Madison Scouts 2011

^ Completely agree. Wonderful, brave show. Thank you Madison Scouts.

• Like 1

We had to wait for the hotel shuttle longer than we wanted to, so we missed Spirit and watched Blue Stars from the side. As we moved to our seats, the crowd started going nuts! We turned around to see the Scouts entering from the back corner. The crowd was cheering with the same intensity that they had just shown the end of Blue Stars show for the Scouts merely entering the field! Then, the crowd was on their feet and cheering wildly from the second chorus of ESOM to the end. I got some video of the closer and the crowd reaction on my phone. It was awesome to see!

I know we've had some people on here that say it's just the homers that apply the "crowd favorite" label to the Scouts, but judging from the view in section 444, the crowd's engagement spoke volumes.

Didn't stick around for retreat and scores, so I didn't get to see or hear how all that was received, but they definitely got the longest ovation of the night.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

Jim, I saw the Scouts perform at the Texas Bandmasters Convention this past July. Jim Mason, Thom Hannum, and Robert W. Smith all spoke about the design elements of this year's show. I have to say that this year's show is now one of my all time favorites. I am just hoping that the closer "Empire State of Mind" is allowed on the DVD/Blue Ray. I would be very disappointed if it wasn't.

Congratulations to the staff and performers of the Scouts for a great 2011 season!

Speaking of Hannum, this years Scouts drum book wasn't one of his better efforts.

• Like 1

My son marched in Boston this year,I enjoyed Madison's show, thought the closer was a must see DCI moment this year. As close as the two corps were score wise, I couldn't help but rock to Madison's closer. That to me is good drum corps. Keep up the great work balancing entertaining the crowd and pleasing the judges. It's a fine line to walk, I personally like to see some in your face drum corps, and I am happy to see some corps still pull it off. Good Luck next year, just don't beat us. hahaha Thanks, we spent many a night together this year with a great bunch of kids from both corps. God Bless

• Like 2

If it's an internet vote type of thing it will probably be Crown. All the kiddies love Crown. Madison was clearly the crowd favorite in the stands by far!

I'm 55 and have been an avid drum corps fan for more than 30 years!!! :mad: So what I'm trying to say is...

Thanks for calling me a kiddie! :thumbup:

+++

I'm listening to Scouts semis version of ESOM right now. I just can't enough of it. What a great arrangement, and what a great performance.

If anybody knows, what exactly is the problem with the licensing? This is a kids oriented non-profit activity, so why are the owners of the song so adamant that it can't be heard other than live?

Edited by wvu80

I'm just happy to see Scouts in Finals for consecutive years. It doesn't feel right without them there.

Mike

Any DCI Finals with a competing Madison Scouts Corps not in it, is like watching an Elvis impersonation show in Vegas. The guy can be real good.

But the show would be missing something.

Madison Scouts ? They'd be the real Elvis in the show.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Any DCI Finals with a competing Madison Scouts Corps not in it, is like watching an Elvis impersonation show in Vegas. The guy can be real good.

But the show would be missing something.

Madison Scouts ? They'd be the real Elvis in the show.

Joining us from Madison, Wisc with their 2012 production "The Real Elvis"....the Madison Scouts.

I watched the Saturday's retreat on the computer - a lot of shots were from the back of the field with Madison in the middle of the shot. There was a group of guys at the back of Madison's formation that had one guy in the middle with maybe 8 guys around him in a circle - they kept rotating clockwise every minute or so. Was that just the guys having a little fun? Or is there some history to this? (sorry if this has been asked before - as I've noted, I'm a recent returnee to the activity).