seem right to me.

That said, if others like it, more power to them. Doesn't make me any less excited about the Scouts' prospects for 2012. :smile:

Mike

but the middle third of the show... I can't do it. Doesn't seem right to me.

Mike

Understandable.... validates the power of what was communicated though.

I have to say I agree with this - I do understand what was being done as a total show, and I thought the closer was brilliant, but the middle third of the show... I can't do it. Doesn't seem right to me.

That said, if others like it, more power to them. Doesn't make me any less excited about the Scouts' prospects for 2012. :smile:

Mike

that's interesting because I thought the middle of the show was the best part and most exciting. i thought the show really dropped after the end of the drum solo section. and really dropped off after the end of requiem. I did not care for the closer at all and don't understand why everyone was getting so emotional and excited during that piece. felt kinda boring and dull to me, especially after the exciting lead up through the drum solo.

• Like 4

I will only speak for myself, and I mean no disrespect for the Scouts, but even though I can appreciate how the show was put together thematically, I am still not a fan of death and destruction shows commemorating the deaths of 5,000 people.

I truly mean no disrespect to this poster, but I believe it is important to be accurate with these kinds of things.

from Wikipedia:

Nearly 3,000 victims and the 19 hijackers died in the [9/11] attacks. Among the 2,753 victims who died in the attacks on the World Trade Center were 343 firefighters and 60 police officers from New York City and the Port Authority, and 8 private emergency medical technicians and paramedics. Another 184 people were killed in the attack on the Pentagon.

I mean no disrespect to the dead or the living; obviously these events were truly tragic regardless of the exact number of casualties. Nevertheless, in this age of rampant misinformation we all must hold ourselves to a higher standard of honesty and truthfulness in all modes of communication.

• Like 2

that's interesting because I thought the middle of the show was the best part and most exciting. i thought the show really dropped after the end of the drum solo section. and really dropped off after the end of requiem. I did not care for the closer at all and don't understand why everyone was getting so emotional and excited during that piece. felt kinda boring and dull to me, especially after the exciting lead up through the drum solo.

Fair enough. I get that it's personal taste.

Mike

I truly mean no disrespect to this poster, but I believe it is important to be accurate with these kinds of things.

from Wikipedia:

Nearly 3,000 victims and the 19 hijackers died in the [9/11] attacks. Among the 2,753 victims who died in the attacks on the World Trade Center were 343 firefighters and 60 police officers from New York City and the Port Authority, and 8 private emergency medical technicians and paramedics. Another 184 people were killed in the attack on the Pentagon.

I mean no disrespect to the dead or the living; obviously these events were truly tragic regardless of the exact number of casualties. Nevertheless, in this age of rampant misinformation we all must hold ourselves to a higher standard of honesty and truthfulness in all modes of communication.

To me, that would be like not showing all of the videos, etc., from 9-11 because it's might just be hard to view....hard to grasp....as if we don't need reminders. Well....I think we do need reminders....and the Scouts did a totally appropriate program...and to think of it in a day in time....from morning until sometime after....I think the total impact of the show was very meaningful....and quite positive, for that matter. On that note....the only reason I didn't care much for....in total....for the middle part of the show....is that I think it was too long and just too bombastic and scattered. Their score represents this. Overall, a great concept....and gutsy as well. I just thought it was well done and not over the top. On to 2012!

• Like 1

I thought the show was old school Madison and done in great taste. Congrats to the Scouts loved the last part from the drum solo out. I must have watched it a 100 times while I had the semi's. Keep it up and can't wait to see what you come up with next Year.

• Like 2

Just got to see the Drum Corps World email blast from a few days back. VERY nice comments about the show and I think the vein the corps would like to be thought of in. (poor english? sorry!)

Great season guys! Thank you one and all! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This show touched me...it hit a chord. I have a horrid 9/11 story that has affected me to this day & will for a lifetime (even been diagnosed with PTSD). I loved this show so much, It's indescribable the emotions that poured out of Me after the drum break to the end. I understand people will be uncomfortable with what it was depicting, but it was very tastfully done.

• Like 4