Madison Scouts 2011

I was just going to post this. I'm so glad they sorted that out! (And hope it doesn't get taken away)

Enjoy it while you can. The Atlanta Regional had ESoM on it for a while only to be taken down and edited the same day.

• Like 1

Enjoy it while you can. The Atlanta Regional had ESoM on it for a while only to be taken down and edited the same day.

So do you know for a fact that's going to happen or are you just being negative?

• Like 1

So did the Scouts change or add anything to the ending???

Yes...the change was they brought the house to their feet even earlier than they had in prelims or semis...the best change of all.

Thank you Scouts for another great show this year. In a year of great shows from many corps, you win the prize for getting the most emotional response from the crowd.

I guarantee none of the folks standing a cheering during the last 90 seconds of your show were thinking anything close to "wonder what this will score?"

The score didn't matter to us.

• Like 3

So do you know for a fact that's going to happen or are you just being negative?

I don't think he's trying to be negative...just stating the facts. I'm afraid the copyright issue probably has not been resolved. If they can't put the music on the DVD I hope they edit the video to show just how long the crowd was on their feet cheering.

I don't think he's trying to be negative...just stating the facts.

Thank you.

I'm not at all trying to be negative. Just warning. I got my hopes up with Atlanta...

In fact, right after they edited that show is when I contacted DCI to ask about the licencing status and DCI replied that they received a "definite NO"

As of now, we have received a definite "No" from the licensing companies for Empire State of Mind. Unfortunately, unless the situation is somehow changed, the DVD's will not include the audio for that part. If it happens that they give us the rights after the DVD's have sent, we will find a way to get the complete audio to fans.

So like I said, Enjoy it while you can.

Like it or not, Madison finishing in 10th place this year is a big disappointment. I'm a homer...an alum...I want nothing more that to see the Scouts return to top 6, but if they don't fix the drill & drums problems, it wont happen.

I would not go as far as saying 10th is a disappointment....as far as "disappointments" go. Yes, you may be disappointed....I too am disappointed...but more in the sense that I find it hard to understand that the show didn't grow in points for the last two weeks of the season....just stayed flat....even though there was a lot of cleaning. So...from a judging standpoint, I don't get it at all. Not to knock on BK...but the Scouts' show was a ton more impressive....just not as easy and clean....so that is what you get, I guess.

You are correct....drill was kind of all over the place. I know there is/was a concept there....just didn't do it for me. Drums....yes, needs to be addressed....probably already has. Hopefully they get more quality applicants in future years....which I think will happen. IMO, if you are a kid looking into the Scouts....this year's show was a huge advertising hit and will certainly generate more interest. I am really looking forward to next year's program....and to see what the talent level looks like. I am already thinking top 8.....or bust!

And....while I was hoping for better than 10th...this year's show was easily the best 10th place show ever!

I would not go as far as saying 10th is a disappointment....as far as "disappointments" go. Yes, you may be disappointed....I too am disappointed...but more in the sense that I find it hard to understand that the show didn't grow in points for the last two weeks of the season....just stayed flat....even though there was a lot of cleaning. So...from a judging standpoint, I don't get it at all. Not to knock on BK...but the Scouts' show was a ton more impressive....just not as easy and clean....so that is what you get, I guess.

You are correct....drill was kind of all over the place. I know there is/was a concept there....just didn't do it for me. Drums....yes, needs to be addressed....probably already has. Hopefully they get more quality applicants in future years....which I think will happen. IMO, if you are a kid looking into the Scouts....this year's show was a huge advertising hit and will certainly generate more interest. I am really looking forward to next year's program....and to see what the talent level looks like. I am already thinking top 8.....or bust!

And....while I was hoping for better than 10th...this year's show was easily the best 10th place show ever!

You know I love the Scouts but I hate scatter drill and there was just a whole lot of that this year. Hard to judge I would think.

• Like 1

I am SO glad I finally got to see the corps live on Friday and Saturday. The crowd's anticipation before they started reminded me of being in the stands in 1974 before the start of Hawthorne's show. Absolutely electric.

There's so many ways that 9/11 could have been treated in a trite, preachy fashion. Madison hit all the right notes in their approach(no pun intended). This is a show people will be talking about for years to come, long after they've forgotten the score.

Congratulations.

I am SO glad I finally got to see the corps live on Friday and Saturday. The crowd's anticipation before they started reminded me of being in the stands in 1974 before the start of Hawthorne's show. Absolutely electric.

There's so many ways that 9/11 could have been treated in a trite, preachy fashion. Madison hit all the right notes in their approach(no pun intended). This is a show people will be talking about for years to come, long after they've forgotten the score.

Congratulations.

Jim, I saw the Scouts perform at the Texas Bandmasters Convention this past July. Jim Mason, Thom Hannum, and Robert W. Smith all spoke about the design elements of this year's show. I have to say that this year's show is now one of my all time favorites. I am just hoping that the closer "Empire State of Mind" is allowed on the DVD/Blue Ray. I would be very disappointed if it wasn't.

Congratulations to the staff and performers of the Scouts for a great 2011 season!

Exactly. My fear was that they would treat it too literally and go over the top, which could have backfired in so many ways. They used a deft touch with an emotionally complex subject, treating it with a good deal of sensitivity and respect (easier said than done). They didn't beat the audience over the head with "THIS IS WHAT OUR SHOW IS ABOUT!!!" Instead, they left much to the audience's imagination . . . and it's not like we had to work very hard to fill in the blanks. I'm grateful to Madison for respecting their audience's intelligence, and also the people whose lives and memories they portrayed. Yes, the drill could have been a bit cleaner, but overall this show came together in exactly the right way for me. Thank you, Madison!