Madison Scouts 2011

I'll renew the suggestion I made after '08:

Madison 2011: Music from The Incredibles.

As I said then: "Saving Metroville" and "The Incredits" are fantastic vehicles for the Scouts. I know the superhero thing blew up in their faces in '09, but I think it's still entirely possible for Madison to explore this without going silly/cheesy. And if anybody can do it, it's Jim Mason.

Hummmm...I just might have to pull out my (ahem, I mean my daughter's) DVD just to check out the music.

Knowing Jim Mason the show is already ready to go for 2011 and they're just waiting to hand out music at the first camp.

Done.

and the Scouts may still be the youngest top 12 corps for 3 more years running.......

• Like 1

I'll renew the suggestion I made after '08:

Madison 2011: Music from The Incredibles.

As I said then: "Saving Metroville" and "The Incredits" are fantastic vehicles for the Scouts. I know the superhero thing blew up in their faces in '09, but I think it's still entirely possible for Madison to explore this without going silly/cheesy. And if anybody can do it, it's Jim Mason.

Jubal did this in 2006. It was pretty decent for an open class corps. But it doesn't really have the kind of sustained power that says "Madison." Too cutesy.

If I could pick one "retro" piece for the corps to re-do, it would be Numero Uno.

( all in fun people, all in fun...I loved every show this year )

Well, if we are going to compare shows to food, I can't think of a better meal to eat every day than specials # 10 or #11 :whistle:

1) acid laced brownies ( nice trip but maybe once in a lifetime )

2) prozac laced institutional cafateria food from the asylum ( I eat in the school cafateria wher prozac SHOULD be added)

3) Something modern I don't know and have never tasted ( umm, YOU try it and tell me if it's any good)

4) yesterdays leftovers mixed with todays special ( both are great but I'd like a seperate portion of each)

5) A great classical meal with some little brat running around the table sticking his fingers in my food ala Helen Keller ?

6) 2 quarts of light cream on a delicate truffel ( sp ? ) with toast points and spring water

7) A large portion of blue cheese and crackers with a dry wine ( even though I love blue cheese, every meal ? )

8) Blue plate special that keeps disappearing from my plate keeps me hungry

9) Communion wafers ? Really? every meal ?

10) Meatloaf, potatoes, green peas, salad, fresh bread & butter, ice tea and apple pie

11) Geat variety of snack and stadium food, hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries, pizza and $8 soft drinks ( these pretzels are making me thirsty)

12) Fasting in prayer

and, as an honorable mention. WAFFLES

:smile::tongue::blink:

Great post! But can somebody please explain to me the Waffle joke?

(though honestly I wouldn't mind them diving into some progressive rock/metal when their talent catches up to the hype in full force!)

YES! I wanna see a corps do some music from very underground bands...Animals as leaders, Cyclamen, maybe even Between the buried and me. Of course these would all be effin crazy in terms of difficulty (time sig changes everywhere and poly rhythms up the butt) but I would give a giant hug to every member of staff for doing it.

"I like Waffles!" Just a standard response when a thread is just stupid but you don't really want to tell the OP the thread as just stupid. :smile:

• Like 1

Met Jim, Jr. Knew his Mom and Dad pretty well (I think of Jim Sr. as a wonderful mentor), and hmm- if Jim would read this- perhaps take a look at something I believe he was involved with a long time ago and re-visit it.

How about Clifton Williams' Symphonic Dance #3, "Fiesta" ???

If anyone could write a tasty, in your face Scouts version of that-- he certainly could, and if he did, it'd be way cool. :smile:

Correct, Jimmer was involved a long time ago with Clifton Williams Symphonic Dance #3. He did an arrangement of this selection as an opener for the 1985 Troopers when Donnie was their brass caption head.

I don't remember anyone saying that. The general feeling a year ago was that Mason and his staff would be able to put together a better show than the previous team because they had better skills - the programming was almost secondary.

But now that they've used two blasts from the past to re-establish the corps, they're going to have to start looking forward if they want to move up the ranks. Why the hell would anyone want their corps to only repeat stuff from the past? Surely the alums aren't that afraid of the corps looking forward.

Matt, plenty of folks expressed that exact opinion that going back to the 70's was a bad idea, and to be honest it was not an unreasonable opinion. No one could have known going in that the corps would do it as well as they did. Mason and company appear to be able to execute and deliver so whatever they do I am confident it will come off well on the field.

That said, I would guess there will be a little more re establishing the brand work to be done. Dont think it will be 70's necessarily although my favorite idea along those lines would be the 79 show. there was some awesome music in that but since the show wasnt a winner then I doubt they would redo it.

Malaguena? That sounds like asking for trouble but many said that when they announced Rhapsody and Slaughter. Maybe New York New York? Same kind of feel as the 2010 show (which was the reason it was chosen in 77)

Anyway dont have a clue what theyll do but Im sure its going to be gangbusters.

Edited by Scerpella
  • Like 1

I love meatloaf so anyone who doesn't like meatloaf pass it this way, I LOVE IT.

< que Monty Python's meatloaf and waffle skit >