Madison Scouts 2011

"Strawberry Soup"

Listen to a recording, and imagine what can be done with the piece in the current environment. Eleven minutes of jazz bliss!

Given the great season Madison had in 2010, if you were to continue the "re-branding" of Madison, what would your next concept be? Discuss!!

Awesome. :smile:

• Like 1

I know I will get flamed but I'm gonna say it - MALAGUENA!!

No reason to flame that. If the Scouts played Malaguena the crowd would explode! The only folks who would flame you for that are the same kids that come to Madison threads just to slam the Scouts.

• Like 1

In other words, a lot of people want Madison in 2011 to be Madison in 1980.

Makes me wonder if a lot of folks here want meatloaf and mashed potatoes every night for dinner. Comfort food has a place, but no one should be eating it every day.

( all in fun people, all in fun...I loved every show this year )

Well, if we are going to compare shows to food, I can't think of a better meal to eat every day than specials # 10 or #11 :whistle:

1) acid laced brownies ( nice trip but maybe once in a lifetime )

2) prozac laced institutional cafateria food from the asylum ( I eat in the school cafateria wher prozac SHOULD be added)

3) Something modern I don't know and have never tasted ( umm, YOU try it and tell me if it's any good)

4) yesterdays leftovers mixed with todays special ( both are great but I'd like a seperate portion of each)

5) A great classical meal with some little brat running around the table sticking his fingers in my food ala Helen Keller ?

6) 2 quarts of light cream on a delicate truffel ( sp ? ) with toast points and spring water

7) A large portion of blue cheese and crackers with a dry wine ( even though I love blue cheese, every meal ? )

8) Blue plate special that keeps disappearing from my plate keeps me hungry

9) Communion wafers ? Really? every meal ?

10) Meatloaf, potatoes, green peas, salad, fresh bread & butter, ice tea and apple pie

11) Geat variety of snack and stadium food, hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries, pizza and $8 soft drinks ( these pretzels are making me thirsty)

12) Fasting in prayer

and, as an honorable mention. WAFFLES

:smile::tongue::blink:

I don't remember anyone saying that. The general feeling a year ago was that Mason and his staff would be able to put together a better show than the previous team because they had better skills - the programming was almost secondary.

But now that they've used two blasts from the past to re-establish the corps, they're going to have to start looking forward if they want to move up the ranks. Why the hell would anyone want their corps to only repeat stuff from the past? Surely the alums aren't that afraid of the corps looking forward.

Says who? They moved up just fine this year didn't they? Or are classics only good for getting you INTO finals and no more? Pardon me while I roll my eyes. :smile: Like I said in my last post, I wouldn't put a lot past this design team.

And Mr. Sylvester made an interesting point at the quarters broadcast. He said that for every Blue Devils-type corps, there needs to be a Madison Scouts or Blue Knights (this year) to play to the crowd and be accessible. If that's the role this corps fills, then so be it.

Jesus Malaguena Remembers the Strawberry Mushrooms of Carmen Malaga

:smile:

Winner!

I'd love to hear another "Jim Prime Arranges Madison Classics" show, too...but if they wanted to go in a completely different direction, a full Michael Jackson (Thriller & Off the Wall era) show could be amazingly cool. Guard & DM wearing one white glove, all the opportunities for dance that DCI seems to love these days, and potentially a killer book as well.

Take your pick from "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," "Beat It," "Don't Stop til you Get Enough," "Workin' Day and Night"...just to name a few.

(just think about van Halen's guitar solo in "Beat It" as a scream soprano...err...trumpet solo; that'd have me throwing babies!

Says who? They moved up just fine this year didn't they? Or are classics only good for getting you INTO finals and no more? Pardon me while I roll my eyes. :smile: Like I said in my last post, I wouldn't put a lot past this design team.

And Mr. Sylvester made an interesting point at the quarters broadcast. He said that for every Blue Devils-type corps, there needs to be a Madison Scouts or Blue Knights (this year) to play to the crowd and be accessible. If that's the role this corps fills, then so be it.

Well, that's really the rub isn't it? If future top three's are going to be classics productions, it sure isn't reflecting in the judging. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but Mason stated his goal was to do a fan appeal show, actually if you closed your eyes you could hear George in his words. GH has often stated that his goal is to yank the fans out of their seats 3 times during a show. That would suggest that there is a formula to it. One could even suggest as the more innovative productions are rewarded, that a population of fans would be even more motivated to cheer for the classics. Oh dear...what's a designer to do? :tongue:

Edited by Plan9

Knowing Jim Mason the show is already ready to go for 2011 and they're just waiting to hand out music at the first camp.

I'll renew the suggestion I made after '08:

Madison 2011: Music from The Incredibles.

As I said then: "Saving Metroville" and "The Incredits" are fantastic vehicles for the Scouts. I know the superhero thing blew up in their faces in '09, but I think it's still entirely possible for Madison to explore this without going silly/cheesy. And if anybody can do it, it's Jim Mason.